PDA

View Full Version : Nay-sayers' challenge

Ken Borough
26th Jun 2011, 05:44
Here's a novel idea: as there's so much negativity posted here and elsewhere about Qantas and its management, is anyone able to post anything positive? If so, don't bottle it up, and let's read about it! :ok:

fender
26th Jun 2011, 05:54
I'll start..
I'm positive Qantas management are A**Holes

ampclamp
26th Jun 2011, 05:54
You are correct it is a challenge. I get paid on time , the super scheme is good and I like the people I work with. I enjoy what I do most of the time.

another superlame
26th Jun 2011, 06:16
I love my job,and staff travel/interline travel does OK as well.

ejectx3
26th Jun 2011, 06:24
I love flying the 737 and I fly with great people.

Capt Kremin
26th Jun 2011, 06:59
I enjoy flying for Qantas DESPITE the senior management.

Massey058
26th Jun 2011, 07:31
Last time I flew them they had a really good butter chicken.

Oh wait that wasn't Qantas it was JetConnect.

rodchucker
26th Jun 2011, 07:32
I look forward to the day when I read something said or done by the Execs of this company that don't make me feel seriously outraged.

OR

A press release is about to be issued that there are mass sackings in the Exec ranks and Board.

Lean Sigma
26th Jun 2011, 07:39
I like how our :zzz: Ops managers :zzz: provide a value added service. :zzz:

Ultergra
26th Jun 2011, 07:53
I get to fly with some pretty good blokes. Beer in every port is cold. The bus is a super machine. I have never laughed so hard on the flight deck as the times where we watch China S*uthern fly straight into cells that we are 50 miles L/R of track for.
I love my job because it is what I have strived to do for the better part of my entire life. Its awesome to achieve what I have always dreamed of doing, and I hope to continue for another 30 years.

ejectx3
26th Jun 2011, 07:54
I'm positive I'm awesome at landings :O

Gas Bags
26th Jun 2011, 08:27
Heres another novel idea, as Ken said, in light of the intense negative QF threads/postings.

In the past I personally have had a manager that I would walk over hot coals for.

Are they all that bad at QF.....really?

Do any of you QF guys/gals have a manager that you think is good at what they do?

If so post here.

GB

blueloo
26th Jun 2011, 08:38
Our manager is that little golden nugget of corn, in a steaming pile of poo.

...and trust me....that is about as positive as I can get! :ok:

Angle of Attack
26th Jun 2011, 08:50
I heard they are good if you get a major injury or sickness that knocks you out for a few months or maybe more.

Bypass ratio
26th Jun 2011, 10:07
I always enjoy havin' a few pints with the 380 guys at Chijmes in Singapore. Maybe it's the EK hosties that attracts...lol:O

buttmonkey1
26th Jun 2011, 10:38
the free earmuffs are great,
i find they provide some respite.
combine that with darkglasses and
not reading their emails or printed ****e
and it's not a bad place to work.

stubby jumbo
26th Jun 2011, 10:48
1.THEY....Pay people what they’re worth, not what you can get away with. What you lose in allowances you gain back several-fold in performance bonus'.

2.QF......Take the time to share their experiences and insights. Labels like mentor and coach are never overused. Let’s be specific here. Employees learn from those generous enough to share their experiences and insights. They don’t need a best friend or a shoulder to cry on -we have management.

3. QF Management....Tell it to employees straight, even when it’s bad news. To me, the single most important thing any QF boss can do is to man up and tell it to people straight. No BS, no sugarcoating, especially when it’s bad news or corrective feedback.

3.QF....manage up … effectively. Good QF bosses keep management off employee’s backs. Most people don’t get this, but the most important aspect of that is giving management what they need to do their jobs. That’s what keeps management away.

3.QF Management.... Take the heat and share the praise. It takes courage to take the heat and humility to share the praise. That comes naturally to great bosses like AJ; the rest of us have to pick it up as we go.

3.QF.......Delegate responsibility, not tasks. Every QF boss delegates, but the crappy ones think that means dumping tasks they hate on workers, i.e. s**t rolls downhill. QF bosses delegate responsibility and hold people accountable. That’s fulfilling and fosters professional growth.

4. QF encourage employees to hone their natural abilities and challenge them to overcome their issues. That’s called getting people to perform at their best.

5, QF Build team spirit. As we learned before, great groups outperform great individuals. And great leaders build great teams. Hey -just take a look at the latest engagement scores.:D

6. QF ...treat employees the way they deserve to be treated. You always hear people say they deserve respect and to be treated as equals. Well, some may not want to hear this, but a) respect must be earned, and b) most workers are not their boss’s equals. QF rock:)

5. QF .....inspire their people. They motivate people, but few bosses have the ability to truly inspire their employees. How? By sharing their passion for the business. By knowing just what to say and do at just the right time to take the edge off or turn a tough situation around. Genuine anecdotes help a lot. So does a good sense of humour.

FKCU:yuk::yuk::yuk:

WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED TO ME!!!!

TOO MANY GLASSES OF GRAMPS CABERNET MERLOT & SUDAFED !!!

Qantas are the biggest bunch of a___holes I have ever had the displeasure of working for.

Its war,.... don't get mad get even.....:8

Apologies for the brain snap Ppruners.....back in your box Ken , Mc CLown.I'm not a convert.....yet !@!

standard unit
26th Jun 2011, 11:58
TOO MANY GLASSES OF GRAMPS CABERNET MERLOT & SUDAFED !!!

Sudafed??

Had trouble like the rest of us doing your, "DAMP" course ?? :=:)

You know, the online one that proves the QF IT adage, " yesterday's technology, tomorrow..................maybe".

Sonny Hammond
26th Jun 2011, 12:49
I positively am hugely grateful for the pi$$poor experience I had as an employee at the place.
I appreciate that QF management were able to show me how it isn't done in so many ways, so much so, that now nothing really surprises me at all, and as my expectations are so low, I am really easy to please and my engagement in my career is again very high.

Thank you QF, thank you very much.

Cactusjack
26th Jun 2011, 23:16
I love Olivia's hair, I think Alan is a really great leader, and ultimately Jetstar will create even more job opportunities for global pilots, a win win all round :ok:

empacher48
26th Jun 2011, 23:47
I like the fact that I can pay for my interview, then pay for my own cadet scheme and can pay for my own type rating and can fly a fancy new Airbus within 18 months of leaving high school!

I like it how I can call myself a Qantas pilot and I get paid $1.75 an hour!

I like the uniform, I wear it even when I'm not at work. It suits me when I mop the floor at McDonalds so I can save up to buy my first car!

I like going to work 6 days a week and not spending much time at home.

I like the fact those pretend Qantas pilots fly Boeings think I am so awesome and they wish they had the job I do!

Worrals in the wilds
27th Jun 2011, 01:33
Qantas has thousands of dedicated, hard working staff who care about the airline and go to work and do the best they can.

Qantas repays them by treating them with constant disdain, bagging them out in the press and threatening them with off shoring, job cuts and petty management BS as often as it possibly can.

max1
27th Jun 2011, 06:14
Ken Borough would you mind telling me what the entity that is 'Qantas' means to you?
You seem to believe here, and on the Crikey blog, that to save 'Qantas' that it must be taken offshore crewed by 'cheaper' foreign pilots and FAs and the fleet maintained by third party contractors.
By doing this you think we will have then saved Qantas.
Am I missing something here?

nitpicker330
27th Jun 2011, 07:06
What is this cheaper Asian mentality anyway?

If you compare CX to QF then:-

They pay their Pilots roughly the same
They pay the same Fuel prices
They pay this same Air Nav charges
They pay the same Landing fees
They probably pay similar insurance fees
Their leasing costs would be similar
They pay the same for Catering worldwide
They pay their Australian and Hong Kong ground staff the same.
They get revenue in the same basket of currencies

Ok, so maybe the Engineering costs are a little cheaper in HK

So CX is expanding, 95 new aircraft on order and we make a nice profit nearly every year. You don't see CX managers bleeting on about "the end of the world is coming......."

