PDA

View Full Version : LHR parking

GROUNDHOG
15th Jul 2011, 18:56
Flying from LHR (T5) in October and have to get there from far South West so planning to drive up. Will need a hotel at the start and end of the trip. I have looked at the hotel + parking deals but we will be away for a month so I am nervous about leaving my pride and joy in a car park for that amount of time. Any recommendations please for security and peace of mind?

Thanks
GH

Chuchinchow
15th Jul 2011, 19:54
"Pride and joy" is no way to refer to Mrs Groundhog.

Had you considered leaving your car safely at home and coming up to Heathrow by public transport? Alternatively, take the money you would have spent on airport parking and hire a taxi to drive you up and to collect you on your return.

You can also take a secret pride in seeing a man/woman standing outside arrivals bearing a sign saying "Mr/Mrs Groundhog".

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip!

Hotel Tango
15th Jul 2011, 20:48
Another alternative is National Express from Newquay and Plymouth (and other locations I think) to LHR. Fares range from 39 to 59 quid return p/p.

PAXboy
15th Jul 2011, 21:17
Good ideas there. Unless you pay serious amounts of money, your vehicle will still be parked outside getting a good covering of dust and LHR grime. If you are going away for a month, it's probable that you are going very long haul (Antipodes) and will be zonked when you get back. Spoiling the trip to save a bit of money would not be the idea (I guess). A preplanned taxi drop/collect to LHR or a suitable hotel with a courtesy van to the terminal building works well.

Phileas Fogg
15th Jul 2011, 22:08
For a month I'd seriously consider 2 x one way hire cars, check out prices on such a site as 'Holiday Auto's'.

I've done this previously, drop off/pick-up hire car, use the hire car instead of a £3 (ish) per person hotel (not so) courtesy bus, no parking fees, no wear and tear on own car, no bird cr@p on own car, deal done :)

1DC
16th Jul 2011, 15:32
I would imagine for the time that you are away car hire would be very cost effective, if you check prices with the major hirer's who have depot's at LHR you can get some pretty good deals.

GROUNDHOG
16th Jul 2011, 15:45
Thanks all I have looked at most of the options, flying to LGW with Flybe then on the bus is a good one, but, will probably do two one way car hires and a nights hotac at LHR on the way back.

How times have improved since 1970 when I could have jumped on Westward Airways Islander and gone straight to LHR from NQY, in fact I did many times as I was Station Manager for them.

I do promise to take Mrs Groundhog ( Groundsow as I prefer to call her) with me consequently we will have enough shoes, handbags, skirts, blouses etc to fill a small freighter. Lugging three big cases at 23kgs each is not that appealing hence the desire to keep it simple. I will of course be allocated the rucksack.;)

SloppyJoe
16th Jul 2011, 15:48
Sent you a pm,

will be cheaper than car hire and excellent service.

vctenderness
17th Jul 2011, 12:13
I once heard the wonderful travel correspondent Simon Calder suggest to a man asking best way to get into New York City from Newark to try hiring a BIKE!!!

I had this wonderful image of suited business man with wheelie bag and laptop case wobbling down the freeway with Hummers, Yellow Cabs, Stretch Limos and Greyhound buses hooting and swerving past.

Maybe you could try that!!!

elgnin
18th Jul 2011, 07:08
Goundhog. You appear to be in Cornwall somewhere - near the main line to London? You might try, given that you do not travel until October and advanced prices are very good, the train in to Paddington - then cross the platform and on to the Heathrow express. Currently (although cant book beyond 9th Oct online) showing £89 return Redruth (for example) to Paddington, the Hex is £32 each (fiver more if bought on board) - that £242 if there are 2 of you. Less stress, no driving and delivered directly to T5. There is still a sleeper service overnight in to Paddington so depending on your timings, you might not need that hotel.
Clearly the maths will tell you if the cost of fuel and car parking prove cheaper but at least you will not have a 4-5 hour drive before you fly and more importantly, when you get get back.

GROUNDHOG
18th Jul 2011, 08:14
Thanks all in the end I elected for 2 x one way car hires from Falmouth which for a Vauxhall Insignia was only £120 through Carhire 3000 - cheaper than parking. Will do one night in the Sofitel on the way back ( walk from T5) and maybe if I am feeling lazy a Hotel somewhere off the A303 on the way up.

Whole deal is easiest and cheapest way I could find!

Chuchinchow
18th Jul 2011, 09:36
the Hex is £32 each (fiver more if bought on board)

Do you realise that - mile for mile - that journey is more expensive than a flight on Concorde?

Dave Gittins
18th Jul 2011, 13:25
Am off to the USA for 2 weeks in Sept and have to get to LHR. After taxis at about £65 e/w from Dorking last time have decided to take car and park it.

Prices for 15 days seem to start at about £70 and some even offer to collect car from (and return it to) T5 drop-off at that price.

Outbound and return flights both have us at LHR around 14.00 so no silly times of day.

Any comments on booking via BAA vs. (say) HeathrowmeetandGreet. Are these guys safe to leave car with ? (saw Watchdog a few weeks ago are things any better ?).

DGG

cavortingcheetah
18th Jul 2011, 13:38
The hire car routine is so easy. Just make sure you get a receipt for that last fill before the airport and keep it until the cc payment has gone through. Having a spot of bother with Hertz in Germany now about this and had the same problem with Avis in Johannesburg a few months ago.

GROUNDHOG
18th Jul 2011, 13:42
Take a look at SloppyJoe's post that might be your answer, he has what appears a good contact where your car will be perfectly safe.

Perhaps if he'she reads this you can get the contact if not suggest you pm SJ!