PDA

View Full Version : AIPA Billboards

Mud Skipper
17th Jul 2011, 19:07
Just saw the "QANTAS flight by QANTAS pilots" (or words to that effect) billboard on the right hand side of the M4 near the city end.
How long have they been up and are there any others?

Good to see AIPA trying this tack to spread the news, well done team.

Keg
17th Jul 2011, 23:00
A piccie would be great if someone can get one. :D

Servo
18th Jul 2011, 00:22
Seen one on the M5 yesterday as well! Great work, well done.

Will try and get a pic, but doing so at 110km/h (yeah right as if the traffic ever lets you do that) sounds a bit dodgy :E

Give it to them!

mcgrath50
18th Jul 2011, 02:27
Australian Mining. This is our story. (http://www.thisisourstory.com.au/)

Probably one of the best advertising campaigns in a long time. Turning a big evil, environment destroying corporation, into a community minded, family orientated, person.

Get onto this advertising agency!

Qantas_PIA
18th Jul 2011, 06:33
Billboards went up yesterday:D

SilverSleuth
18th Jul 2011, 09:36
So lets see one ??? Anybody?

amos2
18th Jul 2011, 09:47
Billboards!...how crass is that?

Tidbinbilla
18th Jul 2011, 10:24
Victoria Rd, Rozelle - Westbound just off the City West Link.

blueloo
18th Jul 2011, 10:29
Billboards!...how crass is that?

I reckon its a fair way down on the Crassometer compared to say....setting up other companies to crew and fly your flights.......

Mud Skipper
18th Jul 2011, 11:42
"When you board a QANTAS flight
You expect a QANTAS Pilot"

Stop looking, found the actual text.

Bruce, if you want to stop selling QF tickets that fine by us as well.
We don't have to pay for unsold tickets.

The Rebekah Brooks case gives us some hope I guess.

ejectx3
18th Jul 2011, 12:29
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/201/aipaadvertising.jpg
http://www.flightlevels.com/forums/showthread.php?36524-AIPA-Advertising

Fatguyinalittlecoat
18th Jul 2011, 22:49
Only in Sydney?

It's a big country.

Bigboeingboy
18th Jul 2011, 23:14
Its all about 6 years too late. Well done RH.

mcgrath50
19th Jul 2011, 00:10
ejectx, i think you need to log into the Qrewroom to see them, can you load them up to photobucket or something?

waren9
19th Jul 2011, 01:12
AIPA press conference televised on ABC24 right now

BrissySparkyCoit
19th Jul 2011, 08:18
At least someone is advertising the qantas brand......

rodchucker
19th Jul 2011, 10:09
Yeah with the massage place in the foreground...I can see the funny side of it.

amos2
19th Jul 2011, 11:04
Cheap tickets is all the punters want.
The billboards and the rest of the qantas tripe wont wash.
You'll find that out in time...

when it's too late!

1a sound asleep
19th Jul 2011, 11:07
MEL-CNS on bus 56 hours $900 return. $175 on Tiger. Plain stupid

LeadSled
19th Jul 2011, 14:43
MEL-CNS on bus 56 hours $900 return. $175 on Tiger. Plain stupid Or it shows how expensive it is to run a bus, compared to aircraft ---- same goes for trains, if you actually do the sums, minus the kind of subsidy most pax. rail gets ---- even though even I will admit that the lowest of the Tiger fares are (generally unfindable) loss leaders, and bear no relation to the amount of money you wind up paying Tiger.

Have you had a look at the rail fares, Sydney to Perth, recently??

As the man from Boeing said: "3000m of railway gets you 3000m, 3000m of runway gets you anywhere"

As a matter , aircraft fuel consumption per pax mile compares well with the fuel consumption of a pax train, bus or car ----- on a total cost basis, aircraft given an even shake produce very cheap passenger miles (or km if you insist).

Tootle pip!!

Icarus2001
19th Jul 2011, 15:03
As a matter , aircraft fuel consumption per pax mile compares well with the fuel consumption of a pax train, bus or car ----- on a total cost basis, aircraft given an even shake produce very cheap passenger miles (or km if you insist).

An interseting opinion. Can you cite some research to back that up?

