PDA

View Full Version : Narcolepsy, Exhaustion or just plain knackered?

Henry09
15th Jul 2011, 06:34
I have always been a fit individual, both mentally and physically. However in the last 12 months and in particular the last 3, I just feel absolutely knackered during the day. If there was no pressure from work, I could easily sleep all day without waking at the moment. During the day I go through phases of feeling really exhausted and sleepy and having a nap is easy.

I don't take any form of medication, I am 50 and have never felt like this in my life. I know we all get old but this is taking the mick! Has anyone else experienced this feeling of total exhaustion? Any ideas how to get back to being my normal alert get up and go self? Just off for a snooze now!

cliste
15th Jul 2011, 12:47
Just a thought have you received an insect bite in the last while and if so was it circular like a bulls eye target, if so have your bloods checked.

Hope you return to normal soon !

Henry09
15th Jul 2011, 13:39
Cliste

Entirely possible. I am bitten that much in this part of the world that I rarely even bother anymore. The blood check seems a good way forward. Thanks

DX Wombat
15th Jul 2011, 22:10
It may be due to one or more of many possible causes, some simple some more complicated, so forget any other advice and get to your Doctor as soon as possible.

Robot1
16th Jul 2011, 01:50
Hi

I'm with Wombat on this one..... Assuming narcolepsy from extreme fatigue is like assumimg brain tumor from headache... Go to your GP... Extreme fatigue can have very simple solutions

Good Fortune

Robot

1Wingnut
16th Jul 2011, 04:59
Another possible cause to consider is sleep apnea. It can prevent your sleep from giving you a proper rest. Do you snore?

gingernut
17th Jul 2011, 21:33
Tiredness is usually caused through one of two reasons,

1-"life tiredness" caused through the strains and stresses of everyday living.
2-a medical reason-anything from depression to diabetes.

A skilled GP should be able to help sift through the two.

And if you look more tired than him, you are in trouble:)

aviate1138
18th Jul 2011, 04:51
Check out Atrial Fibrillation and Hypothyroid conditions.

Been Accounting
18th Jul 2011, 06:07
Are you eating top much sugar?

This could be reactive hypoglycemia

Again a blood check on insulin levels would be useful.

gingernut
18th Jul 2011, 19:22
It could be anything, diagnosis by internet is often well intentioned, but can be a dangerous thing.:)

Go and see your GP.

SassyPilotsWife
19th Jul 2011, 08:12
It's been 3 days, Henry hasn't posted back. Think he's still :zzz: ?

Hopefully he clicked on the X in the upper right corner and went to his GP ;)

lofo101
31st Jul 2011, 08:25
As per all the advice: go to your GP pronto.
Your symptoms aren't narcolepsy though, sound a bit more like CFS if anything.