PDA

View Full Version : Sierra academy of aeronautics??

saunj11
10th Jul 2011, 12:39
Hi all

Before I get hacked for opening this new thread, let me just tell you I have searched the forum for the answers to my question but cannot find anything but posts dating back to 2001

So my question is, has anyone had any recent experiences from this place? I am looking at doing the professional pilot programme. Do they stick to their commitment of hiring you as an instructor afterwards?

If you do not advise me to go here, where else in the USA is such a programme offered where international students can instruct in order to build hours.

Thanks!

sonsal
10th Jul 2011, 12:44
ARI BEN AVIATOR, Fort pierce, Florida. F1 Visa and instructor internship. Good Multi time

HDhillon
10th Jul 2011, 13:11
EFT in fort pierce, i have have researched that can also give you an instructor job and you get paid for it while you do it...

Jerry Lee
10th Jul 2011, 13:33
I heard nothing but bad things about Ari Ben. Their planes lose everyday pieces, but I don't know how much true this is. Give a look at Flight Safety Academy.

saunj11
10th Jul 2011, 18:22
Thanks everyone for the replies. I had a look at flight safety they do look like the best to go for. Has anyone got any feedback though on their F-1 Visa Training programme?

How often do these places actually hire international students? Surely and understandably they would rather take US Citizens?

Im afraid im going to spend all this money and then get told to hit he road after I complete my instructor rating.

Jerry Lee
10th Jul 2011, 19:11
After the training, you can work as a FI with them for a year, but after this year they won't sponsor you to work there - it is totally unlikely to happen. If you want to live permanently in the U.S. try the lottary for the Green Card, or go for a night in Las Vegas and get married with a true american woman! Hmmmm... MILF MILF MILF:E

Give a look at Aerosim (ex-Delta Connection Academy).

EDIT

I see you're from South Africa. Aren't there a plenty of General Aviation opportunities? Like Federal Air?

saunj11
10th Jul 2011, 19:39
Hi

Yeah I understand I wont beable to stay after the 2 years , although i"d love to.
Im just worried I wont get the Flight instructor position after training.

I know there are alot of good schools here in South Africa, but none of them will hire me afterwards. And I need atleast 1000 HOURS before i approach an airline/ charter company. That will cost me a fortune if I just get training here and have to pay for hours.

In terms of oppurtunity aswell for me, chances of me getting a job here are low. Due to the governments "Previously disadvantaged" policy, airlines especially are trying to get more black pilots. Something which I am not against at all, its just the reality of the situation and im trying to get my foot around it:ok:

Jerry Lee
10th Jul 2011, 19:49
Ok, then give a look at all school in U.S. Contact both Aerosim and Flight Safety Academy, and give a look at Orlando Flight Training and Euro American Sschool of Aaviation as well.

I don't know the relationship between South Africa and all the other african country, but why don't you try to fly in Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Zambia and so on?

http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/450250-guide-flying-africa.html

As you can read in this post, there are several opportunities for low-hours pilots.

saunj11
10th Jul 2011, 20:09
@SoCal App

Im looking at getting an FAA rating. I can convert to CAA when I return

Im aware of all the costs involved for housing etc. I suppose it"s a risk I will have to take. For the same cost I can get only a CPL here in South Africa with a frozen ATPL. Infact it would be cheaper to go to the US. This im referring to 43 Air School.

I understand also that it"s not a guarenteed Instructor Job, and chances are I will probably be told to leave, but like I said its a gamble im willing to take. I would rather go through the schlep of getting through the whole application process, organising housing, visa's, TSA clearance etc and have a chance of getting some decent hours after than paying more to get less training in my own country.

Im stuck for choices at the moment :ugh: If you got any more advice on other options I could take please advise.

Highly appreciate it:ok::)

Desert185
10th Jul 2011, 21:34
Sierra Academy of Aeronautics? I learned to fly there (KOAK) in 1967...and they did hire me back as an instructor. Didn't even know they still existed.