PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Data from an old 32-bit to 64-bit New Computer

Warmtoast
7th Jul 2011, 10:43
I’ve got a new computer on order c/w Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium to replace an older computer that uses Windows 7 32-bit software as the operating system software.

I want to transfer my existing programs, applications and data from the old computer to the new one and wonder whether I should use Acronis True Image to do this (I make regular backups of my hard disks with Acronis True Image).

The only problem is that if I transfer all my backup data from the old to the new computer I assume Windows 7 32-bit will try to overwrite Windows 7 64-bit on the new computer, probably not advisable!

Any suggestions as to the best way to transfer just my programs, applications and data e.g. MS Office, Acrobat etc. etc without having to reinstall every single program all over again.
When I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 I used Microsoft’s Easy Transfer wizard using a special USB to USB cable to transfer my data from one disk to another, but it was so long-winded what with having to re-install all my programs and apps that I want to know if there is now an easier way to do this?

Any advice gratefully appreciated – thanks.

green granite
7th Jul 2011, 11:22
Just transfer the hard drive across as a slave then you can transfer what you need to very simply by drag and drop. You can then delete everything off of the old disc, clean it and put it back in the old m/c before you pass it on or what ever.

Mike-Bracknell
7th Jul 2011, 11:53
You cannot transfer programs from one PC to another and expect them to work. You will need to reinstall them (and in the case of things like OEM versions of MS Office you won't be licensed to do this and will need to buy new).

For data, just use Robocopy.

tony draper
7th Jul 2011, 12:36
I just did yesterday exactly the very exercise you are asking about,ie transfered the folders containg my music/photos/filmclips ect plus a few text files stuff like that no probs,just stuck the windows XP 32 bit disk in as slave to the new master Win7 64 bit,opened the old disk,opened the desktop folder and just dragged the folder I wanted to the desktop on the new master disk and bobs yer thingy.
PS There is probably a much easier way of doing this but this method has served me well for the last quarter of a century.
:)

A A Gruntpuddock
7th Jul 2011, 12:48
I believe you can use Windows Easy Transfer to copy your preferences across but most programs would have to be reinstalled. Some programs (may the designers be granted sainthood) simply run without requiring installing (they don't use the registry) so could simply be copied.

Why not stick the old disk in and set it up as a dual-boot system?

You can carry on using the old system whilst installing programs on the new disk. Some programs might not work on the 64 bit system so just leave them on the old disk. Data should be visible to both systems.

jimtherev
7th Jul 2011, 15:06
Wot AAG said ^^^

I did exactly this with the disk from my XP machine, and dual-boot. Using XP less and less (after 18 months) but I haven't transferred some of my almost-never-used programs across, so go to XP on the odd occasion I need them.

Saab Dastard
7th Jul 2011, 17:47
You will have to re-install almost all applications from scratch. I say almost, because there's some that don't write stuff into the registry (e.g. standalone executables) and therefore do not need installation.

But even for those you re-install, many allow you to bring over your preferences from the Docs&Settings applications / local settings folders - for example, I always just copy the entire Mozilla directory from old to new (assuming it's the same version), and this has never failed to bring all bookmarks, browsing history, cookies etc. to the new PC.

Also for Office applications, you can at least copy over the templates, including Normal.dot.

It is still a PITA, though. I've just gone through it on two PCs at home, going from Win XP 32-bit to Win 7 64-bit.

SD

Warmtoast
7th Jul 2011, 20:10
Thanks for the advice so far.

Dual booting is an option I hadn't thought of and seems a good idea, so will probably give it a go.

Warmtoast
8th Jul 2011, 10:27
A PS to my last re. dual booting.

Will my existing (old) Windows 7 work on the new computer? I was under the impression that if you tried to use an existing activated copy of Windows on a new computer, it would throw up a 'wobbly' as the original Win 7 was 'locked' to the processor or motherboard of the original computer; use it on a new computer and Microsoft would identify you as trying to use a single copy of Windows on two computers which isn't allowed under the terms of the licence.

Expert opinions please.

WT

green granite
8th Jul 2011, 10:46
You would almost certainly need to re-install it on the new M/C as it is unlikely to work using the old disc in the new M/C and you would need to re-register it by phone, only do-able if you have the W7 disc and serial number.

Bushfiva
8th Jul 2011, 11:19
If you have an OEM license, then it's valid for the original machine only. If you have a retail license, then it's transferrable to any future machine. During the phone call, if you make it clear you're retiring an old machine and commissioning a new machine, you should have no problem during the phone call. The staff also seem to exhibit a certain flexibility based on your assertiveness: "this is what I paid for, therefore this is what I expect" seems to work quite well.

Warmtoast
8th Jul 2011, 12:03
Busfiva and Green Granite

Thanks.

Existing Win 7 is full UK retail not an OEM version. What's on the new computer remains to be seen.

I've also seen reference to a program called Zinstall WinWin that copies everything across from old to new, but it's on the pricey side US Dollars 100 plus.

WT

A A Gruntpuddock
8th Jul 2011, 15:35
You don't need to phone Microsoft - the system will usually prompt you to contact MS via the 'net to verify the software. Done it a couple of times - no problems.

ArronG
9th Jul 2011, 13:45
Another option will be to run your old operating system as a virtual machine on your new PC. You can convert your old hard drive and use Microsoft Virtual PC or VMWare etc.

ArronG.