PDA

View Full Version : "reply" with "quote"

airtren
13th Jul 2011, 18:24
I have this problem with both Mozilla/Firefox 5.0 and MS Internet Explorer v.8.

When I click "reply", I don't get the option to include quotations of the message I am replying to.

The FAQ documents a "quick/reply", and a "multiple message reply" function, with respective icons/buttons.

None of those seem to be available, when I try to reply to a post.

I have found a work around, by "copy" and "paste" from the original message, and include it in {quote}{/quote} - I've changed [] with {} on purpose - but it would be great, if I could include the entire message I am replying to, by the click of one button, as the FAQ seems to indicate it is possible.

Help is appreciated.

BOAC
13th Jul 2011, 20:45
airtren - the FAQ are a bit 'gash' to say the least, and are taken from the Vbulletin board help files. The options you refer to have not been enabled on this board for some years, but the FAQ has not been kept up to date..

Somewhere eons ago when I was modding here I posted a guide to posting etc - maybe someone could explain 'quoting' to you'. There is a little yellow :ugh::ugh::ugh: above this posting box that will help you.

I see that little image copy failed! It is the 3rd from the right on my screen.

11Fan
13th Jul 2011, 21:22
airtren,

When I click "reply", I don't get the option to include quotations of the message I am replying to.

I'm going to seperate all of the formatting characters in red below, but close them up and try it.

[ QUOTE ] then in here cut and paste your quote [ / QUOTE ]

airtren
13th Jul 2011, 23:12
Thanks for the attempts to help:

BOAC: I can't see/find/access the box you referred to.
11FAN: your method is what I used as a work around, so far. It is laborious, when compared with other Fora tools/software, which provide a one click of a button reply with quote of full message.

11Fan
13th Jul 2011, 23:14
Indeed. Be that as it may.

On an off chance, have you tried hitting Post Reply on the bottom left of the thread? You may see the boxes then, although, I tried both and see them in each method. You'll still have to use the quote function as described previously, but it is not too terribly labor intensive. I am using Goggle Chrome, for what it's worth.

Cheers,
11Fan

Whirlygig
13th Jul 2011, 23:16
I suspect that facility may have been removed deliberately to discourage posters from unnecessarily quoting the entire text of the post immediately above.

Cheers

Whirls

ThreadBaron
14th Jul 2011, 05:50
I suspect that facility may have been removed deliberately to discourage posters from unnecessarily quoting the entire text of the post immediately above.

Cheers

Whirls

Easily worked around though! :p

green granite
14th Jul 2011, 07:04
airtren go to 'user CP (very top left)>edit options> then scroll down to the bottom and change from basic editor to standard editor in the drop down menu, save and all will be revealed.

Lord Spandex Masher
14th Jul 2011, 09:32
Thanks for the attempts to help:

BOAC: I can't see/find/access the box you referred to.
11FAN: your method is what I used as a work around, so far. It is laborious, when compared with other Fora tools/software, which provide a one click of a button reply with quote of full message.

You mean doing this?

Hit the reply button in the post you want to quote.
Delete the "1" from the address bar at the top.
Hit Enter.

BOAC
14th Jul 2011, 10:34
'Tis far better to use the 'selective' proper quote system as I and GG have indicated - then you do not just quote the whole shebang.

Pontius Navigator
14th Jul 2011, 12:18
'Tis far better to use the 'selective' proper quote system as I and GG have indicated.

To a point Sir, but by using the noquote=1 you retain the details of who made the original quote.

To leave the whole shebang is however both lazy and bad mannered.

:)

BOAC
14th Jul 2011, 12:46
PN you do the same by putting '=Pontious Navigator' inside the first [QUOTE] box as in [QUOTE=BOAC] blah blah blah [/Q....]

Pontius Navigator
14th Jul 2011, 14:17
Dat am true

BOAC said "you do the same by putting '=Pontious Navigator' inside the first box"

But not as neat and far more keystrokes. Mind you, we were talking lazy as well who don't bother to edit the quote so would they bother to add the OPs name?

I find that unattibuted quotes are annoying as you try and trace who said what to whom and why :)

airtren
14th Jul 2011, 14:19
Thank you all for your suggestions

I've tried all 3 editors that I could select "basic", "standard", and "enhanced -wysiwyg", and all had the same result. I am normally using the "enhanced" - I can't remember if I specifically selected it, right after I registered, or came as a "default".

airtren go to 'user CP (very top left)>edit options> then scroll down to the bottom and change from basic editor to standard editor in the drop down menu, save and all will be revealed.

This seems to work, for one level of quotation. A "nested" quotation (quotation within quotation) seems to not get propagated/included to the reply.

Hit the reply button in the post you want to quote.
Delete the "1" from the address bar at the top.
Hit Enter.

The function "quick/reply" - with implicit quotation - seem to /exist/be available/ when I send Private Messages. Perhaps, as it was mentioned, it is not "enabled" for POST/REPLY for my account.

Well,... it seems that I have additional working options, which is better than when I started.

Thanks all again for your help.

green granite
14th Jul 2011, 14:41
to nest quotes, click on the quote button the number of times you wish to nest quotes for then paste each quote after successive boxes

Thank you all for your suggestions I've tried all 3 editors that I could select "basic", "standard", and "enhanced -wysiwyg", and all had the same result. I am normally using the "enhanced" - I can't remember if I specifically selected it, right after I registered, or came as a "default".
This seems to work, for one level of quotation. A "nested" quotation (quotation within quotation) seems to not get propagated/included to the reply.
[QUOTE]Well,... it seems that I have additional working options, which is better than when I started.

Lord Spandex Masher
14th Jul 2011, 17:07
'Tis far better to...bang.

But you can always delete selectively!:E