PDA

View Full Version : Advice to get into off shore - 2000 hours

BennyG
14th Jul 2011, 15:01
Hi Guys,

I know this gets asked a bit but mostly by fresh CPL's. I have 2000 hours of mixed flying with 300 hours turbine. I am currently not in the industry but would like to try and get on as a coey working offshore.

I'm going to complete my IREX and a few ATPL's over the next couple of months. Does anyone have any advice on whether there are any companies that I may have better luck with, either in Oz or overseas?

Also what is the going rate for f/o's and what sort of rosters? Any help or leads or people to contact would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Ben

LowTime
14th Jul 2011, 22:05
Hey Benny,

You will need your IREX done before anyone in Oz will look at you and then in my opinion get all your ATPL's done. I believe at CHC Oz will give you only 12 months do do them if you join them (Company requirement as far as I'm aware)

Give me a ring mate I've lost your number but the Phillip Island lads still have mine and will be able to give pass it on.

Cheers N Beers

LT

Heliringer
15th Jul 2011, 01:15
I have not seen any offshore (non experienced co pilot) Jobs advertised for about two years. I do hope this changes in the future, however I heard a disturbing rumour that Bristow prefer and have taken foreign Bristow academy trained low timers and sponsored them to come and work here. Which if true is appalling due to the fact we have heaps of well qualified Australian pilots here who would love to work for Bristow. Can anyone confirm this rumour?

pohm1
15th Jul 2011, 02:36
Not entirely correct. Bristow Australia recent took on 2 pilots that had been selected in Australia some time ago (2 years?), for partial sponsorship of their commercial license, sent to the Bristow Academy in the US for training, where they were subsequently employed as instructors. Now that they have some hours, they are back in Australia and about to fly the line. I think the scheme is called 'SureTrack.'

My understanding of companies sponsoring foreign pilots is that it is only permissable when there is a shortage of qualified Australian candidates. I guess the question then is what constitutes "qualified."

P1

gulliBell
15th Jul 2011, 23:09
...I guess the question then is what constitutes "qualified."

P1

There are quite a few qualified offshore pilots either living and available to work in Australia, or working overseas and would like to return to Australia to work. The question here isn't one of "qualification", but rather "suitability". If you've had a blue with a previous employer throughout your career, no matter how well qualified you are, doesn't shine very well on the "suitability" aspect. Which is why, despite qualified locals being available, they have been overlooked in preference to imported labor.