View Full Version : Fijian government and QF, staff could loose 60% pay

Ultralights
17th Jul 2011, 11:32
More industrial action threats hit Qantas
Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
Print
Email

QANTAS flights to and from Fiji could be disrupted, with the Transport Workers Union threatening industrial action.

Qantas's links to Fiji's military regime have produced a third potential area of industrial disruption for the airline, with long-haul pilots and engineers already engaged in separate disputes.

Transport Workers Union (TWU)secretary Tony Sheldon said today that there had been a "continuing deterioration" of human and workers rights in Fiji.

"Over recent months we have seen the military junta reduce freedom of speech, the freedom of assembly and now they want to smash the basic human right of getting a fair wage for employees and their family," Mr Sheldon said in a statement.

The comments come after a new draft decree was released by the Fijian government which could see workers in the airline industry lose up to 60 per cent of their wages, the Fiji Trades Union Congress said.

RELATED COVERAGE
TWU strike threat over Qantas contracts The Australian, 10 days ago
Qantas to sue TWU The Australian, 13 May 2011
Qantas lashes union 'hypocrisy' The Australian, 7 Apr 2011
Major evacuation at Melbourne airport Adelaide Now, 7 Apr 2011
Qantas braces for union turbulence Adelaide Now, 6 Apr 2011

Mr Shelton said Qantas had a responsibility to its Fijian workers who work for Air Pacific, which is controlled by the airline, and its subsidiary Jetstar.

"Qantas and the Fijian government have a close relationship through their joint ownership of Fijian national carrier, Air Pacific, as well as through other business interests," Mr Sheldon said.

"It is also up to the Qantas board to denounce this decree, and protect its employees across the supply chain."

The TWU said they were concerned over the safety of three men involved in Fiji's union movement who are returning to the country in the coming week.

A TWU spokesman said if any harm came to the three men the union would take industrial action against Qantas.

The news comes after the executive committee of the Australian and International Pilots Association (AIPA) met over the weekend to finalise industrial action plans that members will take against Qantas.

There are eight potential options on the table, ranging from five-minute to two-day work stoppages as part of an ongoing wages and conditions dispute.

Members from the Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association are also planning minor industrial action tomorrow, as part of ongoing pay disputes with the airline.
More industrial action threats hit Qantas | thetelegraph.com.au (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/business/breaking-news/more-industrial-action-threats-hit-qantas/story-e6freuyr-1226096312015)

TBM-Legend
17th Jul 2011, 11:59
TWU thugs don't really care about the thousands of Fijian workers earning a living from tourism. This is industrial terrorism promoted by J-Liar and her gang.

I note that for sometime QF has been trying to sell their shares in Air Pacific....

ACT Crusader
18th Jul 2011, 02:07
Below is the TWU Media Release from yesterday.

TWU to vote on Fijian work bans - July 17, 2011
Release date: 17/07/2011

Qantas employees will consider industrial action, including work bans on Fijian-bound aircraft, after the military dictatorship specifically targeted airline workers in the draft Vital National Industries Decree, smashing workplace rights across the sector.

The Transport Workers Union said members would halt or disrupt travel to and from Fijian routes, operated by Qantas-controlled Air Pacific and Qantas subsidiary Jetstar, unless government- sanctioned violence and harassment (including physical bashings and threats) towards Fijian trade unionists immediately ceases.

“Over recent months, we have seen the military junta reduce freedom of speech, the freedom of assembly, and now they want to smash the basic-human right of getting a fair wage for employees and their families,” Mr Sheldon said.

“The new decree will see wages drop significantly across the airline and sugar industry sector, as well as provide political strength to the regime’s friends through the destruction of workplace representation.

“Qantas and the Fijian government have a close relationship through their joint ownership of Fijian national carrier, Pacific Air, as well as through other business interests. It is also up to the Qantas board to denounce this decree, and protect its employees across the supply chain,” Mr Sheldon said.

The TWU said real wages and conditions would be driven down for all workers across the aviation industry, which has already seen Fijian pilots and engineers leave the country for better- paid work.

“A Fijian baggage handler working for Qantas currently makes between about FJD$290 a week up to FJD$380 a week with overtime and penalties, based on a 50 to 55 hour week, Mr Sheldon said.

“The new regulation would see penalties gone, hard-fought for protections gone and that pay packet drop to about FJD$170 a week – that is less than AU$90.”
“Fijian workers have only just received a 4 per cent pay-rise this year – their first since the Coup in 2006. This is despite Qantas’ record profits over that period, and a Fijian inflation rate of about 6 per cent per annum. The time is here for fulfilling Qantas’ obligations, not exploiting a system designed to attack the rights of families and individuals,” Mr Sheldon said.

Fiji Trade Unions Council national secretary, Felix Anthony, Fiji Public Service Association general secretary, Rajashwar Singh, National Union of Hotel, Catering & Tourism Industry Employees general secretary, Dan Urai, are returning to Fiji over the coming week.

Mr Sheldon said that he feared for the safety of all three after state-sanctioned violence against individuals had been escalated over recent times.
“Australian Foreign Minister, Kevin Rudd, needs to immediately communicate his grave concerns to the Fijian military administration and insist on the withdrawal of all recent Decrees that threaten human rights in this strategic neighbor,” Mr Sheldon said.

