PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar Beijing to Melbourne

Mach2point7
13th Jul 2011, 09:32
Other thread now closed, probably due to non aviation related comments !

7378FE made an interesting observation:

"Interesting flight times from Beijing to Melbourne

JQ 008 02:50PEK-09:30SIN20:50SIN-06:55MEL +1

I wonder what JQ will do with the pax for 11h20m in SIN"

I can't see how Jetstar can put JQ8 flight numbers on both those sectors, and schedule an 11h20m transit in SIN.

JQ8 PEK-MEL implies, by industry standards, a through service.

I wonder if the ACCC would view that as deceptive conduct.

Mstr Caution
13th Jul 2011, 09:46
The present schedule has J* departing Melbourne midday & arriving Singapore 16:50. Post November 24th there's no change to the Melbourne departure time & no additional services out if Melbourne.

So the only new service is Out if Singapore to China.

Two issues:

1. As mentioned above the long transit doesn't really suit a thru flight in Singapore.

2. With no additional capacity out of Melbourne & no change to departure time there's nothing really new.

It seems to me that all the noise is a J* Melbourne to China service when really the only new route is Singapore-China.

DrPepz
13th Jul 2011, 10:05
This is the most ridiculous schedule I've seen in my life.

This flight is purely a SIN-PEK flight, and for Jetstar to market it as an Australia-China flight, and the worldwide media to trumpet headlines like "JETSTAR TO FLY TO CHINA TO TAP INTO CHINA DEMAND" is just so much bs.

For all purposes and intents, the flight will be operated by SIN-based crew.

By the way I have flow Jetstar Asia/Valuair many times and most of the pilots are not Singaporeans - the last flight had two Brits actually and many are Aussies.

With Singapore being a really expensive place for non-locals to live in especially for housing and education for kids, I can't imagine that these expats are relocating for tiny salaries.

Chong Phit Lian, the CEO of Jetstar Asia though is an asset to the QF Group. SHe has built a lot of relationships with secondary Chinese airports - and for years SIA has tried to get additional slots into Beijing and failed.

Tiger could have learned from that and put in senior management in Australia who understood the local aviation market, instead of Tony Davis' friends who have made a mess not just there, but in the rest of Asia as well.

Mach2point7
15th Jul 2011, 03:15
The media is full of "Qantas Group back to Beijing" type coverage following this week's announcement of a SIN-PEK-SIN rotation using a Jetstar A330-200.

Jetstar is now selling a PEK-MEL service under a single flight number, JQ8. That service has a transit stop in Singapore that is 11 hours and 20 minutes long.

Most airlines would give the PEK-SIN and SIN-MEL sectors different flight numbers so as to avoid creating the impression that it is a through service. It is clearly not a through service as the aircraft will probably do another rotation from SIN in the interim.

This will not win any awards for best-practice dealings with consumers.

If Qantas management condones or permits such practices at Jetstar the Qantas Group has found yet another way of trashing its brand.

ejectx3
15th Jul 2011, 07:51
Yes but a competitor that has complete access to Qantas bank accounts and resources. :*

thrustpig
17th Jul 2011, 04:40
Has BB / CPL actually specified the peking airport (subject to RA)?? Its a big place.