PDA

View Full Version : Some advice....if you were in my shoes!

israel_tnt
28th Jun 2011, 18:14
Hi to all ppruners [yep ...a newbie for sure]
I've finally taken the leap of faith and decided.... It's now or NOW!

Background. I completed my [FAA] PPL in 2006 [at 26] and have not flown since. In short -wife, baby, mortgage and just Lack of Faith all contributed to that LONG pitstop. However, ALL [not many] who knows me, knows... I just can't let it go. It just has to be done. Enough sap!

I completed the first stage in 50 hrs [a few weeks in the States] but I'm NOT entirely confident that I can simply pick up where I left off after 5 yrs. I'm currently battling with the question of revalidating my FAA [in US or UK] and starting the ATPL's or completing the JAA PPL to ensure I have a solid foundation to build on. Thoughts?

I will be doing it modular, but with HASTE! I know that time is against me.
But .......the Lord is my Sheperd, I SHALL not want!

Many thanks
Israel

kaptn
28th Jun 2011, 18:26
Get in flying, or die trying !
not interesting is to see thing happening, but than make things happening...

flufdriver
29th Jun 2011, 21:47
mind you, it's been a long time ago, I am now 21 months away from mandatory retirement!
Did my PPL in 71, didn't fly again till 73(marriage/child etc), saw a unique opportunity arise, bet every dollar on an aviation career, did my CPL, IFR, & multi, missed what I perceived to be "my slot" to a relative of the CEO in 74, went back to School, got my CFI, did sporadic flying until 79, finally got my chance (at age 31) been there ever since. have been active in the Pilot Association, Chief Pilot for 4 years, exec. management for a couple of years. TT around 21k hours, first jet BAC 1-11/500 followed by 727, now flying a 737 and just winding down. Already busy with a lot of stuff besides flying. probably do some GA flying for fun after I'm done with the airline stuff.

Now, my advice to you: right now we're standing at the threshold of what is arguably the biggest Pilot-hiring boom in recent times, but you have to get in at the beginning of it, because as we all know, what goes up must come down and it always is "last in first out"! therefore, if you're going to take the plunge, do it now and do it with conviction!
We all know the job of airline Pilot is not what it used to be, but then, neither is any other job, but if you're doing something you like, the hassles that will inevitably come with it, will be easier to tolerate!

Good luck!

Luke SkyToddler
30th Jun 2011, 07:02
Now, my advice to you: right now we're standing at the threshold of what is arguably the biggest Pilot-hiring boom in recent times

LOOOOLLLLLLLL

What we are standing on the threshold of, is the permanent changing of hiring practice to pay-to-fly, which will pretty much reduce the industry to a place where only the very very wealthy can afford to play the first officer game. Only exception will be if you're arab or asian and come from a country that still sponsors national cadets.

I'd also point out that the vast majority of the hiring for next 10 years or so will be happening in middle east ... and with a user name like yours and your apparent religious belief, I don't think you'll be too welcome out there :hmm: