PDA

View Full Version : Failed Upgrade XP SP2 to SP3, etc.

seacue
26th Jun 2011, 14:35
Upgrading XP SP2 to XP SP3 fails. It claims that is can't write Beethoven's Symphony #9 WMA and then hangs. I have to cancel the upgrade.

I've also tried re-installing XP SP2 from the CD which came with the PC. It claims that it can't write the same WMA file, as well as a few files which I think are desktop background images. At least the SP2 installation allows me to skip these steps and it runs to completion.

Looking at a working XP SP3 on another computer, I have found that the Beethoven WMA file is in \Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music\.... I find that this is a Read-Only directory on the SP2 machine (which I can't upgrade). I haven't tried an SP3 upgrade after removing the Read Only status.

I'd greatly appreciate some insight / suggestions. And, yes, I want to stick with XP.

Thanks,

bob / seacue

green granite
26th Jun 2011, 15:17
Why not delete the wma file, do the upgrade and then re-install it from the other M/C? Although I'm at a total loss as to why sp3 wants to upgrade a wma file.

Slasher
26th Jun 2011, 15:46
I tried going to XP3 and had exactly the same problem. I
deleted that bloody useless wma file but it didn't do zip.

Forget XP3. Your puter will keep working just fine with XP2.

vulcanised
26th Jun 2011, 16:43
I have SP3 stored on my external disk for the day when I might think of installing it.

That day has just receded further into the future. Thanks for the warning.

seacue
28th Jun 2011, 09:22
Thank you all for the suggestions so far. Are there no more suggestions?

BOAC
28th Jun 2011, 10:23
Are we to assume, therefore, that you have read and tried #4 and it failed?

seacue
2nd Jul 2011, 11:47
Time has come when no critical computer activities are in progress so I again tried to install SP3 - using the hint given by SoCal Ap in message #4. This time the upgrade appears to have gone fine. Thank you SoCal.