PDA

View Full Version : CTC wings

commandermonty
12th Jul 2011, 18:14
hi guys
today I had CTC wings assessment unfortunately I failed at stage 2 however they have invited me back in 6 months to retake it. this failing has demotivated me as I feel I am not pilot material because if I was I would have passed apt test as apt test is designed to test natural ability and failing it means I have no natural ability am I right in my judgement or shall i still carry on flying. what do you guys think?

Bond'll Do
12th Jul 2011, 19:30
Yes, get feedback and take it in.

Then decide whatever the money if you actually 'love' flying, warts n' all. It's hard work and not for the fainthearted. If it's all you want to do....then go for it and be prepared to learn and be 'precise'. If you can handle that, then you'll do well.

Just my thoughts/feelings..... GO well!:D

Bealzebub
12th Jul 2011, 19:54
Well if it is any consolation, I am aquainted with a few people who failed this assesment at the first attempt and succeeded on the second attempt.

Let me be as honest as I can with you, on the basis that my only knowledge of you is based on the the five posts you have made here to date. Whilst I applaud your frankness and honesty, it must be clear to you that if this is a realistic career goal then you are simply not putting in the necessary effort required to achieve even an average standard.

Your first post in February stated:
hi guys i am monty
i want to be commercial pilot i started my PPL flying training in august 2009 till sep 2010 i only flew didn't do any exams from oct 10 i am doing my exams recently i failed my nav twice passed third time with 92% and today i failed my aircraft general principle for second time:. this situation is forcing me to rethink my goals about wether i should continue in flying or finish PPL and venture in different career path as failed two of my exams doesn't look good for aspiring commercial pilot.
have any of you guys been in that situation? do you think i shall continue toward commercial pilot or leave at ppl?

Now there is nothing wrong with the odd failure here and there, it is something that happens to most people at various stages of their life, However this is a path with a very steep learning curve. It is only fair to you that you should realize that the effort needed at this stage is but a very small part of what you are going need six, twelve and eighteen months down the road. Given the fact that CTC have effectively sent a potential £80,000 customer out of the door, I have to say I admire their frankness and honesty towards you as well.

This is a very competitive industry. The majority of people who embark on it will likely fail to make it a career for various reasons, some of which may be in their control, and some which may not.

The aptitude tests you sat are an assesment tool and a screening device. They are not foolproof guides to suitability, but they are useful aids. If you take a step back and look at your history of struggling with the PPL examinations, and with these tests, it might suggest to you that you are simply not approaching this at the requisite level of knowledge, determination and effort.

If you are serious in your pursuit, then you need to raise your game significantly. There is no point in blowing smoke up your "proverbial" or trotting out "pep talk" phrases. It is very very hard to succeed in this career unless you are wealthy, determined and lucky, and preferably all three.

Only you can decide what is right for you. Take stock of the professional advice you have been given. Think seriously what you intend to do, and then come to a sensible and realistic decision for yourself. As far as I am concerned if anybody asks the question, "shall I carry on flying ( towards a professional goal?)" my brutal answer would be that you have probably already answered the question.

Megaton
12th Jul 2011, 20:10
Beazlebub is spot on. The PPL exams are the lowest hurdles you'll face on the way to becoming a commercial pilot and if you can't find the enthusiasm this early on in the journey how do you think you'll fare later on? The road to becoming a commercial/airline pilot is long and arduous. To succeed you need more than just ability, you need determination, commitment and application.

I have met aspiring pilots who have ploughed tens of thousands of pounds into their flying training but, if truth be told, they were never going to pass while they still had a hole in their proverbial!

Not only have you struggled with the most basic exams you'll encounter but you have failed an aptitude test. Ask yourself how much you really want to become a pilot? Are you prepared to embrace the sacrifice and commitment that is required?

I hope I don't sound unnecessarily harsh but perhaps it's time for a reality check?

FlyingEagle21
12th Jul 2011, 20:11
If you are concerned on your natural skills etc, I would recommend getting a an independent assessment.

Don't take it that just because CTC wings said they believe you are not right you should give up all hope. They're also assessing whether you're the type of person who can succeed on their course. Which not everybody is.

I know a guy who failed the assessment at Oxford Aviation, and who is now a easyjet captain. Also one of my close friends who has represented Britain Internationally in aerobatic competitions was also rejected from Oxford and was told he would struggle. He now has an ATPL and a job.

They didn't tell you to give up and never go near a cockpit ever. They invited you back so therefore probably believe you have the potential but just you weren't up to the current standard.

If you are not right for CTC then move on, go modular or look at some other integrated programs. Just don't think that it's over because one school say no.

Gapan have assessments every few months that are non-biased, here is the link:

Aptitude Tests - GAPAN (http://www.gapan.org/career-matters/careers-information/aptitude-tests/)

Goodluck