PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the recording of flight time.

emu
17th Feb 2001, 23:19
Can anyone explain the proprer recording of Pilot Function Time in the logbook (under the JAR regs)? ie PIC, SPIC and PICUS.

For example, whilst training for the PPL is solo time PIC or SPIC, and therfore does it or does it not need to be countersigned by my instructor. Also, would the Mock Skills or Skills Test be SPIC as there is no official input from the examiner. Essentially what needs to be countersigned?

Does any time away from the circuit count as NAV/Crosscountry time ,or must you land away (or a least follow a preplanned route).

For JAA PPL issue must you show some IFR time, since the syllabus requires "sufficient" instrument instruction to perform 180 turn in IMC.

Finally, if you didn't record excercise numbers in the Remarks column would it affect licence issue.

My thanks to anyone who can answer these!

Grandad Flyer
17th Feb 2001, 23:35
I can only advise what I have experienced, this may not be in keeping with the latest CAA rules, because, who knows what they are?!!

Your solo time prior to PPL issue, also your skills test (but not I think your mock test) should be counted as SPIC but if you then pass your PPL you can "convert" those hours to PIC. I would say therefore that your instructor should always sign those hours off as completed but they don't need any more than that.

I think there is a specific rule about cross country time. Personally I log anything where I go more than a few miles away from the airfield. For example, if I fly a 100 mile "out and return" its still a cross country, regardless of whether I landed away. However, for purposes of licence issues or ratings then I think you DO need to land at an airport (and preferably get your logbook signed to say you did).

As for instrument practice, flying under IFR (Instrument Flight RULES) and flying in IMC or simulated IMC are different things.

I would think that you don't need to fly IFR to practice instrument maneouvring.

I don't think you need the exercise numbers in your log book. You won't be put forward for the test until those are all completed and if you pass the test then you will be doing all those exercises under test conditions so it seems kind of irrelevant.
I know we are talking CAA here but generally they are quite sensible really...

batty
18th Feb 2001, 17:08
You cant "convert SPIC" time prior to PPL issue to PIC after issue. You can however count the test as PIC if you pass it outright, if you fail or partial it counts as SPIC.

Noggin
18th Feb 2001, 17:45
SPIC (Student Pilot in Command) is only relevant to Integrated courses of flying training for the CPL or ATPL. Its purpose is to allow students to gain 50 hours as PIC under IFR whilst a second person holding an IR sits in the other seat. (Reason- JAR-FCL does not permit flight under IFR without an IR) SPIC is therefore irrelevant to all other pilots.

Re IFR and IMC. Standard practice is to log flight time by sole reference to instruments not time under IFR. You can log IF for instrument training as this is usually simiulated IF i.e. the aeroplane is operating under VFR. The RAF log simulated and actual IF seperately, there is no such civil procedure, so simulated and real IF may be logged as IF. If you are in IMC it must be in accordance with the IFR. If you are flying IFR it can be in VMC or IMC. IFR has nothing to do with the weather, just a set of rules.

PIC is when your are in command which you must be on a solo flight.

If you are receiving instruction it must be DUAL (Not P1S or PICUS or P2)

P1S (PICUS) may be logged for any succesful test for a licence or rating providing it is countersigned by the examiner. You cannot claim P1S for any flight if you do not hold a valid rating apart, from the Skill Test situation.

If you don't put Flight Exercise details in your log book you will be part of the reason why licences can take a long time to issue, someone has to do unnecessary checking.

For licensing purposes a Navigation flight is one that goes to another airfield or via a number of pre-planned turning points. For speed of licence issue these should be logged. For legal purposes a cross country flight is defined as one that goes more than 3 miles from an aerodrome.

[This message has been edited by Noggin (edited 18 February 2001).]