PDA

View Full Version : Faa se/ir

Felix Saddler
6th Jul 2011, 05:31
I plan to head over to the states to complete my JAA SE/CPL and wondered whether or not it would be worth doing the FAA SE/IR also; reason being I've been quoted $19350 for the JAA SE/CPL and a 100 hour building package, and $20740 for the JAA SE/CPL & FAA IR & 50 hrs package - the IR also consisting of 50 hours. I'm currently a 50hrs PPL.
I plan to head out to Botswana upon completion to search for work as a bush pilot - I realize an IR rating isn't a necessary requirement but I've read the charter companies out there do have a preference for CPL & IR.
In the likely event that one day I want to gain a JAA IR, my understanding is: A JAA ME/IR can be endorsed with a minimum of 15 hours ME and the required written and practical examinations passed when an FAA IR is already held; Am I correct?
Is it worth doing the IR or would a JAA Instructors rating be more appropriate?

Felix Saddler
6th Jul 2011, 05:38
Please note the above prices are fully inclusive of accommodation, skills tests, license conversions, all fees, flights, transfers, license issues, visa's etc...

zondaracer
6th Jul 2011, 06:50
Where abouts in the US are you doing your training?

Felix Saddler
7th Jul 2011, 06:30
SoCal: The school is 141 certified so part 61 does not apply.
What I'm unsure about are the privileges an FAA SE IR grants me when coupled with a JAA SE CPL; also how is the IR renewed and does it have to be done in the states?

SloppyJoe
7th Jul 2011, 06:33
What school is it?

The FAA CPL IR does nothing for you JAA license. It does not make it a JAA/CPL/IR if that is what you are getting at.

To keep you FAA license current you need to do at least 6 instrument approaches and a hold within 6 months in actual or simulated conditions.

If you do not do this to regain currency you need to do an instrument proficiency check with an instrument instructor. Even if you let it lapse for 40 years.

Does not have to be done in the states.

Felix Saddler
8th Jul 2011, 01:47
SoCal: I plan to search for work in Africa, will I need to convert the IR & CPL to an African license over there, and will that only involve paperwork? Will I be able to fly back in the UK VFR with the JAA CPL?

SloppyJoe
8th Jul 2011, 03:13
what a miserable selfish person you are.

Asking for help on a forum but if someone asks what school it is you completely ignore them. Even though they provided you with the information you asked about.

It is a school, could understand if it was a job as would want to get in there first, but a school? Why the secrecy?

As an FAA instructor who spends loads of time in the uk with access to an N reg 150 could have helped with BFRs IPCs. Also have contacts in Africa from working over there for a few years, oh and as I have an N reg ATP but unable to work in the US so had to find all those low time jobs in N reg aircraft that are based in Europe, know of quite a few and good friends with the owners. In fact brother is chief pilot at one place that has three N reg twin turboprops in Europe.

Hope you don't get more help from any one else.

Felix Saddler
8th Jul 2011, 05:56
SloppyJoe:
At no point was I dismissing your request in a selfish or miserable manner. If discussing schools had any relevance to this thread then I would have probably discussed such. However, since this thread concerns the formalities of holding an FAA IR then I ask relevant questions to get relevant answers.

SoCal:
Thanks for the help thus far, the FAA licensing is all very new to me and I'm just trying to cover my back. To clarify: I'll have the following - FAA IR, UK JAA PPL, FAA PPL conversion and a JAA CPL. This will allow me to fly privately IFR or VFR on N-registered aircraft and commercially* or privately VFR on G registered aircraft? Am I right in thinking so?

* I'm aware a full JAA ATPL is required to fly in an airline but I am not looking to do that - just yet. I'm looking to get licensed to enable me to fly commercial single ops vfr in Africa.

Felix Saddler
8th Jul 2011, 16:38
Yes you are probably right SoCal. Is doing the IR in the states and then converting it here in the UK a cheaper option than doing it outright in the UK? Or after the hastle does it just add up as per what it would over here anyways?

Felix Saddler
9th Jul 2011, 09:04
SoCal:
Many thanks for all your help! I've decided not to do the IR and just stick with the cpl.

FS.