PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice on career change

marmikvyas
27th Jun 2011, 11:47
Hiya,
Am not sure if this is the right section for my post. So if it isn't, please direct me there.
I am currently a marketing professional, 34 years of age and bored out of my wits.
Ever since i started sailing around 16 years back, i have been itching to have a career shift to flying.
For starters, have gotten back to gliding here in Sydney but am seriously thinking of pursuing a commercial pilot license hopefully by the time i turn 40yrs.

I know that the avg. age of the class would be barely 20, however, i am seeking advice on the career prospects that i might have in commercial flying at my age when i get a license i.e. 40yrs.

Would love to hear from you guys.

Thanks in advance.

welliewanger
27th Jun 2011, 13:14
This question has been asked many times before. Flight training is a catch 22 situation; when you're young enough to do it, you can't afford it. When you can afford it you're deemed "too old" Here's a quick non-sugar-coated precis of the answers people have given:

- The older you are the harder it is to learn (old dogs, new tricks etc.) This drives up your training costs. (Almost) anyone can learn to fly, it just depends on how long they can afford to train for.
Unfortunately the airlines are well aware of this, so, even before they've read your fantastic CV, you're at a disadvantage.

- You'll have less time to progress within the career to earn good money (but that's the same with all career changes)

- If you accept that you might never get to fly the big iron, you could have a very rewarding career on smaller stuff or instructing. But this is financially futile.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who have done it and went on to earn mega-bucks. But I understand that the accepted wisdom is what I've written above.