PDA

View Full Version : Purvinas - you have no credibility, re Tiger

rodney rude
3rd Jul 2011, 00:14
Purvinas, I know you read this stuff.

Mate you have no credibility.

Tiger has been grounded due to piloting issues, ie two night time descents below the safe altitude. These two issues, and the subsequent grounding are NOT maintenance issues.

So WHY are you on the radio saying "I don't believe Tiger will be flying in a weeks time, it may take a month or more before they can convince the regulator that their aircraft are fit to fly." On a number of radio interviews I have heard you talk of this grounding in terms of maintenance and aircraft being fit to fly.

You are full of **** mate. You are engineer's union mate. You would do yourself and your credibility a favour if you said to the media "this latest series of issues and groundings are a piloting and training issue, they are not engineering or maintenance issues. It is not in my field of expertise, I represent engineers, not pilots."

Yes, the show cause had maintenance issues. But what has happened this week has not been maintenance. You want people to listen to you and take what you say regarding the engineer's claims seriously?? Well you have just shot yourself and your members in the foot by knowingly spinning **** on the national media.

You blew it mate. You are a lying joke who is twisting facts on national media for what purpose????

ejectx3
3rd Jul 2011, 00:31
I am fairly sure the grounding is not
just the result of the latest fly low issue.

bobhoover
3rd Jul 2011, 00:31
ahhh rodney, whilst ever you post under anonymity, you are the one which hath no credibility to pass judgement on such a fine individual.:=

buttmonkey1
3rd Jul 2011, 00:36
from the casa website...
The suspension of Tiger Airways Australia follows the issue of a show cause notice to the airline in March 2011.
Taking Tiger Airways Australia’s response to this show cause notice into account, CASA subsequently imposed a number of conditions on the airline’s air operator’s certificate.
These conditions required actions to improve the proficiency of Tiger Airways Australia’s pilots, improvements to pilot training and checking processes, changes to fatigue management, improvements to maintenance control and ongoing airworthiness systems and ensuring appropriately qualified people fill management and operational positions.

Sounds like there are issues to be addressed from the top to bottom.
improvements to maintenance control and ongoing airworthiness systems
being a big part of them.

listentome
3rd Jul 2011, 00:38
Agree
The public unfortunately don't know the difference between maintenance that lames perform, and poor maintenance oversight which was the issue in the show cause. We shouldn't be using the Tiger situation when it has absolutely nothing to do with lames and the performance of maintenance in Australia.
The current suspension is due to lack of confidence resulting from several flight errors.
Tell it how it is and don't twist it, Qantas doesn't want to further impact the travelling public by compounding the issues due to Tiger being grounded. The ALAEA is just merely assisting and not prohibiting this view.

fishers.ghost
3rd Jul 2011, 00:50
It is the first time CASA has grounded an entire airline.
The authority says it is a result of serious safety and maintenance concerns, which came to a head recently after two Tiger flights flew below the lowest safe altitude.
It says allowing the airline to fly would pose a "serious and immediate" risk to air safety.
But Tiger Airways chief executive , saying he does not accept there are immediate risks to air safety.
He says he hopes services can resume as soon as possible because Australians want competition and lower airfares.
"I think people would be concerned if there was an expectation that competition was going to be removed," he said.
"I think the marketplace has benefited hugely from Tiger being present, we've seen from government statistics that airfares have come down since we started flying nearly four years ago and we want to keep going into the future." Although Tiger's domestic flights are grounded, its international flights are still flying because they are operated by a separate business.
Federal Transport Minister Anthony Albanese says Tiger could seek an injunction against the flight ban.
A CASA spokesman says the authority is considering whether it needs to go to the Federal Court to extend the grounding.

ALAEA Fed Sec
3rd Jul 2011, 01:44
I may have missed something but I don't think so.

improvements to maintenance control and ongoing airworthiness systems

That's our bread and butter bloke and on the extended ABC radio interview I did I made it clear that I am no expert on piloting matters. Tiger don't have their own LAMEs and they bloody well should. They will either man up and compete on a level playing field with the others or pack up and go home.

listentome
3rd Jul 2011, 02:20
Steve, I think you have missed the point.
This has nothing to do with maintenance performed. My view is that if Tiger had their own lames it may in fact be worse. Had they had their own staff, they may be pressured into accepting the poor maintenance governance and oversight. As it is with a third party, they dont and never will accept this risk. Exactly why that aspect is squeaky clean. The issue is more that the regulator has mandated that the maintenance control, maintenance watch and maintenance planning all be shifted from Singapore to Australia. This is a win for our industry. We should be promoting the ALAEA is supporting the travelling public by not taking action, and not that the ALAEA is pointing fingers at perceived maintenance problems that may or may not exist. Dont get me wrong, using the spin is fine, just make sure it is for the right reasons.

ALAEA Fed Sec
3rd Jul 2011, 03:21
Maintenance control is integral to what we do. The tasks co-ordinated by these departments are the same departments that missed mandatory work on the Ansett 767's. LAMEs work in Maintanance Watch areas too and it is the underesourcing of such areas that cause ongoing maint issues. On top of that they don't have their own LAMEs on the tarmac. Yes they do contract in AMSA (fully owned by SIA) and John Holland but the availability of immediate assistance as defects occur with parts and tooling is stretched to say the least.

Because of this, underlying commercial pressure is placed on crews to withold the reporting of defects. It's not their fault because they are caught between a rock and a hard place. Report the defect in the small port and not get home or wait till I return to Mel and have dinner with my kids. The Tech crews in most cases know the difference between go-no go problems but unfortunately, occassionaly without the Engineering background, those decisions are incorrect. The public stuff we have heard from CASA regarding their operation is the tip of the iceberg and the our union are comfortable with the decision by CASA and what we are saying about it.

The show cause included maint issues. The grounding including maint issues. The final nail was two flights that came in low but this highlights a latent problem that exists in this carrier that has continued to offer airfares well below the base required to cover the costs. Now, they can't even meet the minimum safety standards and that threatens to drag our countries entire safety reputation down. Something has got to give, better now before the body bags come out.

listentome
3rd Jul 2011, 03:51
Thanks Steve, and agree. I want to make it clear in the public forum about our ALAEA members that currently work on Tiger aircraft and the safety concerns that are both distinct and separate from that fact.

allthecoolnamesarego
3rd Jul 2011, 04:02
Hello Rodney...............

tail wheel
3rd Jul 2011, 05:45
From the CASA web site:

"These conditions required actions to improve the proficiency of Tiger Airways Australia’s pilots, improvements to pilot training and checking processes, changes to fatigue management, improvements to maintenance control and ongoing airworthiness systems and ensuring appropriately qualified people fill management and operational positions."

Whilst the incidents this week may have triggered the AOC suspension, the underlying issues include maintenance control and airworthiness.

PPRuNe is not a venue for personal attacks! Sort out your differences by PM, email or phone. :=