Fris B. Fairing
19th Jul 2011, 22:16
http://www.adastron.com/aviation/vault/aipa-billboard.jpg

breakfastburrito
19th Jul 2011, 22:46
Fuel efficiency in transport (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_efficiency_in_transportation) [wikipedia]

peuce
20th Jul 2011, 00:25
Although I think the billboard idea is good ... any publicity is good publicity ... I think the message might be lost on the average punter.

"When you board a QANTAS flight, you expect a QANTAS pilot"

My first thought, and I'm in the Industry, was ... yeah, of course, what do you think you're going to get, a British Airways pilot?"

I think your subtle definition of a "Qantas Pilot" might be lost on most folk. I think they'd scratch their heads and the only way of clarifying it would be to do some research ... which most won't. Isn't an Indonesian, trained in Nigeria, employed by Qantas and based in Shanghai, still a Qantas Pilot?

Perhaps ... "you expect an Australian pilot" might have been better (although probably not PC enough)

Uncashed Pilot
20th Jul 2011, 01:07
God help us if an Expat Australian pilot gets to crew a Qantas flight.
How many American still work for Qantas , did they step aside when Ansett went broke to help Australian Pilots who were unemployed ,NO, where was AIPA then.
Funny how the MOU only works one direction , the QF pilots want the cream of the Qantas group jobs but will not return the favour they are out to conquer the industry because their start date (seniority) is higher than any other Australian Pilot .
If you think youll get public sympathy earning $300,000 a year then go for it, even earning $100,000 a year will not buy you any votes, in fact you make yourselves look stupid.

Animalclub
20th Jul 2011, 03:15
"When you board a QANTAS flight, you expect a QANTAS pilot"

I'd be prepared to put this bumper sticker on my car. Where can I get one? Perhaps the word "trained" wouldn't go astray... or are all QF GROUP pilots traines by QANTAS?

Shark Patrol
20th Jul 2011, 06:14
Good maiden Pprune post "Uncashed Pilot". Maybe we should refer to you as "Cashed up Manager" instead. Get back to the corporate coffee room!!!!!

noip
20th Jul 2011, 06:31
UP

I take it from that, your medication is not quite where it needs to be .....

N

pondoklabu
20th Jul 2011, 07:10
Hi everyone, I just recieved a email from a friend of mine at QANTAS, to have a look at their web site which is Qantas Pilots (http://www.Qantaspilots.com.au) .
The reason I am posting is because there is a petition section if anybody is interested.

Cheers Pond

rodchucker
20th Jul 2011, 08:21
Great site and clear message, so why isn't anyone interested??

Someone needs to get the message out there and show support.

The Rat needs to get a message.

Bypass ratio
20th Jul 2011, 09:50
"Qantas management wants to replace experienced Australian Qantas pilots with overseas alternatives. We need your help to stop it."

Does this statement mean that as an Australian pilot living & working overseas I could be considered an alternative?

I'm sorry, but I just can't support your cause based on personal reasons. Qantas didn't want me 10 years ago because I wasn't good enough. Now that I'm a 777 skipper, I don't want them......Qantas can go to hell. Looks as if the Australian public don't give a fu#k either...!
:D

nitpicker330
20th Jul 2011, 09:55
Nice one.

10 years ago you had your head up your a**
Now it's in the sand.

We may not be QF Pilots but if you don't think this fight doesn't flow on to other carriers based here or otherwise you are dumb.

We can only hope QF Pilots are successful, or else we will all ultimately suffer as well in the long run.

Tankengine
20th Jul 2011, 09:56
Who said psych testing doesn't work!:E

Bypass ratio
20th Jul 2011, 10:02
I'm sorry to say Nitpicker330 but you Qantas pilots have had your head up your arse for longer than I can remember. The writing has been on the wall for at least 10 years. Did my colleagues here in EK from QF know something you didn't?
Qantas is dead in the water. The sooner you work that out and move on the better.

Maybe your Psych department was pre-disposed to hiring numnuts like you.
i.e. People who are prepared to roll over and take it nicely without complaining.

I mean c'mon, industrial action through the public address system? You've got to be kidding. Oh, and your gonna turn up to work not in uniform? Your really going to make an impression on the educated minority in Australia. Good luck:ok:

brown_hornet
20th Jul 2011, 10:06
Bypass Ratio. Nice copy and paste job you do from the pprune forums to the comments section of the newspaper articles:ok:

Thanks for your support. FYI, there would be a lot of QF pilots who probably dislike Qantas as much as you at the moment, however you fail to realise that by supporting us you are actually not supporting Qantas management, you know, the guys that rejected you 10 years ago.....wouldn't you in particular like that!? The clear skies of Dubai must have clouded your judgement.

nitpicker330
20th Jul 2011, 10:13
Bypass, mate read my post again.

I am NOT A QF PILOT.

The consequences of the QF Pilots losing this battle will reach far and wide.

My company benchmarks it's Oz salary on ...........guess which Airline.........yep you guessed correctly my friend. Go to the front of the class.

And besides, I too didn't get into QF 30 years ago but i have a lot of friends that did and I'm concerned for their futures.

So put away any cheap jealousy you have and think about others for a change.

At least you'll sleep better at night.

seat1A
20th Jul 2011, 10:15
I'm sorry, but I just can't support your cause based on personal reasons. Qantas didn't want me 10 years ago because I wasn't good enough. Now that I'm a 777 skipper, I don't want them......Qantas can go to hell. Looks as if the Australian public don't give a fu#k either...!

You have to be kidding? Are you that bitter and angry that you didn't get a start at Qantas? EK obviously didn't have psych testing ten years ago when you started, this is clear from your constant rants and outbursts regarding either Qantas or Qantas Pilots. You are one very bitter individual and it worries me that you may actually be telling the truth when you say you are a Captain. How do you behave on the flight deck when things don't go your way?

Chill out man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bypass ratio
20th Jul 2011, 10:17
Brown Hornet, it was the likes of B.D, R.G, I.L, G.F and the rest of the QF pilot selection jokers that fuc$ed me and a whole lot of other people over. Look, I realise the plight of your situation, but why haven't you guys seen the writing on the wall? It's been so frustrating to watch this unfold as I and others have been forecasting it for years.

What I don't agree with is the slogan the AIPA are pushing.

Bypass ratio
20th Jul 2011, 10:20
Seat1A

Yes maybe I do need to take a chill pill. The whole QF thing strikes a personal chord with me. I do apologise for the outburst.

Slasher
20th Jul 2011, 10:24
Does this statement mean that as an Australian pilot living & working overseas I could be considered an alternative?

I would go for it, if just for the delicious irony of seeing ol' Dick
Smith's face (and that of the Silver Bodgie) when they hear that
a non sca...er..non-returnee ex-89er based in a very low taxing
country is now sitting in the LHS of a White Rat 777! http://serve.mysmiley.net/animated/anim_64.gif

Just joking though - but how wonderful the irony would taste!

Walter E Kurtz
20th Jul 2011, 10:29
When you board a Qantas flight you expect a Qantas pilot

That's a bit too cryptic for the dumb ass ossie you trying to sell too.

Better would be:

"When you board a Qantas flight you expect a white pilot with round eyes"

bugsquash1
20th Jul 2011, 10:40
I'm a fence sitter here as I agree with Bypass Ratio except I was with Qlink so was in the "group" and got no support from AIPA and now they want our sympathy.:mad:

I do feel sorry for the junior guys who have to put up with the stuffed shirts in the LHS of internationals (Domestic was usually more sympathetic).

Go VB at least they are sort of Aussie.

BTW Qf pulled out of Beijing and Beijing to Melbourne is going to be done by Jet* Thailand. :hmm:

Shark Patrol
20th Jul 2011, 10:59
For God's sake, some of you guys must struggle to carry around the size of the chips on your shoulders.

What does it take for you to realise that this is not about EK vs QF or AIPA vs QLink! This is about the future of well compensated aviation jobs in this country. Who cares whether you got passed over by QF in the past Bypass? I know plenty of other guys who did also. You are a 777 Captain? My congratulations and good on you. Hope you have an enjoyable career. The way that Joyce is running Qantas, you may never have achieved a command here, so maybe it worked out for the best for you anyway.

Bugsquasher - yes AIPA has screwed up in the past. Don't forget that AIPA is who the current COM is at the time. Mistakes were made, but with the current mindset of Qantas management, this is the final line in the sand. You and Bypass both have a stake in this fight too. If you think that Joyce will look after you Bugsquasher if the mainline pilots are taken out, then you're kidding yourself! Look at the ongoing efforts that are being taken to undercut and offshore Jetstar pilots. Qantas management bastardry is the way of the future for aviation jobs in Australia. Bypass, if Qantas mainline pilots get taken out and EK pilots become the new benchmark, how long do you think it will be before your management comes after you?

Walter Kurtz - your post doesn't even warrant a response and takes the prize for sheer idiocy so far. You are a disgrace!!!!

Bypass ratio
20th Jul 2011, 11:09
I agree Shark Patrol to some extent, and now that I've calmed down I can also see your point. This is the good thing about these forums sometimes as it makes you think more laterally. It's just very difficult to support the AIPA after being a QantasLink Pilot and also being knocked back by Qantas Mainline. You are right though, I am very lucky to have been knocked back by QF as I wouldn't be sitting where I am now. There is nothing really much I can do other than welcome QF pilots to EK with open arms. I know that your experience would be appreciated. As for Australia, well as much as I love my country and it is where my family and friends live, Julia Gillard and the uneducated majority unfortunately rule supreme.

PPRuNeUser0198
20th Jul 2011, 11:22
I find it embarrassing. And Joe Public could not care any less who is driving the bus. They want to get from A - B at the lowest price.

bugsquash1
20th Jul 2011, 11:44
Probably a small chip.

BTW apparently I passed according to a friend on the inside, I just worked for the wrong company.
I was unsuitable for Jet* so their requirements must be higher :E
So maybe the better pilots are flying the aircraft.

I do agree strongly that only Aussies should fly Aussie aircraft but as for QF or Jet* I don't care what logo is on the tail only that if it runs in and out of Aus should be Aussie crews.

Good on AIPA for trying to fix things, but the horse has bolted and they ignored the writing on the wall 10 years ago:ugh:

As for thinking your alone have a look at other forums around the world if you think other airline managements are any better.

PS if you are suggesting that QF pilots are the benchmark think again, that is a very arrogant remark.

Shark Patrol
20th Jul 2011, 11:54
Bugsquasher,

I was talking about being the "benchmark", as far as pay and conditions go - I would NEVER support the "Qantas pilots are better than everybody else" argument!

Bypass - all the best to you. I would say that indeed many of my present colleagues will be headed your way in the near future - I am already personally aware of a few. I'm glad that they will be welcomed at their "new home".

Toruk Macto
20th Jul 2011, 11:55
Been recieving emails from some Qantas pilots this week , it seems to be a mass send out that explains why Qantas pilots are taking action and asking for support. Not %100 sure who originated it but its come from some blokes I have not spoken too for awhile. I understand the feeling of having an unknown future , its frustrating to work hard and see a good airline not be given a fare go . As an ex Qlink driver I had the same feeling as the company I worked for was wound up and I'm sure your not in that posistion.
If it gets really nasty and you get stuck in my part of the world then there is always a bed in the spare room. Its more help than you guys gave us.

nitpicker330
20th Jul 2011, 22:52
PS if you are suggesting that QF pilots are the benchmark think again, that is a very arrogant remark.
I guess that remark is aimed at me.

Well i'm sorry but CX management use a "basket" of "Legacy Airlines" to match and compare our salaries to. For us OZ based guys and girls it is very much QF we are compared to. For the HKG based guys we get compared to BA, AA, QF, etc etc.
CX would like us to be paid similar to SQ, and if QF get shafted in OZ guess which direction my next salary talks will go?

