PDA

View Full Version : Flying boat in spain Grumman ????

sunnybunny
13th Jul 2011, 16:10
Hi wonder if anyone can help please.

I was on holiday in Spain at Roquetas de Mar (by Almeria) 2 weeks ago and was woken from my siesta by what I think was a Grumman flying boat going down the beach at about 50 feet. I only saw it briefly and couldn't get a photo so details are sketchy, definitley small flying boat, twin piston engines sounded like. So I think it's a Grumman of some sort.

It was not a civilian livery but neither military camouflage. It looked like rescue red and yellow.

Anyone give me a clue as to who owns it and what it was doing going so low? There was a regular sweep of the coast area by helicopter and boat looking for illegal immigrants so I presume it was part of that operation. It was a one off visit as well so may have been transiting to another base?

I've done a google search but without a particular aircraft type it's a bit needle and hay stack.

Anyone who lives down there care to give me a clue where to look?

Been Accounting
13th Jul 2011, 16:15
Canadair firefighting aircraft?

Davidsoffice
13th Jul 2011, 16:16
What about the Canadair CL-215 & -415 that the Spanish military have for firefighting?

Second by a minute!

sunnybunny
13th Jul 2011, 16:39
Thanks for your prompt replies.

I'd already found that in my google search, it wasn't that big. Pretty sure it was a Grumman, it may have been an albatross? Are any still operational down there?

Davidsoffice
13th Jul 2011, 18:59
There are only a few cm difference between the Albatross and the CL-215. The Goose and Mallard are quite a bit smaller but equally rare in actual service. Odds on it was a 215

sunnybunny
13th Jul 2011, 19:32
Thanks for the reply, as time goes on my memory fades. I was convinced it looked like a Grumman but you are most probably right.

Still curious what it was doing though........

Rico 25
13th Jul 2011, 19:33
You would be lucky to spot a Grumman Albatros or Goose these days as they are pretty rare in Spain.

The Spanish Airforce operated a small seaplane base using the CL215/ CL415 in the north of Majorca near Pollensa (Pollenca) -saw a few pics on airliners.net dated 2007 but would be interested to know if they are still operational.

Centre cities
20th Jul 2011, 00:18
Saw a couple the other week living on the far side of the runway at Malaga, regular over the beech.

Centre cities