PDA

View Full Version : going past your BFR

Green_pilot_79
29th Jun 2011, 16:18
Private pilot with BFR coming up in the next month or so. Have not flown since December last year so....

What happens if i want to start flying at start of next year this will pass my BFR date by 3-4 months. Is there anymore requirments i have to do ? Obviously i dont have to do my ppl theory exams as they are allready complete.

Lasiorhinus
29th Jun 2011, 18:47
:confused:

I'm guessing that Green Pilot 79, posting in the Australia forums and being from Perth, lives in one of the Perths in Australia.

If your BFR falls due, then you won't be able to fly until you complete it. That's all. Lets say your BFR is due on September 1st, and you intend to start more flying in February next year.

You're legal to go flying up to September 1st, but after that date you will not be able to fly as pilot in command until you complete a BFR. There's nothing else to do along the lines of more exams- your license is valid perpetually, the only thing you need to do is maintain your up to date knowledge of the changes in the rules, such as the incidental change in terminology where BFRs are actually now known as AFRs.

If you havent already got a Night VFR rating, I'd recommend doing one of those, as the issue of a rating counts as a BFR. At the very least, consider an endorsement on something extra to build your skills: if you're paying for an instructor, make the most of the time. Endorsements dont automatically count as BFRs, but its a simple matter to agree with the instructor beforehand that you'll do the BFR as part of the endorsement, or vice-versa. Get a tailwheel endorsement, or floats, or retractable undercarriage.

If you are in Perth in WA, head out to Jandakot and talk to SW; he'll get you sorted in a minimum of fuss.

PA39
29th Jun 2011, 22:55
Green pilot, book in for your AFR...all will unfold. Your Instructor will lead you through procedures and requirements. Just go and do it mate, it will all fall into place.

Unhinged
29th Jun 2011, 23:04
Gidday Green, just do your AFR (aka "BFR") when you're ready to start flying again. The renewal requirements don't change when it expires.

Victor India
29th Jun 2011, 23:46
SoCal,

Are you serious? Simple logic dictates that questions on THIS forum reference Australian regulations unless otherwise stated, which people do occasionally.

Otherwise, on a predominantly Australian thread, every question of this nature would need to be prefixed with "according to Australian regulations...". I'm sure the good folk in the USA with FAA licences would object to such verbosity on their own forums, just because an outsider like me was having a casual read.

No clarification is required. Only a little common sense.

VI

waren9
30th Jun 2011, 00:51
Geez Wayne, you guys sound like Yanks. Australian forum indeed. DG&P it says at the top.

Next you lot will be calling it the World Series of AFL! Come to think of it, they may as well, nobody else plays it!
:}

Hasselhof
30th Jun 2011, 04:36
Pretty sure it says Dunnunda, Godzone and the Pacific An independent family of forums covering all aspects of the Australian/NZ aviation scene.

Why you'd assume FAA.... not real sure.

Like Lasiorhinus said, but don't forget things like current medical, ASIC/AVID etc.

Have fun :ok:

T28D
30th Jun 2011, 09:18
Why you'd assume FAA.... not real sure. Three little letters BFR

empacher48
30th Jun 2011, 09:41
Well.. You also do BFRs in New Zealand as well. So its not a totally American idea..

Green_pilot_79
30th Jun 2011, 10:09
<--- Austrlaian so soory for the confusion. So its a AFR there ya go times have change. Lasiorhinus thanks for the advice I think the NVFR is the trick if that also counts as a BFR woops AFR..

Cheers will enquire and ask and who is SW at jandakot ??

Mike Litoris
30th Jun 2011, 21:35
GP79

Just to clarify, an AFR stands for Aeroplane Flight Review, not an Annual Flight Review....and they are required every two years unless you do a CIR renewal, or you do a rating, which counts as an AFR. However an endorsement won't cover it, Not sure why.

My question to the rotary chaps out there.... Do you guys do a HFR?

ML

Look Mum - no hands
30th Jun 2011, 21:46
I think you'll find that a type/class/design feature will satisfy the requirement for an AFR, provided the training is completed by a Grade 1 or approved Grade 2 instructor:

(5)A private (aeroplane) pilot who, within the period of 2 years immediately before the day of the proposed flight, has: (a) passed a flight test conducted for the purpose of:
(i) the issue of an aeroplane pilot licence; or
(ii) the issue, or renewal, of an aeroplane pilot rating; or
(b) satisfactorily completed an aeroplane proficiency check; or
(c) satisfactorily completed aeroplane conversion training given by the holder of a grade of flight instructor (aeroplane) rating that authorises him or her to conduct aeroplane flight reviews;

is taken to have satisfactorily completed an aeroplane flight review.

"Conversion Training" = training for the issue of an endorsement.

Mike Litoris
30th Jun 2011, 21:52
I stand corrected....

ML

Unhinged
30th Jun 2011, 22:38
My question to the rotary chaps out there.... Do you guys do a HFR?

Welll ... most do :E The rules are pretty-much the same as for AFRs

roundsounds
1st Jul 2011, 05:36
Hello Greeny
What ever you decide to do about your Flight Review I recommend reading the Civil Aviation Advisory Publication (CAAP) which provides advisory information on what a Flight Review should consist of. Here is a link to the document:

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/download/caaps/ops/5_81_1.pdf

What ever you decide it's not a big deal, if you are safe to fly you'll be OK, if your not the instructor should let you know what you need to do to get up to speed.:ok: