PDA

View Full Version : General idea of real world B1 or B2 Salarys?

Kengineer-130
28th Jun 2011, 21:17
Sorry for a boring question, but what is a realisitic figure to be earning in the UK as a B1/2 LAE? Lots of job adverts have on application or competetive etc etc :ugh:, hard to get a good average guess?

Alber Ratman
28th Jun 2011, 22:36
Depends on who you work for.. My place, a one type base LT gets about 30K basic for a 37 hour week.. An RAF SNCO gets a lot more as we both know! Airline Line Maint LT gets 40k-50k depending on number of types on his ticket and the subsquent approval pay. There are so many variables in OT rates and grade structure from company to company...:8

I know Crew Chiefs (C Certs) that pull in a lot more.. With the OT of course!

Flyboy543
28th Jun 2011, 23:21
Have a look at this link:

Salary Survey 2010 - Aircraft Engineers Bulletin Board (http://www.airmech.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=144)

Kengineer-130
28th Jun 2011, 23:59
I did find that earlier thanks Flyboy, not a lot of good gen in there though I didn't think? :(

EGT Redline
29th Jun 2011, 03:22
what is a realisitic figure to be earning in the UK as a B1/2 LAE?

A lot more than a SNCO or WO in the RAF!!

You're looking at a starting salary of £40k for a B1 or B2 LAE with one type rating at your typical UK Airline/MRO. Extra tyes attract additional approval payments and can push this figure up significantly. A LAE with multiple types will pull in somewhere in the region of £50-60k. Overtime is extra.

Third partly MRO's don't tend to pay so well. An unlicensed line mechanic at my place of work will earn the same as a certifier at Alber Ratman's employer.

Topspotter
29th Jun 2011, 16:20
My brother in law is a licensed engineer with a well known uk operator his salary is around 53k PA, this includes a shift premium and type rating payments, he normally makes around 60k with O/T payments etc

h3dxb
29th Jun 2011, 22:13
Given the fact, You went through all the hoops to get the B1 or B2 license by your self , do not ask less then 60 K. As I hired for not less. PM's welcome for B747 all types.

Rigga
29th Jun 2011, 22:19
45-60K with OT is not unreal for a B1/2 with types.

I settled for a 50K salary as a QAM and I know I can get 60K if I wanted to move.

ironchefflay
30th Jun 2011, 01:46
Helis in Aberdeen, a B1 or B2 can Start at around £50K with one type, up to £70K or more with top level supervisor. with OT or Offshore trips, you can add thousands

grounded27
30th Jun 2011, 20:40
Slightly off topic, I am in the US, with one of the top 3 (pay wise) large operators and make just shy of 90k dollars a year base pay. MRO work pays 30-50k, Corperate pays about 40-60k. Coming up on 20 years in soon, about 5 years with the current operator doing line avionics work. We do not certify but am well trained and experienced on b727,747classic,757,777, A300-200/600, 310-200/300,DC9/10/MD11. Have experience on 707,737, 767,bac111,dc-8,md80/90,most bombardier and gulfstreem jets.

pez1
30th Jun 2011, 20:43
At the UK airline I work for, an LAE with multiple types will earn in the region of £50-£55k.
With o/t, expenses, trips etc £65-£70k+ is easily achievable.

spannersatcx
2nd Jul 2011, 08:41
Not everyone pays approval/type pay, some are salaried, which is better for pensionable pay and OT rates. Recent positions at EY based at MAN advertised 52k, LHR 56k. The upshot is it varies, there is not set standard.

MATMAX
2nd Jul 2011, 09:00
Spanners,
I have been told that these positions have been filled in already ... by guys who get the grey credit card already ...
Employers are doing what they want about salaries , depending on how many types on the AML and experience and how they wanted to have somebody , based on the cv ...
Cheers.

NWT
2nd Jul 2011, 09:39
They may have been filled for now....sure it won't be long before there are more vacancies judging by the way the staff are treated....just look at the turn over of LAE's recently....

T120Bobber
2nd Jul 2011, 10:48
The chances of you getting a realistic figure are remote. Not because of all the different bits and pieces in terms of payments for this or that but because most people can't separate idea's from reality. And the system of payments, shifts and hours are deliberately confusing. There is HM taxes before the salary gets to you and only after that happens can one begin to see reality poking his little head out.

Reality is what gets put in the bank account at the end of each month

A realistic ballpark figure for someone certifying at LHR for the worlds worst airline gets approximately 2700 GBP into his bank account.

A guy from another outfit not so big will get about 3000 GBP in his account at the end of the month.

From that he must then pay mortgage/rent/council tax/20% VAT on everything/road tax/car tax/petrol tax/sin tax/various registrations and so the list goes on...and on hahaha.:}:}:}

pez1
2nd Jul 2011, 12:10
£3000 net a month would be a totally flat month, with pension, shares, salary sacrifice items etc already deducted.