mmmm

teresa green
21st Jul 2011, 04:03
Nitpicker, if you are flying for CX it is a nice airline, good cabin crew, pleasant food, clean aircraft, on time, and in Y class, seats like rocks. Seriously mate, go sit on one whilst they are still dressing the A/C. I have just spent 9 hrs From HKG to SYD and they are :mad: dreadful. It was not just me standing up the back with a sore derriere, it was quite a few of us. I mentioned it to the Cabin Manager, and she agreed, but said nothing had been done. Perhaps a note to your boss, or add to the weight and issue cushions. Now whilst I might sound like a whinger, there was the same complaint from a pax in the travel section of the Sunday Herald. Might just cost you pax.:{

nitpicker330
21st Jul 2011, 04:43
Teresa, all of us "front line" staff 100% agree with you mate.
Just like QF our managers never listen to us, if they did then they wouldn't have spent millions of dollars on crap seats. We offered our opinions but were rejected as dumb Pilots that wouldn't know. So different Airline to QF but same problems!!

I do believe a re work of the Y class seats is in the works following negative feedback.

Just think of how much money CX/QF could had saved if they had bothered to seek the opinion of frequent travellers they already employed!!

21st Jul 2011, 05:21
T-vasis, I'm not sure why you continue to hang around professional pilot rumour forums.
Did you secretly want to be one?
Go back to counting beans or whatever your boring role is...

Walter E Kurtz
21st Jul 2011, 07:11
I hear Coles & Safeway have ordered extra Vaseline for AUG in all eastern suburb stores nationwide.

I think your right, something's up?

KABOY
21st Jul 2011, 09:48
First of all AIPA wanted solidarity with all QF group pilots,now they are demanding that they should be flying the aircraft. What about the passengers who pay for services operated by QF link and Cobham, are they receiving a lower standard?

The campaign comes across as a little elitist sorry to say, maybe they need to acknowledge that they would be in the job if the whole operation wasn't so costly. This will affect everyone(TWU,ALAEA,AIPA) it just convenient that you guys have decided to escalate the conflict, the result is now AIPA have been singled out.

The company is transforming, PIA unfortunately will accelerate the change.

Isn't there a reference in the company manuals that is explicit on what your PA's can and cannot contain?

27/09
21st Jul 2011, 11:01
I'm not sure T-Vasis is all that wrong by saying Joe Public could not care any less who is driving the bus. They want to get from A - B at the lowest price.

Also I don't think using the PA announcement to get across an industrial relations message is altogether very smart. There's the very real risk in my mind of a backlash from the company and pax. As a pax I would see it as poor form for the bosses equipment and space being used to make a public statement to an audience that has paid to be in that space for reasons other than to listen to that statement. As a pax I would consider the use of the airlines facilities in a situation like this to be cheeky and arrogant thus reducing my sympathy level considerably. A bit akin to using the bosses branded envelopes to post out your CV to prospective employers. Not a good look IMO.

The campaign needs to be, "Aussie jobs kept in Aussie carried by Aussies", making the point that this is only one professional area where this sort of thing is happening or about to happen. Highlight the rumoured FIFO foreign miners and the effect this will have on the average Aussie blokes standard of living.

peuce
22nd Jul 2011, 00:54

On first pass, it is a very arrogant position to take, however, if I was a Qantas Marketing person, I would definitely be taking this position. You have to be able to position your Airline differently than (above) other Airlines. There are a few recent piloting examples around that support the proposition as well. It mightn't go down too well with colleagues in other Airlines, but that's business.

The trouble is, Qantas will have to get its pilots on side before being able to capitalise on such a campaign.

There we are ... Step 1 in re-positioning Qantas as the premium Airline of choice.

teresa green
23rd Jul 2011, 05:06
Not good that Clifford is trying link you blokes as well as the engineers to industrial unrest due to inept govt. policy. (The Australian 23/7) The last thing you need is association with Gillard and Swan, that is a death knoll, If the public link you up with them. The only way around that is the safety issue, and only the safety issue, the big ticket item the public can embrace.

assasin8
25th Jul 2011, 07:15
"Joe Public could not care any less who is driving the bus. They want to get from A - B at the lowest price." Ah yes, another gem of knowledge from T-Vasis!:rolleyes:

Well TV, if that were the case, people would only be flying with Tiger and Jetstar! I believe my Qantas flight is still going ahead, later this week...

Sorry to spoil that little fantasy of yours... Now, off you go and reboot MS flightsim...:p