PDA

View Full Version : Can 'Neurontin' be taken at work / while flying ?

stilton
8th Jul 2011, 02:33
I have been out on disability for some time. My Doctor recommended and has prescribed this medication to help with my condition.

It is helping to eliminate nerve pain in my inner ear that has caused me to suffer with vertigo.

Does anyone know if this can be taken while flying as a Cockpit crewmember, is it approved by the FAA ?

gingernut
8th Jul 2011, 19:53
I should imagine they are cautious with any "nerve" type drugs, but hopefully they'll view things on a "case to case" basis.:)

It does seem to be a useful medicine for neuropathic pain.

stilton
9th Jul 2011, 06:59
I was afraid that would be the case.

Back to the drawing board !

lynn789
12th Jul 2011, 20:21
neurontis is overpromoted for many 'offlabel' uses and often only gives placebo effect, IMO

lynn789
12th Jul 2011, 20:24
caffiene is helpful but a big intake of sugar increases the bloodsugar leveland gives more energy for a while, especially when your time clock thinks you should be asleep

egld02155
3rd Aug 2011, 00:35
I'm an FAA Sr AME...just found the site and will chime in if I can be of assistance. There are two issues. One... can you fly on Neurontin (generic name is gabapentin), and the answer is, "No." I get questions like this all the time..."Can I take (fill in the blank) and still fly. Two... The teaching always has been, not to ask whether you can take the med, but what is the underlying reason that you're taking it. Should you be flying with a balance disorder that might come on unpredictably....not a hot idea. Just my $0.02