PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Large 'New Folder' in Windows XP

Aire de Drome
17th Jul 2011, 15:07
After editing video on Sony Vegas and rendering it on Architect, when I try to 'Burn DVD' I often get the message 'There is insufficient space in the folder', although the folder is new, and empty. Can anyone help me with creating a large folder. There is lots of free capacity on the hard drive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The operating system is Windows XP. Thanks in advance. A d D.

A A Gruntpuddock
17th Jul 2011, 20:42
If you have two hard disks it might be trying to use a temporary folder on the smaller disk.

Folders as such don't have a size limit but some programs create lots of temporary folders which can soon take up a lot of disk space (and don't always remove them when finished, especially if a problem occurs).

Have you tried running the free program CCleaner? Got rid of an amazing pile of temporary guff on my drive from places I never even knew existed. (CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download (http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER))

Another possible (but unlikely) reason for lack of space is programs reserving memory for their use and not releasing it. Windows gets all in a bother about it at times and loses the place. When doing something using a lot of space or memory I usually reboot to clear the memory and run the space-hogging program on its own.

Spurlash2
17th Jul 2011, 22:41
Not familiar with Sony Vegas or Architect, but, you say you are burning to DVD. Are you? or does the programme think you are, in which case your rendered video is probably a bit bigger than the limit of 4.7 GB.

Is there a default folder that Architect uses? If so, where is it?

Are you saving as HD or AVI - there is a difference in file size.

How big is your file?

Also, do you have SP3 installed?

Aire de Drome
18th Jul 2011, 11:33
Thank you for your swift replies, I'll go through the suggestions step by step, then let you know the results. A d D

spannersatcx
18th Jul 2011, 16:58
is your hard drive formatted for Fat32 of NTFS, Fat32 has a 4gb file size limit.

Spurlash2
18th Jul 2011, 18:04
Nice one, spannersatcx. Solved, methinks.

...and who on earth would be using Fat32 these days;)

Mac the Knife
19th Jul 2011, 10:49
"...and who on earth would be using Fat32 these days?"

It's still useful because it is the one HD format that just about any OS can read/write without added drivers.

Mac

:ok:

Spurlash2
19th Jul 2011, 22:55
Mac,

<cough *it was a joke* cough>