PDA

View Full Version : Modular Training Continuity

AlexDeltaCharlie
12th Jul 2011, 19:26
Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm currently studying my A2 levels and PPL in the UK and evaluating my options with regards to commercial flying.

Without intending to start a modular/integrated debate...

One of the key arguments I've heard for not going down the modular route is that some airlines are wary of students who've trained this way, citing a lack of 'continuity' to the training. Specifically, is the issue with not having a continuous record of training and performance that an integrated course would provide, or is it a matter of airlines preferring to recruit solely from a large integrated FTO that provides pilots of a known calibre?

If the issue is with not having a complete record of training from day one to licence issue, is it possible for a modular student to collate this information themselves, through keeping copies of school training records and test results and thus presenting a detailed log of their training to a potential employer?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Graham@IDC
12th Jul 2011, 21:57
You could keep your own records but credibility would be an issue.

Continuity per se isn't necessarily what airlines are looking for. It's objective assessment of properly selected candidates and a rigorously disciplined course.

Some modular schools are already offering joined-up reporting which goes some way to addressing the issues.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
12th Jul 2011, 22:41
I think I am correct in saying this, but whether you are modular of integrated, throughout your professional training, it is a requirement for your instructor to keep a record of the exercises you have completed and provide comments on your progress throughout the course in a written file.

With the above in mind, if you are concerned about having this information to hand, you could always request a copy of this documentation for yourself from your flying school. One thing I did, was to keep a copy of my ATPL results and CAA test assessment forms when you pass your CPL and your IR. Your examiner will give you a copy of these.

When I joined my current airline, I think the only thing that was requested was a copy of my licence. On the assessment the airline did not seem to be too bothered whether you were a modular of integrated student, they were more interested in you as a person and whether you as an individual would fit into the airline, therefore I would not get too bogged down with this integrated versus modular debate. Most airlines these days have a realistic view on this, and of course it is airline specific, it all depends who is doing the recruiting.

Its interesting now being on the other side of the fence, I am sure most people on PPRUNE will agree that we all had similar anxiety when training about the questions you are asking, its natural, however, try not to let it cloud your judgement. The good thing is, you are doing your research and asking all the right questions, therefore I am sure you will find your way.

All the best with your training, enjoy it.

AlexDeltaCharlie
13th Jul 2011, 17:03
Thank you both for taking the time to reply- the research continues!