PDA

View Full Version : (UK) Hidden card charges for travel tickets to be banned

PAXboy
28th Jun 2011, 12:27
I can't wait to see how MoL responds to the Office of Fair Trading - and I do NOT mean that in a nasty way. He is just a brilliant business man.

BBC News - Hidden card charges for travel tickets to be banned (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13932299)

BUGS/BEARINGS/BOXES
28th Jun 2011, 12:45
Good!! At long bloody last! Now to see off the rip off bagage and seat selection charges, and we are getting somewhere.

strake
28th Jun 2011, 13:23
The way I read it, it is the "hidden" part that is to be banned but not necessarily the charge - although there does also seem to be a push to get rid of debit card charges at some point as well.
It would appear that all any of the current culprits (and they're not just airlines) have to do is show the charges up front.

AirResearcher
28th Jun 2011, 15:05
Mol - brilliant business man? So far it would appear that way to the general public, but digging deeper reveals his business model, coupled with his 'novel' people skills are going to bounce right back on him in the next few years. He probably wont complain as he will laugh all the way to the bank while Ryanair, and the industry try to pick up the pieces after the long term damage he has caused -which in the end will mean the public will suffer unfortunately.

Good news about the consumer victory with cards though..and hope that expands to the misleading website booking pages - Flybe need pulling up again over theirs.

PAXboy
28th Jun 2011, 15:25
When I said 'brilliant business man' I said just that. I didn't he was a good corporate business man, or a good employer or anything other than that he is a brilliant business man!!! :hmm:

GROUNDHOG
28th Jun 2011, 19:43
AirResearcher you obviously have spent a lot of time with Michael to know him so well. The many hours I have spent with him across the negotiating table and socially confirm he is indeed a brilliant businessman - tough, ruthless but you get what you see, I like him a lot and am one of his true fans. No apology for it.

Have to agree with you it is good news though about the hidden charges!

AirResearcher
28th Jun 2011, 19:57
Hi Groundhog
Thanks for your comments, and no I do not profess to having spent as much time with MoL as you have, but I wasnt referrring to that, I was talking about his public persona - which I am well aware is very different to his professional persona, and conversely to the character he displays when communicating with his staff, or to his shareholders. And therein lies the problem..together with his business model..I dont think I need say any more... the facts will reveal themslves in time and a lot of his dedicated followers will be a trifle disappointed I suspect... Its actually a bit sad because he could use his obvious talents in much more positive and ethical ways

AirResearcher
28th Jun 2011, 19:58
Thanks Paxboy..I missed the irony there..the perils of electronic communication! :-)

PAXboy
28th Jun 2011, 20:31
Not at all AirResearcher, I should have added a suitable smiley. That's my fault for being an old lag in this forum. Weclome aboard our happy craft and do luxuriate in the cabin!! :}

AirResearcher
30th Jun 2011, 13:42
Haha thanks Paxboy, :ok:

L'aviateur
30th Jun 2011, 20:45
It is a good victory. Of course it's not going to change the price or make it cheaper. But it will make it easier to compare prices like for like, rather then getting to the end of a booking process and to be faced with fees that you have no option but to pay (fee to pay, fee for security, fee for checking in) and have them all included in the up front total price. The optional extras (nice seats, baggage etc), well they are optional, no need to display those in the initial price.

Phileas Fogg
30th Jun 2011, 22:17
Excuse me for pointing out the obvious but HarpicAir (MOL) is not a UK business(man) as the title of this thread suggests ..... the Republic of Ireland is not a British country unless one is a BBC commentator of the football World Cup when none of the British country teams qualify!

strake
1st Jul 2011, 09:33
Well, I'm not sure I understand where the great consumer victory is. The Ryanair site now just has (very) small clickable reminders that administration fees are not included. Clicking take you to a list of all their charges. They still extract 6 euros for the privilege of using a debit card.

Easyjet much the same but still not very obvious. They charge 10 euros though.

BigFrank
1st Jul 2011, 10:04
The claim that the former charges 6 euro and the latter 10 euro is of course totally wrong.

Even accepting the stated figures, as Ryanair charges per person per ticket, but easyJet charges per booking, a family with 2 children on a return flight would pay 48 euro to Ryanair but 10 euro to easyJet.

¿ Some difference ?

Without mentioning any of the other Ryanair garbage pricing like 40-50 euros for printing a single boarding card which would set the family above back by 320 euros minimum.

Or the hidden conditions like extra stamps for non EU/EAA passport holders.

PAXboy
1st Jul 2011, 19:39
As I understand this ruling, action has not yet been taking. It is the intention that charges for Debit/credit cards are to be reduced to what it costs the company (airline or whoever) to handle the charge.

My guess is that we are a year off seeing this resolved.

Avionker
2nd Jul 2011, 09:14
Excuse me for pointing out the obvious but HarpicAir (MOL) is not a UK business(man) as the title of this thread suggests ..... the Republic of Ireland is not a British country unless one is a BBC commentator of the football World Cup when none of the British country teams qualify!

Phileas Fogg

Where is it suggested that he is? Read the article that prompted the thread, re-read the first post and all will be clear.

PAXboy
2nd Jul 2011, 11:05
It will depend on whether they try to make it apply to all who pick up pax in the UK and on peer pressure from UK based companies. MoL is not sensitive to peer pressure as such but he IS senistive to commercial peer pressure.

WHBM
2nd Jul 2011, 22:31
Excuse me for pointing out the obvious but HarpicAir (MOL) is not a UK business(man) as the title of this thread suggests ..... the Republic of Ireland is not a British country
Actually I thought the bulk of the ownership of Ryanar is from the USA, led by David Bonderman's Texas Pacific Group (TPG), who is the real finance broker behind the scenes (apart from being the Ryanair Chairman). It's really just an offshore US investment in a flag-of-convenience EU country whose Aviation Authority doesn't look too hard at things.