PDA

View Full Version : Murdoch And The Message For Qantas.

Sunfish
17th Jul 2011, 23:34
I was once rounded on years ago in club for suggesting that Rupert Murdoch has less than stellar business ethics.

Events seem to confirm my later appreciation of that former part owner of Ansett Airlines, although he seemed to me to have been a very nice employer at the time, as was, I thought, Sir Peter - which probably goes to show how gullible I was in those days.

The events at the News of The World, are chronicled in the article below, and should in my opinion be a warning to those who don't believe that it is possible for a Toxic management culture to take hold in any company - even perhaps a publicly owned one like Qantas.

It has always been axiomatic that truth is stranger than fiction, as the Murdoch empire is proving.

It therefore follows that the ideas and speculation expressed here occasionally about Qantas - that Jetstar is a Judas Goat designed to allow the Qantas brand to be sold off to private interests, that Jetstar makes no money, that there are competing agendas at Qantas and that maximising public shareholder value might not be one of them, judging by apparently counter productive actions like the APA bid, that management is at best inept, etc. cannot be ruled out as the fever dreams of diseased (pilots and engineers) minds.

The other lesson to be drawn from this episode is obvious from the byline of this story - it hangs former Murdoch employee Rebekah Brooks out to dry and it comes from a Murdoch owned press. Qantas executives should expect to be sacrificed when the inevitable happens and make sure that their bonuses and other remuneration are not compromised when the axe falls.

Rebekah Brooks Arrested: Inside The Toxic Environment Of Her News Of The World :

"It was the kind of place you get out of and you never want to go back again." That's how one former reporter describes the News of the World newsroom under editor Rebekah Brooks, the ferociously ambitious titian-haired executive who ran Britain's top-selling Sunday tabloid from 2000 to 2003.

......"They were always seeking to get rid of people because it was a burn-out job. Their ideal situation was you work your nuts off for six months and they let you work there another six months," said the general news reporter.

"Every minute you spent there you felt that your employer hated you."

Rebekah Brooks Arrested: Inside The Toxic Environment Of Her News Of The World (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/17/rebekah-brooks-arrested-news-of-the-world-hacking_n_900941.html?1310930945)

And a P.S.:

News Limited shares should be a good buy shortly - just after Rupert resigns from all posts worldwide, which is inevitable. It is inconceivable that the questionable ethics exposed in Britain did not extend elsewhere in the empire.

AN1944
18th Jul 2011, 00:52
Abeles>>>gone>>>>holmesacourt >>> gone>>>murdoch>>>now getting his hawke?? All the boogers going how sad:d

Long Bay Mauler
18th Jul 2011, 02:12
The other lesson to be drawn from this episode is obvious from the byline of this story - it hangs former Murdoch employee Rebekah Brooks out to dry and it comes from a Murdoch owned press. Qantas executives should expect to be sacrificed when the inevitable happens and make sure that their bonuses and other remuneration are not compromised when the axe falls.

This makes me think about the freight scandal that engulfed not only Qantas,but also many other 'reputable' airlines.

I still can't believe that members of any airline board that was caught up in the cartel, were not fully aware or complicit in the whole affair. It just showed that the freight executives were prepared to go to gaol to protect their masters on the board,just like a mafia foot soldier does for a mob boss. The difference here being,the mafia will look after their own, whilst the airlines will just jettison the fall guy. In this case, Rebekah Brookes will probably do the same for Rupert.

I forget how many hundreds of millions of dollars were wasted in paying fines, yet the board is not willing to sign off on wage deals that cost less than 20% of the fines total.:ugh:

It would be interesting to draw up a ledger,and to calculate the cost of waging industrial campaigns against employees,fines for corrupt management practices,and poor decision making in fleet choices & closure of key inhouse maintenance facilities. surely we would be well over the billion dollar mark by now.