PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire to America

Wander00
12th Jul 2011, 18:47
Monster Moves - Channel 5 at 8pm UK - Spitfire moved from Duxford to the US

WASALOADIE
12th Jul 2011, 19:03
Thanks for the reminder, now recording it.

Tankertrashnav
12th Jul 2011, 21:09
Very impressed by the way it was all done. Was also somewhat surprised that the new owner actual fitted into the cockpit - towered over the English pilot who test flew it. Nice guy, seemed very humble about owning a Spitfire and anxious not to go down in history as the Yank who bent one. The Union Jack on his hangar wall was upside down, but we'll forgive him that, seen that often enough in this country. But where did they get that absolutely dire song from? In the final shots instead of listening to the music of the Merlin we were inflicted with that cheesy rubbish :*

9/10 for the programme though, glad I taped it for another look.

SpringHeeledJack
12th Jul 2011, 21:32
Yes, another thanks for the heads up. I was very suprised that they didn't line the inside walls of the container with very soft packing material to eradicate ANY chance of damage should the container have shifted during the Atlantic crossing.

Reading up on the new owner, he really does seem to be a decent bloke, even paying for his corporate pilots to have training to be able to fly his stable of toys when he isn't and they have time off :D

SHJ

Wander00
12th Jul 2011, 21:43
But where did the cheesy song in the background come from!

stepwilk
12th Jul 2011, 21:55
So the Union Jack has a right-side-up? Coulda fooled me. Of course, "you people" have enough country names that none of us Yanks will ever get them right: Britain, Great Britain, the British Isles, England, the United Kingdom, the Empire, the Commonwealth...nonono, don't explain the differences, we don't care.

Vulcan_baby
13th Jul 2011, 00:37
*laughs at Stepwilks comment*, love the sense of humour! I was hugely impressed by the program. My initial thought went along the lines of 'bloody American taking our heritage away (horrible I know), but very quickly I changed my mind. This guy had a real link to Spitfires and it was important to him to save that one. I don't blame him for wanting it at home and having seen how many classic aircraft and vehicles he had I really felt he was the right person to have it. Let's face it, she would have been broken for parts if she'd stayed here. He obviously loved her and is obviously someone who will fly her with love and reverence. I hope his remaining years in the air will be a source of pleasure to him and that whoever has her after will take as good care.

Tankertrashnav -I had exactly the same thought...'How the hell was he going to fit in the cockpit?' I am lucky enough to have sat in the cockpit of one of the BOBMF Spitfires (back in '81) when the flight came to RAF Wyton to celebrate one of 51 Sqn's anniversaries and reunions. My father was on 51 on Nimrods (yes, the East Midlands Aeropark's new baby was one of his) and we went for the reunion. (In case anyone was not aware, 51 was a pathfinder sqn). A friend and I helped push the Spitfire and Hurricane out of the hangar and the crew offered us the chance to sit in before they got round to the public. I was only 11 at the time and was swamped by the Hurricane but even then I was cramped in the Spitfire! He must have felt VERY cosy in there.

Agreed about the song!! Ok, it might be a tribute but it felt like it was written by a C of E christian with a perceived calling like so many of the almost up-to-date hymns (not talking the full-band pentecostal type). It might not have been so bad but it didn't read like it was written by a lyricist.

Krystal n chips
13th Jul 2011, 05:50
I have to say that, whilst the subject (Spitfire ) was interesting, the overall content of the programme commentary was utter :mad:.

The graphics were risible and the music wholly uncalled for. As for the operation, clearly well organised and they had some very good GSE ( which always helps ! ) but in effect, nothing out of the ordinary regarding a dismantle / re-assemble and transport task.

You only had to look at the airframe when the strip down began in depth to see the Spitfire was clearly very well maintained and thus a relatively easy engineering operation.

Before anybody asks, yes, I have done "one or two" transport tasks in my time..

The above critcism neatly summated by Ms Vacuous at the end when she commented as to how delightful the music was....:ugh:

PLovett
13th Jul 2011, 06:17
Those who have watched the series of "Monster Moves" will know that the music/songs are created for each episode - and yes - they are dire. The programs would have been much better without them.

PPRuNe Pop
13th Jul 2011, 06:44
IIRC the song is a new one written for a BoB event - something like that, about 2 years ago. I do not like it personally, and it is cheesy in the extreme.

Tankertrashnav. I nearly always look at any union flag to see if its correctly hung and I thought he had done that. I didn't record it so I cannot be sure. But it was interesting to see some Canadians waving union flags on sticks on the recent visit by William and Kate - all upside down!

treadigraph
13th Jul 2011, 07:15
Music/Graphics/Narration 1/10. Film work with ARCO and Tom Blair's crew 10/10.

