PDA

View Full Version : Cost To Rent Heli For Training?

zCaptain
9th Jul 2011, 16:28
I'm wondering why it cost so much to rent a helicopter? Are the prices high because that's just what the going rate is or is it because of fuel costs?

I was wondering if it was possible to go to a foreign country like say Ecuador or Venezuela where fuel prices are dirt cheap. I'm assuming that those countries do have civilian chopper pilots, and that they do have school to train their students.

So why not learn and build flight hours in a cheap country like that?

Any answers would be appreciated, thanks.

zCaptain
9th Jul 2011, 16:33
I've come across a website called Midwest Chopper, and it looks good. They say they are one of the top aviator schools in the US.

Anyways on their website they say it'll probably cost an average of around 60K to get a private pilots license, commercial pilots license, instrument rating, and a certified flight instructor rating.

60K seems like a lot. Chopper pilots don't even make that much unless they land a really awesome job. So why does it cost so much? Or does this outfit overcharge?

Does anyone know of any cheaper schools?

Thanks

zCaptain
9th Jul 2011, 16:46
I assume that chopper pilot training is so expensive because of the cost of fuel right? Why not train in a place like Venezuela where fuel prices are dirt cheap?

I'm sure these countries have civilian chopper pilots so they must have aviator schools for flying helicopters no doubt.

Why not earn your hours in a country where it's CHEAP!??

Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

Thanks

Ascend Charlie
10th Jul 2011, 00:09
"I was wondering if it was possible to go to a foreign country like say Ecuador "

Well, Z, according to your profile, you are IN Ecuador, so it isn't a foreign country to you. Ask locally, find your answers. And it isn't just fuel. Look at the number of whirring and twirling bits on a helicopter, each of which has a useful life and needs to be inspected and replaced regularly.

Compare it to a plank. Come up with a suitable answer, write it on a blackboard thirty times.:8

grumpytroll
10th Jul 2011, 20:42
ROBINSON Piston Helicopters, Used ROBINSON Piston Helicopters, ROBINSON Piston Helicopters For Sale At Controller.com - Page 1 (http://www.controller.com/list/list.aspx?ETID=1&setype=1&catid=5&mantxt=robinson&MdlX=Contains&SO=2&pdcl=1)

http://www.robinsonheli.com/price_lists_eocs/r44_2_eoc.pdf

Notice there is no hangar cost in this estimate. I think 500 a month would cover that. You can see that just owning one yourself is very expensive. The instructor wants to be paid and the owner would like to make a little profit so $400 an hour for an R44 (fuel extra) with qualified instructor is not out of the question.

cheers