PDA

View Full Version : Prolonged diarrhea

Simon10
5th Jul 2011, 18:29
Just out of the blue, from absolutely nowhere I got a diarrhea with some blod loss. The blood I reckon came from some nasty hemorrhoids and was a one time occasion.

Now, almost a week after, I still got the ****. It's not very fequent, say 4-5 times a day, but the content is rather liquid (sorry for the details).

Tomorrow I'm about to deposit some samples to my local lab, (EHEC, F-calprotectin, Salmonella, Shigella and C.Diff). Don't really know if this will explain why I'm having these (****)problems.

Thursday is scheduled for view up in the XXXX (only the first 20 cm.).

Any ideas on the cause? My GP tends to think stress, but I'm quite sure you cant see the stress up my butt, or can you?

gingernut
5th Jul 2011, 19:22
There are many different causes for diarrhoea, from very serious causes, to transient, insignificant causes, that mean nothing medically, but can be a pain in the bum.

Taking into consideration your age and the duration of your symptoms, it's very unlikely that there is anything serious going on, which I'm sure will be confirmed by the viewing.

A message to all Ppruner's-rectal bleeding worries people, can't remember the exact figures, but i think it affects at least 40% of the population at some time in their life.

Always get it checked, your GP is a good starting point.:ok:

piotro
5th Jul 2011, 19:42
Could be couple of things, one important question is whether blood is light "fresh" red or dark (if you still get it), if you see it it is possibly light red, that would suggest it is coming from the end part of your "exhaust".
It could be bacteria/parasites, etc - samples will give an answer, could be hemorrhoids (usually found by first check, so called "finger in the butt" test GP should do), but if diarrhea and increased number of toilet visits continues then it may be some colon inflammation (i.e. with ulcerative colitis, ...) and even worse stuff.
Most important is, if it continues, ask firmly your GP to get an endoscopy test if the tests you're scheduled for will not show anything, don't necessary let GP assume it must be hemorrhoids, better check than not.

Boss Raptor
5th Jul 2011, 20:08
sorry to be doom and gloom but...as experienced with 2 friends both now gone, in last 5 years

those symptoms also can be bowel cancer...get it checked...

gingernut
6th Jul 2011, 07:10
Good advise Boss Raptor, but important to remember it's very unlikely that in his case, it isn't bowel cancer.

lofo101
31st Jul 2011, 08:36
"Any ideas on the cause? "
Without knowing more, the most likely cause would be a mild viral infection of the gut. A one week or so duration would be normal.
With all that diaorrhea, some blood is inevitable. Anyway, you're getting it checked that's the main thing.

CY333
2nd Aug 2011, 08:05
Check for Clostridium is the best thing to do.
Clostridium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clostridium)
Usually they do these tests and as I saw they are already.

I had it and had a hard time.

3800 reported deaths last year in the UK.

The blood can be due to the wounds caused by the infection.

I would really check it , especially if you got mucus , which is an indication of toxin A and B.

Not trying to scare you here but is maybe worth looking into it as time is the key point.