“If these Decrees are not withdrawn and normal democratic rights restored, the Federal Government should impose further trade and financial sanctions against the Fijian administration. This may be the only language the perpetrators of violence within the Fijian administration understand. It's now time to act,” Mr Sheldon said.
This weekend, Felix Anthony told media:

“With the imposition of decrees that have substantially weakened unions in the public sector and government owned entities and the abrogation of the constitution. We have then seen the Decree Number 21 which was imposed just a few weeks ago where workers in the public sector have been totally disenfranchised of any rights at all, including the most fundamental rights.”

The ACTU are on board as well. There was a public forum of sorts in Belmore last week.

TBM-Legend
18th Jul 2011, 02:14
It is racist for Australians to demand that people in other sovereign countries follow our "model".

How do we react if an overseas authority tells us what to do and how to dot it.

Fix up your own back yard...

Cactusjack
18th Jul 2011, 11:57
We are talking about working on Fijian time here, about 3 hours per day !!
And no, I am not being racist, I have family who are Fijian and live there, and they wouldn't be caught dead working more than 6 hours per day, I am actually somewhat jealous, good on them.
As for QF screwing staff over there, welcome to QF 2011, if you have an as#hole then pucker up cos Management are coming for you, no employee's sphincter is safe....

ACT Crusader
18th Jul 2011, 14:42
Nice one Benjam :O

I think the biggest concern is Fiji is a signatory to ILO conventions and this latest Employment Relations Decree appears to contain contraventions of some conventions.

40Deg STH
18th Jul 2011, 21:58
TBM and crowd, are you airline pilots?
I first went to Fiji in 1974 and love the country. I last flew the 737 for FJ. DO NOT make us Aussies who love Fiji and proud to be ex-FJ and have many friends, look bad.
"clean up your back yard" I hope your perfect.......lol I doubt it.
I have my views on QF and I support the pilots. That should not change the Fijians, they are amazing ppl.
Don't embarass me you fellow Aussies.

Bula

The Guru
19th Jul 2011, 01:45
Mr Shelton said Qantas had a responsibility to its Fijian workers who work for Air Pacific, which is controlled by the airline, and its subsidiary Jetstar.

Did I miss something? Is there an inference here that Jetstar has some control over Air Pacific?

Because given the BB management style, there is every possibility that he probably wrote the draft decree to slash wages and then presented it to the Fijian junta!!:confused:

ACT Crusader
21st Jul 2011, 06:34
Qantas stands firm on Fiji dispute

Qantas will to continue to fly to destinations that the Australian government has no issue with as the row over the possible disruption to Fiji flights escalated.

Air Pacific yesterday succeeded in securing an injunction against the Australian Transport Workers Union which was pursuing possible industrial action in support of colleagues in Fiji.

The TWU claimed the Fijian Government wants to “smash the basic human right of getting a fair wage for employees and their families”.
Asked about the situation at the Australia Pacific Aviation Outlook Summit in Sydney, Joyce said: “We continue to operate to markets around the world by licence from the Australian Government and if the Australian Government doesn’t have any issues with that market and the issues with operation of Jetstar into that market then we will continue to operate there.”

He added that Jetstar, which operators to the Pacific island, employs very few staff in Fiji while Qantas has no management control and plays no role in the day to day operations of Fiji flag carrier, Air Pacific, in which it holds a 46% stake.

He added that it was “interesting” that no matter what issues there are around the world “Qantas seems to get the blame”.

Air Pacific said yesterday it secured an injunction to prevent any industrial action, saying statements made by the TWU “not only threatened harm to Air Pacific but the Fijian economy and the people of Fiji of which 45,000 are employed in the tourism and hospitality industry”.

Lawyers acting for the carrier have also written to the New Zealand Council of Trade Unions, which backed the TWU call, warning that any action would be illegal.

Qantas stands firm on Fiji dispute | Travel Weekly (http://www.travelweekly.com.au/news/qantas-stands-firm-on-fiji-dispute)

For those interested the FWA Order link is below

PR512294 (http://www.fwa.gov.au/awardsandorders/html/pr512294.htm)

inandout
21st Jul 2011, 08:01
What crap, what about all the other places QF go to,
South Africa
Indonesia
Thailand
Phillippines
China
Argentina
Human rights in all these are not what one would consider good.

Wunwing
21st Jul 2011, 08:23
inandout,.The difference here is that Qantas OWNS a substantial stake in Air Pacific.I am unaware that Qantas owns stakes in anything in the countries that you mention.

TBM.Since when is it permissable to refer to our Prime Minister in this manner?
You have the manners of a cheap radio "shockjock". This is a forum for professional pilots and the ones that I mix with don't speak that way.

Wunwing

hoggsnortrupert
21st Jul 2011, 09:47
I invite Tony Sheldon to Fiji:

What a absolute & utter ******.

It amazes me the amount of BS, and political/economic point scoring that currently goes on at the expense of the Fijians, "Perplexedly"( FOR THEIR OWN GOOD).

What a crook of Kangaroo ****"e".

If the Govts of Aus & Nz had any sense they would support the change:

Go and ask a Fijian, by that I mean either race, and ask what they want, instead of being told what to do from so called democratic countries that have stood by under the vale of democracy for years and ignored the corruption.

For the first time in this countries history, for right or for wrong, people are being held accountable in many government sectors, by a either perform or get out policy!

Aus & Nz have alot to answer "in my opinion".:ok:

Chr's
H/Snort.:ok:

ACT Crusader
20th Oct 2011, 03:40
Bump.

Moderators - perhaps this could be merged with the other thread.

spelling_nazi
20th Oct 2011, 12:14
Why can't anyone spell "lose" anymore?

4Greens
20th Oct 2011, 20:04
How does Shalend Scott pilot and Union rep go in all this agro?