Where I work, I don't know anybody who's had a flat month, (except if they are off sick or on leave), for a number of years.
A more realistic net monthly figure can be anywhere from £3300-£4300+ depending on how much you want to work.

T.R Haychemu
3rd Jul 2011, 05:09
A more realistic net monthly figure can be anywhere from £3300-£4300+ depending on how much you want to attend.

Fixed it for you :ok:

TURIN
3rd Jul 2011, 13:30
by guys who get the grey credit card already

Forgive my ignorance MATMAX, but what does that mean? :confused:

Also, positions have been offered to candidates at MAN but not all have been taken. :hmm:

Back to the original question,

4 on 4 off 12hr shift, no 'type' pay as the company does not pay it no matter if you have one or twelve different aircraft/engine combinations, no OT (well not for a long time anyway)

Take home pay £2600/month.

pez1
3rd Jul 2011, 20:42
Yeah, I suppose 'attend' is a more accurate term to use TR Haychemu! :D

cone zone
5th Jul 2011, 03:59
4 on 4 off 10hr shift take home AU$6400/calendar month without OT (plenty available if you want it)

spannersatcx
5th Jul 2011, 09:23
Turin, I heard they wanted 4 LAE's, 1 from monarch 2 from TCX been offered! Not sure of the other position, 1 other from Monarch declined it. I couldn't afford the paycut:eek: Plus the shift pattern was rubbish.

MATMAX
5th Jul 2011, 20:55
TURIN,
I am talking about the GCAA License ... i know one guy who just left CDG to MAN ... is it you maybe ?
12 hours shift for 2 330s per day ... get a pillow ready for it ...

Safety Concerns
5th Jul 2011, 22:30
I see its who's got the biggest willy time. Pez1, instead talking through your backside why don't you name the airline?

Thought so, I can hear the excuses as to why not already. Let me tell you why you won't name them. You made it up.

TURIN
6th Jul 2011, 00:49
Pez1 hasn't made it up!

Well, he may have done but he didn't need to. There's plenty out there making big bucks if you are prepared to accept the t & cs.

Matmax, thanks for clearing that up. Not all of them have the 'grey card' yet. I also heard a bloke from France was one of the chosen.

Spanners, So that's two from TCX and one each from MON/BA. Also heard today that a manager from MON has been in AUH for some time and will be running the show. Three mechs required apparently but the money's not too good from what I heard.

Best of luck to em I say. :ok:

MATMAX
6th Jul 2011, 08:52
Yes TURIN , best of luck to them ...
Now back to the thread:
Position in France (French contract).
Basic salary , for 35 hrs per week : 2200€
Have to do 39 so around 2500€
Approvals payment , premiums for tooling , car usage , food , etc ...
Net monthly payable , around 3000€
Yes , that much !
That is with an mro from a small european country who belongs to the uae ...
Other positions are available , requirement : 320 , 330 , 340 , 767 , 777.
Anybody interested ?
PM me.
Cheers.

pez1
6th Jul 2011, 16:58
Safety Concerns,

Unless I was mistaken, the name of the thread is 'general idea of real world B1 or B2 salaries'.

Far from 'willy waving'; I was simply stating what top grade LAE's earn at the airline I work for.

The salaries I quote are far from unusual, and I have friends that earn a similar amount at other airlines in the UK too.

If you insist on names, because 'it couldn't possibly be true', then as a starter, the 3 major UK charter airlines all pay similar money to the amounts I've quoted, and I have friends in each that have made £65k+ this year-some considerably more.

It seems to me you have a slight chip on your shoulder about something here?
If you're unhappy with your lot, then maybe you need to look else where for better t's & c's?

Best Regards, Pez.

airbusahmed1970
2nd Oct 2011, 17:30
From Europe & joined a middle east airline a few yrs back. Basic salary per mth 4000EURO,
Housing/petrol/utllities etc per mth 2300EURO,
Type rating per mth 250EURO for each type,
4 days on 4 days off with Overtime at 30EURO/hr
ALL TAX FREE

TOTAL without OT and 3 types 7,005 EURO TAX FREE

Generally do 40hrs OT a mth 1,200EURO

Beeline
3rd Oct 2011, 09:55
Blimey, is that pretty standard in the middle east.

Think I will consider moving on that rate!

Liney
4th Oct 2011, 17:20
MATMAX..3000 eur net a month is poor for an LAE at CDG.
There's better on the airport :cool:

MATMAX
7th Oct 2011, 10:31
Yes Liney , i agree !
PM me please , i am available ...
Cheers.

airbusahmed1970
7th Oct 2011, 22:46
Middle East life isnt so bad. Do your job, think of the end of the mth salary and you'll fit in. Avoiding company politics and religous issues is the key to a sucessful career. Fleet growth in EK and QA increasing every mth and both are always looking fior engineers. Lifes peaceful and the $$'s good.