PDA

View Full Version : Oxford

A.jg
27th Jun 2011, 01:46
hello everybody,

I have just got my license in Spain and I thought it could be advantageous to perform the flight instructor rating in Oxford. I have paid the book already. I heared Oxford is one of the best flight schools in Europe and I was really excited with this idea, even more knowing that this academy has agreements with Ryanair and other companies. I know one who did the FI and now he got hire in Ryanair.

But now, the trouble comes when my father, who is living in Brasil, talked with one guy who has something in relation with corporate flights who sais he could hire me. I looked for on internet and it seems like engine piston corporate flights. And my father thinks is the best thing I could do.

He is convinced that I have to do 1000 h. He is true, I need to perform as much as flight hours I could do, but I think it is better to perform de FI rating and try to get hire in any company or try to work in England, and if not, go there to work... I think having more courses or ratings o whatever is better in your CV but my father doesn't.

I think this move will define half of my life and I am really scared.

What do you think?

Kind regards

Seabreeze
27th Jun 2011, 07:43
If you get a job offer flying twins; grab it with both hands, and go fly for a couple of thousand hours. After that if you want to be an instructor at least you will be able to tell your students about what it is like to fly commercially. After that an airline job should appear somewhere.

There are no guarantees you will get a job as an instructor in Europe even if you do the Oxford course, and if you do it will be mostly flying in the right seat of C152s in the circuit area all day.

paco
27th Jun 2011, 09:05
Your father is right!!!!!

ADB25
27th Jun 2011, 09:13
Most of Oxford flight training school is full of yuppies. :suspect:

rmcb
27th Jun 2011, 10:33
Go west, young man! Paco is correct. As is Seabreeze. As is Adb25.

However, should you choose to go to Oxford, please will you forward the contact details for Brasil to me?:)

Thread closed?

stuckgear
27th Jun 2011, 10:56
concur, your father is right ! get your ass off down there, if you dont others will.

Black Pudding
27th Jun 2011, 12:13
Your father is giving you wise advice. Listen to him

Jerry Lee
27th Jun 2011, 15:41
Your father is absolutely right!

But now, the trouble comes when my father, who is living in Brasil, talked with one guy who has something in relation with corporate flights who sais he could hire me. I looked for on internet and it seems like engine piston corporate flights. And my father thinks is the best thing I could do.Trouble? Where's the trouble??? You are a lucky guy!!! Don't you know how many wannabes would like to have the possibility to get employed with a connection like this one??? Go there and work, make you own experience there and then look onward.

You say you'd like to work in England, but let me say that you, as a pilot, can't choose where to work, especially nowadays.

Go in Brasil and fly!

A.jg
27th Jun 2011, 15:56
Really thanks all,

It is true that nowadays people with low experience can not choose where to work or where to live.

I now that my father is right. I will see whats going on in the following weeks, and if I could go to Brazil, I will.

737-NG
28th Jun 2011, 09:47
Fathers know best. Go fly!

rmcb
28th Jun 2011, 10:10
I will see whats going on in the following weeks

That includes sorting out a visa, booking a flight and packing your toothbrush and hopefully getting a refund from Oxford; what else is there to see?

A stunning opportunity and good luck - I'm sure I speak on the behalf of a load of PPRuNers.

737-NG
28th Jun 2011, 11:18
Right besides aviation in Brazil is booming and salaries more than decent!

captainsuperstorm
29th Jun 2011, 09:56
go to oxford wear uniform! and give me the name and contact you have in brazil!
I want make real money!