PDA

View Full Version : ATPLs at Distance - Advice please

Dipole
28th Jun 2011, 12:02
Hi,

I'm currently into my third month of ATPLs at distance. I'm feeling as though I'm not making as much progess as I would like. I have the online progress tests done for 4 of the subjects.

I'm finding it slow doing the revision over the material I've already covered as a lot of it is forgotten.

I'd love to know any advice you'd give me! Where should I be at at this stage? How did you find it? How did you motivate yourself? Did you find yourself at my stage just thinking 'I can't wait for this time next year and they'll be over!'?

Thanks for an advice given! It's tough as I don't know anyone doing the exams and my school don't keep in touch at all to see I'm getting on O.K.... I'm sure it's like that for a lot of them...

James78Au
28th Jun 2011, 16:57
Im in the process of trying to decide if I should do full time ground school or by distance. If I decide full time I have to leave my family and quite my job for 6 months or more and wonder where my next pay check is coming from, although Im sure il get more out of it by doing it full time. decisions decisons... and Yes im looking forward to this time next year where I should be done hopfuly

The500man
28th Jun 2011, 18:12
Where are you studying? If it makes you feel any better I started DL in January with London Met, and decided to hold off on exams until the new syllabus versions were available (to avoid resits), but the revision week I was aiming for was cancelled and now with the summer holidays it means it will be September for the revision week and October for the exams! I've been told it isn't an issue though due to the 18 months available starting from the date of the first exam.

I know what you mean about no one seeming to check your progress, but chances are it means you are doing okay as someone will be checking the progress tests as you complete them (even the online ones).

At the moment I'm using Keith Williams ATPL Question Bank with Explanations CD-ROM from Pooleys to resolve some of the things I didn't get from the text books. It seems many ATPL students bang on about online question banks, but what you really need to understand the subjects are explanations to the questions that you can't answer correctly. The CD-ROM is proving to be quite useful for this.

Hang in there. Once it's done, it's done!

Graham@IDC
28th Jun 2011, 18:58
Dipole,

I know exactly how you feel. I remember feeling the same at your stage. it feels like you have a mountain to climb and no way in the world of remembring all that stuff.

But as you go through it bits from different subjects start to interconnect and it gradually starts to make sense.

To remember stuff you absolutely MUST make written notes as you go along. There's something about the physical act of writing that helps to commit things to memory.

it's also very important to go back over topics you've already covered. Make sure to build some time into your programme to do this. Don't expect to remember, for example, all your Air Law if you finish that subject and then devote all your time to the next.

Finally make sure your work programme is realistic. If you set yourself huge unrealistic targets for the amount of time you plan to work each day you will only become disheartened.

If you're working full time then plan on maybe just 2hrs a night during week days and perhaps 5-6 hours a day for the weekends.

Good luck and keep at it!

CAT3C AUTOLAND
28th Jun 2011, 21:38
Chaps,

Motivation is key here and Graham has given some good information. Structure to your study is key to getting through the exams.

One of the problems with this course of study is it takes a tremendous amount of commitment and discipline to be able to study and apply what you have learned to getting through the exams on the first attempt. Of course you have a number of tools available to you and you must use them wisely.

One problem that most people have, is having to put life on hold for 6 months, a year, 18 months is difficult for anyone. If you are full time, you are flat out for 6 months, if you are DL, then most of your free time is spent with your head in the books and your time with your family and friends suffers.

I do not have experience of DL, as I did my ground school full time. James, I would, if you can do ground school full time. Spend 6 months really giving it 110% and get the exams done and out the way. I know it will be tough being away from you job and family, but at least it gets done. I put my life on hold for 6 months and had a program which I stuck to and it worked. Another great thing about doing this, is you are in amongst a bunch of guys and girls who are all in the same boat, and find you will form a supportive bond between you all and you all help each other to get through. I found this atmosphere to be really helpful. Of course, doing full time ground school does not suit everyone, but its worth some consideration.

Dipole, I agree with Graham with certain issues and your study technique is the key to your success. Remembering all that information is a tall order for most people. Try and work through the manuals and make key notes on each subject along the way. Condense these notes and it will give you something to refer to in a more manageable format. Once you have completed your studies, you can then attend your 2 week brush course and the instructors will then give you the tools to hone your knowledge for the exam technique.

The stages of your training from PPL, hour building, ATPL ground school, CPL, IR and MCC and going onto Jet conversion training have their own hurdles to over come. However, if you stick with it, motivate yourself and put the work in, it will all fall into place and its a great feeling when it does :ok:.

All the best guys.

Dipole
30th Jun 2011, 15:35
Thanks for the replies guys! Much appreciated. Good to know it's not only me that finds it as demanding. It's no walk in the park. I remember when I took my driving test I used to think if all those thousands of people driving everyday can do it so can I. I'll have to think the same as regards flying with a bit of luck thrown in!

Cheers again!