PDA

View Full Version : JAA ATPL Distance Learning Course

sahni
14th Jul 2011, 02:21
Hi there!

Am wondering if there is an option to enroll in a JAA ATPL ground course which is by distance learning only i.e. no classroom time required. Since I live in New Zealand the exams should be possible to sit in the country, maybe in Australia as this is not too far (expensive) to travel to.

Currently I hold a NZCAA CPL/MEIR with ATPL theory credits which is unfortunately not recognized as a 'Frozen ATPL' within JAA legislation.

Any advise welcome :-)

Cheers.

paco
14th Jul 2011, 06:12
Currently, at least until EASA finally take over, at least 10% of the study time must be done in the classroom. There is a school in Switzerland that advertises no classroom time, but my inspector tells me it is not JAA compliant - you might want to check that out if you are looking that way.

For students such as yourself, we are able to use video conferencing, but being actually in the classroom is best if you can manage it. You may well have to travel to the UK to get the JAA medical anyway.

sahni
14th Jul 2011, 10:21
Thanks Phil for your reply! Could you please provide some more details about the takeover of EASA? Wasn't aware that there is some sort of change in the pipeline regarding JAA ATPL.

paco
14th Jul 2011, 14:44
JAA ceased trading a couple of years ago and EASA is due to take over fully on 1st April 2012. They are understaffed and underfunded, so who knows what will happen.Everyone is in limbo until then, so it is likely that JAA procedures will be in force until it is all sorted out. Currently some new questions and syllabuses have been implemented, but that's about all. Whoever you sign on with, make sure you have the new syllabus unless you plan to finish by next March.

sahni
15th Jul 2011, 00:10
Have found a thread related to JAA>EASA transition (http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/453820-jaa-easa.html). Thanks for making me aware of this fact :-)

But I am still keen to see if there are other options out there..

Cheers!

zkjaws
15th Jul 2011, 08:48
Have a look at my reply on the thread "Can't find work might convert ICAO to JAR licence".

Check out the UK CAA site for the list of FTO's. You may find one in Oz or the USA that you may be able to get too.
Most provide a distance learning option.

Talk to the UK CAA and get a written undertaking of what you plan.

What about CTC in Hamilton? They maybe able to help you as well.

sahni
17th Jul 2011, 07:49
Thanks zkjaws! Had read the thread you mentioned. Also contacted CTC, but they don't do license conversion stuff.

mcdonnst
8th Sep 2011, 01:06
You can do JAA in Perth.

Western Australian Aviation College (WAAC) (http://waaviationcollege.com.au/)

sahni
12th Sep 2011, 10:24
The course offered by WAAC looks what am looking for. However I have sent two enquiries and haven't heard anything from them.