PDA

View Full Version : Non-existent macros Word 2010 XP

BOAC
2nd Jul 2011, 15:56
My copy (blank file) has 3 macros listed, but not 'present'. I have not put any in, and I cannot delete them (grayed out). Do I just delete normal.dot and let it rebuild?

Spurlash2
2nd Jul 2011, 17:13
Open Word, on the Developer Tab, click Macros, highlight the macro, then delete as you see fit.

If you don't have the Developer Tab showing:

Open Word.
File/Options.
Customise Ribbon.
On the right of the Window under Customise the Ribbon, have Main Tabs showing.
Tick the Developer box and OK.
Word will now have the developer tab showing.

You mentioned deleting normal.dot, did you mean normal.dotm? .dot is W2003, .dotm is W2007 and W2010.

Anyway..., yes you could by navigating to the \Microsoft\Templates folder, but rename to Normal.dotm.old rather than deleting it.

Report back!:)

BOAC
2nd Jul 2011, 19:02
then delete as you see fit. - aye - there's the problem!

" and I cannot delete them (grayed out)."

Re-doing normal.dotm has not achieved it.

Spurlash2
2nd Jul 2011, 20:06
It could be a macro project (do the macros have a name?)

Developer/Macros/Organiser

From the organiser tab...

Delete!

How did that do?

PS. Macro project. A collection of components, including forms, code, and class modules, that make up a macro. Macro projects created in Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications can be included in add-ins and in most Microsoft Office programs.

The exam question is: do you have any add-ins for Word?

BOAC
3rd Jul 2011, 08:12
Great stuff - yes, some 'add-ins' I do not remember putting in. I have 'deleted' then via Organizer' but they still show as 'existing'. I cannot locate the .dot and 'dotm' files in the normal Template folder's to kill them - any idea where they might be lurking? They are

MP3Extractor.dot

and

AVWiz12s.dotm

Google gives no help on 'getting rid' of the MP3 which seems to be associated with WinAmp.

Should add I have not rebooted.

Spurlash2
3rd Jul 2011, 08:38
In XP click Start button/Search/All Files and Folders, and then type

*.dot in All or Part of the file name. Same goes for the *.dotm

This will bring up all relevant files. Delete offending file.

I guess if the program has been removed it may have left a few files behind somwhere. That's assuming you have deleted the programs.

...or you could even try the proper way of doing it (my bad) by using the File/Options/Add-ins option in a Word document. At the bottom of that window is a drop down box with Word add-ins/Templates et al. Clicking on the Templates button takes you to a new window Templates and Add-ins. Should be there.

BOAC
3rd Jul 2011, 11:15
(my bad) - now come good! That'll do the trick. Thanks very much for your patience! Sooo easy when you knows!:)