PDA

View Full Version : OPS manuals on my Kindle.

BarbiesBoyfriend
4th Jul 2011, 10:57
Hi Folks

To save paper (?) our company now issues the manuals on USB memory sticks.

Lets not go into the whys and wherefores of that just now, suffice to say that its not very popular.

I've seen folk put their Ops manuals onto the iPad- and it works very well for sure.

I don't have a iPad, but I DO have a Kindle and understand that it supports the PDF format that the manuals are written in. The Kindle does not have a USB port though.

1. Will my Kindle do the job for me? and....

2. If so, how do I put the info onto the Kindle?

Many thanks

Ken.

AirResearcher
4th Jul 2011, 11:08
Hi Ken
yes Kindles handle PDF's pretty well, Amazons kindle section explains how to do it. Not sure how easy it will be to zoom in on any important diagrams etc though, worth testing it all out.

Daft question perhaps... but is there any merit in suggesting theres an (isolated) USB charging point onboard for crews somewhere

mixture
4th Jul 2011, 11:37
Daft question perhaps... but is there any merit in suggesting theres an (isolated) USB charging point onboard for crews somewhere

It's called a USB power adapter and it's located in your bag. :E

AirResearcher
4th Jul 2011, 13:19
Daft question perhaps... but is there any merit in suggesting theres an (isolated) USB charging point onboard for crews somewhere It's called a USB power adapter and it's located in your bag. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

.... which you can plug in on the aircraft....ie in the cockpit???....:ooh:

mixture
4th Jul 2011, 14:06
Well, the assumption was that having such a gadget would enable you to top up your charge here and there when you find yourself on the ground.

Admittedly might not be such a useful proposition for those on longhaul fleets. In which case, I see where you're coming from with your idea !

BusyB
4th Jul 2011, 19:23
I don't use my Kindle for PDF Ops manuals, print is too small and not easy to search. Instead I cut and paste extracts and checklists in larger print PDF's to read on the train etc.:ok:

AirResearcher
4th Jul 2011, 20:58
Thanks Mixture :)

And BusyB thats genius!!! :ok:

mad_jock
6th Jul 2011, 10:27
I have the ops manuals on kindle you just send the pdf file to your knidle email address and it appears 30seconds later if you connected.

text size is of course controlled by the kindle and the diagrams are ok quality is the same as a A5 hard copy if not slightly better.

searching is the same as any other pdf docu

Avtrician
7th Jul 2011, 05:06
Easiest way to get the manual to your Kindle, if its on a PC is to plug the kindle in to the PC with the USB cable, and copy the file from the puter to the Documents folder on the kindle. No conversions needed as the Kindle can read PDF files.

Same can be done for any ebooks you may have in the kindle format.