PDA

View Full Version : 2.5" IDE to SATA converter/dock

Wiley
27th Jun 2011, 04:52
My Dell Inspiron 6000 has finally given up the ghost and won't start, so I've accepted it has to go. It has a Western Digital WD1600BEVE 160gb 'Enhanced'IDE (EIDE) HD (with data on it I'd like to recover).

Which leads me to my problem. I suspect the 'E' in the EIDE is a Dell-specific thing, because the connector isn't a standard IDE two row male/female thing, but a 21 pin double sided male spade arrangement, which of course, won't take a standard IDE connector.

I've called Dell and they say there are third party EIDE/SATA connectors available, but can't tell me where to find them or, more importantly, what to call them.

Does anyone have any ideas of where to find such a connector (or an EIDE to IDE would do) and what to call it?

A second question: the problem with the old Inspiron is that on start up, I get a black screen with the flashing cursor at the top left. I suspect its a CPU problem. Does anyone else have a better idea?

Saab Dastard
27th Jun 2011, 07:44
Most laptop manufacturers put the hard disk into a proprietary "caddy" for insertion into the laptop. The disk itself is standard. There's usually a few screws attaching the caddy to the disk.

SD

ZH875
27th Jun 2011, 08:18
A large shop has this (http://www.maplin.co.uk/2.5inch-to-3.5inch-hard-drive-adaptor-36945) which may help you

Mike-Bracknell
27th Jun 2011, 08:38
The double-sided male spade attachment comes off the drive and you'll find the 2 rows of PATA pins behind it. :ok:

This is the same for all PATA Dells.

Unlike the sodding Samsung I saw on Friday - it had a ribbon connector glued onto the drive - so you're likely to knacker it swapping the drive for a new one. :=

p.s. - flashing cursor (underbar?) in top left of Dell is usually a "looking for hard disk".

mixture
27th Jun 2011, 16:09
suspect the 'E' in the EIDE is a Dell-specific thing

Just wanted to say....

There's this wonderful thing that's been around since 1990 called Google.

Just typing "EIDE" into the search box would have demonstrated your suspicions to be unfounded.

Wiley
28th Jun 2011, 01:18
Thank you Mike Bracknell.

Fixed.