PDA

View Full Version : National Airspace Library

4Greens
7th Jul 2011, 19:57
Visited the above recently. Its at Farnborough and is like the Aladdins cave of aviation books. It can be found on the RAeS website with directions. All who are interested in aviation nostalgia can spend a whole day there. Its in a business park with a nice cafe for lunch.

All the research you ever want to do; its there. The librarian is extremely helpful.

4Greens
8th Jul 2011, 19:40
Would like to hear if any of our readers have been there and what they thought.

John Farley
9th Jul 2011, 07:14
I was there the other day and concur your first post.

JF

Genghis the Engineer
9th Jul 2011, 08:13
Aerospace Library, not airspace.

I was a regular user of the previous version at Hamilton Place before it moved to Farnborough, and whatyou say was definitely true. From everything I hear, it's only improved since moving to Farnborough.

G

4Greens
9th Jul 2011, 16:22
Thanks for the correction. Definitely improved. Do you find getting to Farnborough difficult?

Planemike
9th Jul 2011, 18:08
London to Farnborough does not sound too difficult to me........... Wish it was that handy for me...........!!!

Planemike

4Greens
10th Jul 2011, 07:57
There are some concerns that the move from London has inhibited access.

KeMac
10th Jul 2011, 10:52
The move out of London has made access easier for me. As always with these things it comes down to how many people visit now to how many used it in London. It is a first class facility though. I was amazed at what was there.

2 sheds
10th Jul 2011, 13:42
I visited not long after the move to Farnborough and was very pleased with the service. Friendly, helpful staff and material all ready for me, previously ordered by email. First class.

2 s

WHBM
10th Jul 2011, 15:50
Can anyone make the Online Library Catalogue work ? I'm getting a Page Not Found error.

merlinxx
10th Jul 2011, 15:57
Same as WHBM :confused:

Groundgripper
10th Jul 2011, 16:45
I visited them a couple of years ago to deliver a few years-worth of Aircraft Illustrated magazines that filled a gap in their collection (and released some space in my garage!) and I was very impressed with the set-up then. I recognised several publications that I used to access when they were at Hamilton Place and I was at ESDU at Oxford Circus (especially NACA TNs - yellow covers visible at 20 yards!)

I've always promised myself a visit to FAST, but not made it yet.

GG

WHBM
10th Jul 2011, 17:49
What would be a great use of the resources of such libraries nowadays would be if they made available all their printed resources available scanned in and as PDFs. So if I want to see a BEA timetable for 1970 or whatever, it is on line.

John Farley
10th Jul 2011, 18:05
Of course that would be wonderful.

But think of the cost of scanning in just one book let alone thousands. Who would pay for this?

Plus what about copyright?

JF

4Greens
11th Jul 2011, 05:38
To those readers who cant get the online catalogue. The RAeS website is undergoing a major upgrade which will amongst other things restore the availability of the catalogue.

Scanning documents etc is an ongoing task.