PDA

View Full Version : Spotting points in LHR and LCY

hamil
1st Jul 2011, 11:58
Hi,

Heading to London next week... I am looking for some info about good spotting points near LHR and LCY and how to get there by bus or underground.

Thanks.

radar0976
1st Jul 2011, 12:28
I was there this week for the first time and I used this guide and found it invaluable

Viewing / spotting guide to London Heathrow Airport - Plane Mad (http://www.plane-mad.com/airport-spotting-guides/united-kingdom/london-heathrow-lhr-egll.html)

Skipness One Echo
1st Jul 2011, 16:02
London City is pretty easy, just take the DLR (Docklands Light Railway )to Royal Albert and take it from there. The airfield is smack bang in front of you with everything visibile. Underground connections at Canning Town on the Jubilee Line.

Home | Transport for London (http://www.tfl.gov.uk)

If you have a wander round to the Terminal, be aware that nowadays you can't see much due to the extension and that any attempt to shoot photos from the end of the car park will probably result in you being moved on. Police are armed and very bored so don't call attention to yourself and stay on the North side of the dock. Was there on Sunday night, perfect light in the evening with a friendly environment with kids, families and spotters alike.

Another option is the university and the bridge over the dock at the 27 threshold but be aware there are some pretty dodgy peeps about even though much of the area is nice.

denhamjosh18
2nd Jul 2011, 22:07
Well..... Im usually at the end of the 27's at LHR on Sunday's and I have to say that the best spots for 27R are next to snow plow pen on the round about which on the left of threshold facing the approaching a/c, or you can sit on the grass as the perimeter road bends around the runway, but you have to be careful not to stray to far in to it as there are signs that arn't very spotter friendly. For both of these you dont really need a very big lense. (i usually use a macro lense !!!:cool:)

For 27L there is a nice big patch of grass next to the runway opposite hatton cross station, where there are usually a nice group of fellow spotters there. Alternatively you can find a spot on the concrete, but its not as comfy as the grass. No matter which side you are, everybody is very friendly.

To get to either of the runways your best bet is to get the tube to hatton cross, which you can find with a handy tube map. From there 27L is pretty visible, but for 27R you need to take a walk past the BA hangars, TBC (look it up on a map :ok:) which use to be the old Concorde hangars. If you walk towards them past a big round about, then turn right. Walk along the fence and just follow it around, until you see the runway. On the way stop at the gate and you'll see concorde (can't remember which one she is) behind the hangar.

Hope this mini guide to Heathrow is helpful, PM me if you want anymore info. See ya next week :ok::ok::ok:

PS: There might be some word mistakes, but I cant be bothered to read through it all.:cool: