PDA

View Full Version : USA/Canada Flight Schools

ElSupremo
26th Jun 2011, 18:37
So I've done a little research and it seems a lot cheaper to train to be a commerical pilot (either JAA or FAA) in N. America than in the UK. For example, in the UK it seems to cost £50,000+ for someone with zero hours whereas across the pond it costs around £20,000-£30,000. Is there a reason for the massive price difference?

Which are the best schools (including Canada) and which are the ones to avoid?

paco
27th Jun 2011, 05:20
Try harv's air service in Steinbach Manitoba (Harv's Air Pilot Training, Flight Training School » Learn to Fly! (http://www.harvsair.com))

B2N2
28th Jun 2011, 14:51
across the pond it costs around £20,000-£30,000. Is there a reason for the massive price difference?

Be carefull, some of the schools in question are...how shall we put it...somewhat forgetfull in mentioning all of the expenses.:E
Hence the use of the word "hidden" cost.
Don't just simply stare at the price, analyze the packages they offer.
You may be able to get an instrument rating in a C150/C152 but flying around with just one radio and VOR will not do wonders for your skills if you are looking to go career.
The equipment becomes important.

The more serious schools in the US can get you a combined FAA & JAA, so fully US and European certified for 70K Euro.
For the price of what training in Europe would cost you, you get both sets of ratings/certificates.

GAZ45
28th Jun 2011, 20:44
As others have said, there's usually alot of hidden extras, but it certainly is cheaper to train in the US for the individual course price.

Im training modular and I trained for my PPL in the US. The price tag was very very cheap compared to UK schools, but when I actually total everything up (living costs, visa, flights, hidden school extras etc.) it probably worked out only hundreds of pounds cheaper to do it in the US.

Having said that the only reason I trained there was to get the PPL done in 4 weeks. UK weather isnt so reliable and it'd probably take you more like 5 months.

Personally I want to complete the rest of my training in the UK. It is more expensive but I dont think completing all of your training in the US then deciding to look for a job in Europe with no experience in European airspace is a particularly good idea... just a thought, I may be wrong...