PDA

View Full Version : Online Pilot Calculator for Holds

737-fanatic
8th Jul 2011, 22:25
Hello there ppruners,

Does anybody know if their are any online calculators out there that enables one to calculate the correct headings when in a hold (applying the correct single drift proportions on the inbound and outbound sections).

I do not own an iphone but am trying to find online something similar to the pilotwizz application which seems like a pilots best friend.

If you know of any online calculator for this similar to the pilot wizz or something for the blackberry then please share.

737-fanatic
11th Jul 2011, 14:34
Hey guys,
Ok - let me rephrase the question for you all.

Are you aware of an online calculator like pilot wizz(for the apps) that are available?
I have had no joy in searching for this.
Thanks

Denti
11th Jul 2011, 15:06
The question is, will you be able to use an online application while trying to fly a hold? Usually that is not the case, best to learn the required basics by heart and simply use them.

737-fanatic
11th Jul 2011, 15:32
Denti - I don't dispute quick maths in the air is essential, but these tools are quite useful in the short time one has to plan for IFR flights. Surely you see that perspective as well,
So do you have any suggestions then matey?

rmcb
11th Jul 2011, 16:41
Turn it into an artform - get hold of 'Never Get Lost' by Wilhelm Thaller and RANT; you will picture the space in which you hold on whatever presentation you choose with no maths!

2 Whites 2 Reds
11th Jul 2011, 18:14
I've got a 'Hold Calculator' App on my iPhone but have never used it. Everytime I try to it just get confusing.

The single best way I sort out a hold is to just look at the hold orientation and I can instantly see which entry is appropriate and what sort of drift corrections I may need to make. I buggered around for hours during my IR trying to get the maths right and when it came down to IR Test day the examiner turned up early and in the madness I forgot to sketch the hold axis on the approach plate, flew it by feel and watching the needle rather than by maths (which is only as accurate as the wind forecasts anyway). Worked out perfect. I'm not being a smartarse but everyone has their own methods.

I was very lucky, my instructor at the time viewed hold's as an artform and it was an utter pleasure to learn from him. Sadly it's a skill that soon get's rusty.....if I need to hold now I just tell the FMC where, plonk in the inbound and which way I want it to go round, Activate, Execute and off we go. Sad but reality unless you're flying something less automated it's not something that you ever have to do. I still have a play on RANT every now and then just to make sure I can still do it manually though.

2W2R :ok:

VJW
11th Jul 2011, 19:07
I never learnt or used the rules etc in any of my training. I seemed to get by by having a good situational awareness and learning quick during a hold via trial and error... :D

kaptn
12th Jul 2011, 09:55
Just posted an IFR online simulator, check it out, it should help...

737-fanatic
12th Jul 2011, 10:04
Hi guys,
Thanks for all the useful suggestions on this all. Much appreciated.
Kaptn, are you able to provide the link, or repost the link on this thread for this calculator - i've done a search under your name on prrune but can't seem to get it.
Thanks

bingofuel
12th Jul 2011, 10:14
737 fanatic

has anyone taken the time to explain maximum drift and the clock code to youat some point in your training. If they have you would hopefully realise that the mental arithmetic method is simple, quick and accurate.
PM me if yiu need more details

kaptn
13th Jul 2011, 10:13
luizmonteiro - Online Simulators - HSI Simulator (http://luizmonteiro.com/Learning_HSI_Sim.aspx)

Here it is....

737-fanatic
13th Jul 2011, 18:25
Kaptn - this is a very useful link! Thank you. I have started using it already and think it will certainly help. Definately recommended to others.

maxed-out
14th Jul 2011, 10:48
Hi there

This is how I was taught to enter a hold.

Assume a right hand hold.

Immagine a horizontal line dividing your HSI/DI into a top and bottom half. Now because its a right hand hold, tip this line upwards 20 degrees on the right. It therefore slants upwards from left to right.

Now a line is immagined from the centre of the instrument to the twelve o clock position.

You now have 3 segments or sectors top right (is less than 90 degrees) is teardrop/offset, top left (is larger than 90 degrees) is parallel, and the biggest slice bottom is direct entry.

Entry is decided on heading not track so you're tracking towards a beacon on a specific heading and say your plate shows the outound heading of the hold to be 120 degrees. You simply see where 120 falls on your "HSI PIE CHART" and that is you entry. ie. depending on your heading if 120 falls in the top right offset segment then that is your entry required.

For a left hand hold just tip the horizontal line the other way so the smaller sector appears top left now.

This is how a certain Spanish fto in Malaga teaches it.

Good luck

Superpilot
14th Jul 2011, 13:29
It's Windows based but very good:

Aero Calculator software (http://hsors.pagesperso-orange.fr/adacalc.html)

737-fanatic
14th Jul 2011, 22:47
Superpilot - this is 100% exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the link! Your username fits your responses buddy!