As noted, some good tongue in cheek stuff from ARCO (well, I hope the AN225 stuff was!). I don't think Tom Blair is particularly tall compared to the nice Mr Romain, more the other way round if you get my drift...

Anyone else spot one of Tom's other Spitfires (the red and silver XIV RN201) peeking coyly out of a hangar?

rjtjrt
13th Jul 2011, 07:24
For people who aren't able to see the program, who in US is this gentleman who bought it and which Spitfire is it?
John

treadigraph
13th Jul 2011, 07:36
Tom Blair as above, and PL344...

Tupperware Pilot
13th Jul 2011, 07:53
Have to say was not the worlds greatist programe...good to watch. But the editing was bad. as already commented the commentary was really bad..!

and did anyone notice the other spitfire in the hanger in the states.....???I think maybe it was G-FIRE??

DHfan
13th Jul 2011, 08:36
I didn't notice the other Spitfire but apparently it was Mk.XIV RN201. Edit: as stated by treadigraph.

I miss it, I like Griffon Spits. :)

Quote Vulcan Baby
"Let's face it, she would have been broken for parts if she'd stayed here"

What on earth gives you the idea it would have been broken for parts?

Ridge Runner
13th Jul 2011, 09:53
important to him to save that one.

Are you mad, VB?

Flightmech
13th Jul 2011, 10:08
Loved the way John Romain took care of the aileron trim per the Spitfire manual after the test flight. Just a block and mallet to the aileron trailing edge. Job done!:ok:

Tankertrashnav
13th Jul 2011, 14:41
Tankertrashnav. I nearly always look at any union flag to see if its correctly hung and I thought he had done that. I didn't record it so I cannot be sure.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

I did record it, just checked, and he did get it the right way up (dont worry, stepwilk, I wont explain!). So my apologies to Tom Blair.

Should've gone to Specsavers :O

Tupperware Pilot
13th Jul 2011, 16:46
Oh...I forgot the First World War Tiger moth. :ok:

Vulcan_baby
13th Jul 2011, 16:53
DHfan, ok I might be wrong but in the early part of the program I was sure they said she was beginning to get into a bad state. If the deterioration got bad enough and no-one was willing to stump up the renovation cost then my assumption was that they would use what parts they could for other airworthy Spitfires. They mentioned a few times about how difficult it is to get spares. A natural conclusion I thought. Apologies if this was incorrect. It sounded as if no-one else was looking at restoring her.

Ridge Runner - again, I may be wrong, I may have misunderstood or misheard what he was saying early on but I thought the inference was that his father was involved with Spitfires in the war and was killed in action before knowing his son. Again, my assumption was that if his Dad was involved with Spitfires and he felt so strongly, then saving one to keep in the air was important to him. It may have sounded like I was saying that it was important that he saved that one. Maybe I worded it a little ambiguously and if so I apologise. I'd personally like to be able to afford to buy, refit and have a Vulcan in the air to take over from XH558 (as you could probably guess from the name) but Being realistic this is definitely not likely to happen. If I spend £10 on the lottery I can pretty much guarantee that my winnings will total sweet Fanny Adams. Oh well.

DHfan
13th Jul 2011, 17:26
IIRC, Tom Blair had owned PL344 for some years and left it and several other aircraft based at Duxford for a while. I hardly think it was getting in a bad state as it was airworthy at Duxford and flown immediately on re-assembly in the States.

Vulcan_baby
13th Jul 2011, 17:41
That was something that they did say, actually. It had been getting in a bad way, Tom bought it and had it completely restored so it was airworthy at Duxford. However, I think they said that after about a year and a half he wanted it over in the states which is what occasioned the program. You are right, it was airworthy but this is because he paid for it to be made so. This is also why it was able to be flown straight away. The team that did the complete restoration is the same team that did the disassembly and reassembly. Who better to trust with a job like that? I did think it was daft not to put padding down the sides though.

Rollingthunder
13th Jul 2011, 18:06
I think was daft not to have it stuffed in a B744F. Not as dangerous as a sea voyage, faster and at least would be at an airport on arrival. He seems to have the $$$

Vulcan_baby
13th Jul 2011, 18:32
Possibly, but I thought it was stupid NOT using the Antonov. Ok, they made the point it needs a three mile long runway and Easton only has half that but there must be one long enough somewhere on the east coast. They could then pop the Spitfire off and land-hop as much as they needed. They couldn't go over the Atlantic due to undersize fuel tanks but this wouldn't be a problem over land surely? That way there wouldn't have been the worry of it getting bashed in a container and having to be taken to bits. Oh well, done now.

Had a thought about the music, I've just been blasting Iron Maiden out here and thinking they should have used Aces High! It was written about Spitfire air warfare. Would have given a much more satisfying bang to finish with. Imagine that engine sound accompanying that song... WOW!