PDA

View Full Version : Noisy plane from Gatwick?

surely not
12th Jul 2011, 08:29
Was out for a very pleasing dinner in Crawley last night and need help in getting an answer to a question one of the ladies in the group posed.

Apparently every Sunday at around 2130 there is a particularly noisy aircraft takes off from Gatwick. We were talking about how when you live near an airport, busy main road, railway line, you get immune to the noise they make, and she agreed but said that every Sunday at around 2130 there was a particularly noisy plane that disturbed the peace.

Any ideas anyone?

Capetonian
12th Jul 2011, 09:15
A pleasing dinner in Crawley?

Please let me in on the secret! I know some lovely pubs in the area, the Gate at Rusper and the Half Moon in Charlwood being my favourite, but as for Crawley itself ......

surely not
12th Jul 2011, 09:41
LOL I was a tad apprehensive myself but Mrs SN assured me it would be fine and it was.

The area that used to be the High Street is now semi pedestrianised and has quite a few eating places that look ok. We went to 'The Giggling Squid' which is a very nice Thai restaurant, excellent food and pleasant atmosphere, plus it isn't too pricey. It is in part of the old George Hotel that has been made into independent eateries.

Capetonian
12th Jul 2011, 09:50
Thanks, I haven't tried the Giggling Squid, will give it a shot next time I have the misfortune to have to spend a night in Crawley. I do know that part of the High Street, and one of the eateries at the George is a Turkish restaurant (Ephesus?) where I had an enjoyable meal a few months ago. My other favourite is the Saffron Lounge. Then there's Prezzo which is consistently good, if a little formulaic. There's also a nice little Thai restaurant (Thai Garden?) in the one way street that curves round behind the High Street, I think the road is called Pegler Way.

Skipness One Echo
12th Jul 2011, 09:53
The only heavy after 3pm is the evening Emirates, the EK010 out at 2115 to Dubai. Perhaps the relative ambient quiet of a Sunday makes it more noticeable, but the B777-300ER isn't that noisy.

Johnny F@rt Pants
12th Jul 2011, 12:43
Who said anything about a "heavy"?? It was a noisy jet, there's plenty of little noisy jets still knocking about!

Skipness One Echo
12th Jul 2011, 12:47
Who said anything about a "heavy"?? It was a noisy jet, there's plenty of little noisy jets still knocking about!

Well thanks for that comment, but I did have a look at the relevant days on the movements page and that's the best bet for the time frame. A B777 heading for Dubai would sound a little different from a BA B734 heading for Glasgow, happy to be proved wrong if you have something to add though.

surely not
12th Jul 2011, 14:42
Well thanks for looking chaps, they were wondering if there was anything like a Russian freighter operating at that time of day, but if you have checked and found nothing I guess it will remain a mystery.

I think that Prezzo was the other place under consideration for a visit by Mrs SN as she has been there before and liked it, but my preference for Thai food won the day and Giggling Squid it was :):ok:

sam dilly
14th Jul 2011, 16:55
Hi There S N
i know it wasnt Mrs SN's birthday.
unusual of you to spend out otherwise, and to have the romantic words drowned out, was not very nice.
I see BA are using a ZT 767 instead of 734 on GLA + MAN earlier in the week.
keep scoring.
Sam

Hotel Tango
14th Jul 2011, 17:10
There are still some MD-80 series a/c knocking around. They tend to be quite noisy relative to the other types. Any airline operate the type out of gatwick on a Sunday evening?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
14th Jul 2011, 17:55
Tried looking at the Gatwick Departures page on the internet?

Charley B
14th Jul 2011, 19:53
My guess living right by the flight path at LGW is that it is the fully loaded EK flight taking off is what she is hearing.
Ek is ALWAYS full and heavy at any time of the day and as it is poss quieter in the evening on a Sunday?
Another strong possibility is that it is Air Zimbabwe-that has been very late some sundays(when it actiually arrives and is not canx!!) and that is a real heavy when it departs-that did go out on a couple of Sundays on 8R past here and really does make a noise and rattle the windows!
Those are the two i think most likely to be the ones she heard.
We need more heavies here:)

lgwpave
14th Jul 2011, 19:55
You could also try the airport website. There is link to a "Noise Site" on which you can enter a date and time and watch the tracking of arrivals and departures. Clicking on an aircraft will give you the flight details, including type.

Have fun !!

surely not
14th Jul 2011, 22:57
Thanks guys (I'm assuming you are all guys!) I will follow up on a couple of the ideas to track it down, though as I don't get bothered by it I might not break sweat doing so :E

Sam Dilly as you well know I do have romantic bones in my body, and it doesn't have to be Mrs SN birthday for me to take her out!! She sends her regards by the way.......:ok:

Rollingthunder
15th Jul 2011, 04:05
I live about a mile and half from YVR. Last few nights they have been using 08L for take-offs (something they don't normally do). 08L is about a mile away. The house shivers when they take-off.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
15th Jul 2011, 07:15
Rollingthunder... I don't think it's them causing noise near Gatwick!!

crewmeal
15th Jul 2011, 11:54
May be it was G-AWYS the BA 1-11 that was supposed to be haunted, after an old lady died of fright, when BCal 2 training captains over ran the runway in CFU. She was supposed to have been seen in the rear porthole on various flights after the incident.

I believe the a/c went to West Africa and crashed later on.