PDA

View Full Version : Rerouting of email messages

Chuchinchow
27th Jun 2011, 12:23
I would like to automatically reroute my incoming email from my desk top computer to my cell phone. FWIW, the desk top computer uses Windows 7 and IE8. The phone uses Android software and Gmail.

Is this technically possible? If so, would some kind soul tell me how to do it, please?

Thanks in advance.

BOAC
27th Jun 2011, 13:11
Which email system, and does it have web access, and if so can you forward your emails?

Mike-Bracknell
27th Jun 2011, 15:26
To cut off the inevitable torrent of conflicting advice, the basic reply is:

- yes it's possible
- yes it depends upon what your email service is (as you generally don't want to receive them on your computer THEN forward them to your phone, but you'd like to receive a copy on each device)

So, the 3 questions you need to answer are:

1) is your mailserver running POP or IMAP?
2) what's the part to the right of the @ sign in your email address?
3) do you use Gmail on your desktop?

EDIT: Not that BOAC's questions weren't valid - we just need some info from you before suggesting (but I predict some people will try to reply with their experiences without knowing your circumstances).

mixture
27th Jun 2011, 15:58
3) do you use Gmail on your desktop?

eeeew.......

Encouraging hacky methods requiring a desktop computer in the loop .... :=

Server side or nothing I say.

Other than that, Mike is along the right lines with his interrogation. :E

Mike-Bracknell
27th Jun 2011, 17:07
eeeew.......

Encouraging hacky methods requiring a desktop computer in the loop .... :=

Server side or nothing I say.

Other than that, Mike is along the right lines with his interrogation. :E

Server side or nothing I say too. I was simply trying to ascertain whether the OP was expecting a 3rd party web-based service to deliver his mail.

Oh, and on a semi-related note, Microsoft has finally fixed my 0x8004010F error with Outlook clients - the IIS virtual pools needed regenerating with respect to serving out the OAB virtual directory via autoconfigure :ok:

mixture
27th Jun 2011, 19:21
Aaah.... good old Microsloth Sexchange

Chuchinchow
27th Jun 2011, 23:51
My nine year-old grandson came in to my study, saw this thread and witheringly told me that there was an Android app that would solve my problem.

Please accept my blushes - and my thanks for all your ideas and suggestions.