PDA

View Full Version : Part time trainees share your stories

Diesel Pilot
16th Jul 2011, 10:55
G'day all

I've been reading a lot here on pprune about people's stories of how they trained and where they are now. As a newbie in the very early stages of flight training I find it interesting to learn about how people have got themselves to where they are in their aviation career.

My goal is to become a commercial pilot and fly for an airline (like so many others I guess!) At 27 this is a career change for me as I already work as a diesel fitter.

I'm on the 150 hour course and can only manage to set aside about $500 per week for my training. Due to work committments I only fly on the weekend, typically between 1 and 2 hours at this stage ($245 an hour dual here in Perth) although this will likely change to 2+ hours every 2 weeks as my training progresses to PPL and CPL. Currently i've logged about 20 hours in a 152 and am probably about 10 hours away from getting my GFPT. I put myself about 2-3 years away from my CPL and either MECIR or instructor's rating depedning on the job market at the time.

As much as I would love to train full time it will likely never be a possibility, so I am stuck with part time training. The positive I take from it is that although it will take me longer to reach my CPL, I find due to the extra study time I retain a lot of information I doubt I could with a faster pace of learning. That plus I will be debt free once I finish my training and endorsments.

So anyone else training part time or who has done it this way I'd love to hear your stories, how long it took you etc.