PDA

View Full Version : VRG (Gol) buying Webjet

TOFFAIR
8th Jul 2011, 21:08
There are rumours that Gol is negociating a purchase of Webjet!
Any infos about what they pretend to do with crews, aircraft, brand?

GBV
9th Jul 2011, 03:40
Any infos about what they pretend to do with crews, aircraft, brand?

To pretend (English) and pretender (Portuguese) have completely different meanings...:E

Da Mooca
9th Jul 2011, 05:51
He is not wrong, because in Brazil managers always pretend what they intend to do ... :}

Sydy
9th Jul 2011, 13:07
Well...

In fact, doesn't matter the intention... The deal is closed and set. Just wait and see how the companies are going to be organized.

Good luck to them all!

All the best,

Sydy

TOFFAIR
10th Jul 2011, 20:56
The word pretend actually has several meanings among them "pretende". But taking this ambiguity, it most certainly can be applied to this case.
The situation is that Gol is getting from this deal not only one competitor off the way and precious slots at airports such as GRU, SDU and BSB but also a lower cost model, and speaking of cost crew cost always seem to attract a magical attention to the bean counters. So, keeping the Webjet brand opens the door to them to keep a lower salary crew... not sure if its possible or sustainable by Brazilian law though.
Another issue is that many guys have chosen Web over Gol due to the quicker upgrade and/or to be based other than SAO.
Would be nice if Gol would continue the multiple base option and offer it to their crews as well, but honestly quite unlikely:{.

TOFFAIR
10th Jul 2011, 21:01
Another rumour is going among Trip crews that it would take over 5 B733.
Seems unlikely, Trip being in partnership with Tam, but right now nothing surprises me anymore.
I wonder if it would be in an attempt to strenghten their CNF hub.

Iver
13th Jul 2011, 03:24
There is another rumour (not fact yet - just a rumour so far) that Varig (as a sub of GOL) could ultimately order some 787s (perhaps from leasing company?) and use them internationally - just like the old days flying internationally and representing Brasil with that recognisable brand name. Keep in mind, I saw this rumour on Airliners.net which is not necessarily reliable source. Regardless, if true, would give the Webjet 737 pilots a chance to maybe fly some longhaul some day at Varig - again, IF the rumour is true and comes to fruition...

Anyone else heard this rumour? Could it be possible?

TOFFAIR
16th Jul 2011, 19:19
This rumour has been around since a while, but lately its being revived. Actualy the holding is VRG who holds both brands Gol and Varig, the later one used more on international flights. If they do restart intercont my guess will be they will use Varig. I think the 787 is plausible as the company is sufficiently capitalized for this endeavour and further growth in the domestic market is limited by local infrastructure.