If you did employ cheap slave labour for Pilots and Cabin crew you mean to tell me that would make the difference and save QF from going down the toilet?? I very much doubt that it would make much difference to the bottom line.

I suggest you outsource your management, we at Cathay Pacific would love to run QF, I'm sure it would do quite nicely.:ok:

Ken Borough
27th Jun 2011, 07:10
You seem to believe here, and on the Crikey blog, that to save 'Qantas' that it must be taken offshore crewed by 'cheaper' foreign pilots and FAs and the fleet maintained by third party contractors.

Am I missing something here?

As to the first quote, I've nver posted any such thing. You have totally misrepresented my views. My Solicitors' letter is on its way!

As for the second, the answer is simply 'Yes'.

gobbledock
27th Jun 2011, 11:08
My Solicitors' letter is on its way!
Ha ! Another one of Ken's deluded fantasies. Better get your solicitor to chase me as well Ken, you complete nimrod.

King William III
27th Jun 2011, 11:59
I like Qantas' never ending generosity…….

Whaaaa?

Well, they are about to give lots and lots of highly trained professionals a nice big financial bonus and the opportunity to develop a whole new career at Virgin Australia…………….

…...The NEW Spirit Of Australia…………

…see, aren't they nice……...

KABOY
27th Jun 2011, 12:01
They pay their Australian and Hong Kong ground staff the same.

Not even close I am afraid, baggage handlers, transit engineers, check-in staff are on vastly different incomes.

Next time your on transit in HKG ask them how much they get paid a month then ask an Australian baggage handler how much he gets paid. Better still, ask the driver of the tug how much he is paid, then ask the QF tug driver not the Menzies tug driver!

Years of industrial demarcation has created vastly inflated payscales for jobs that don't warrant it.

hcmcmcclown
27th Jun 2011, 13:20
What I like is that most of you guys spent years doing the hard yards in the bush flying rubber dog**** and miners around godforsaken parts of the country, working your way up the career ladder and finally after many many years of low wages, long hours, and crappy jobs you finally make it to the big one....You land a flying gig at Qantas!!!

Now you are there all you can do is convince yourselves and anyone else who will listen what a horrible company it is and how terrible it is working there.

Newsflash*************It aint going to get any better than what you have!!!! Why not start concentrating on the positives and stop lapping up the BS that comes from the likes of Sunfish and others.

Cafe Sua Da anyone?

ejectx3
27th Jun 2011, 13:42
Because brainstrust it's all about to get taken away from us. That's the point.

cart_elevator
27th Jun 2011, 15:38
What I love about working for Qantas:

The pilots/fa's I work with,and the fun we still have.
The pride I get out of providing a fanatstic 'Aussie' service,and the fun we have with the pax doing it.
The great pilots who say things along the line of "we know you have been inconvenienced,but it is not the cabin crews fault,so please dont take it out on them"
The many,many,pax who say "It's so great to finally hear an Aussie accent" when they get on the plane in an overseas port.
Managing to sneak to the briefing without having to talk to/see any of the Cabin Crew 'Management Team':mad:
Having a great CSM/CSS who is so interested in how happy the pax are, and also how happy the crew are.
Seeing the middle management 'rot' shake in their boots every time there is a talk of making them redundant. :ok:

brown_hornet
27th Jun 2011, 16:18
Our manager is that little golden nugget of corn, in a steaming pile of poo.

Boy he gets around then. This morning he was in Australia and tonight he's in Singapore. Wonder if he'll follow me to London:O

SpannerTwister
28th Jun 2011, 00:02
Things I like about working at Qantas ...............

99% of the staff on the "same rung of the corporate ladder" as myself are great people to work with.

That's 99% of pilots, hosties, engineers, bag-chuckers, caterers, terminal staff................

Pity about the management !

ST

simsalabim
28th Jun 2011, 00:45
Doing a good job .......despite the a%*hole management...not because of them.

position & hold
28th Jun 2011, 02:40
I really look forward to coming to work at QF lately, flying with great people and laughing at the lack of resources/staff to get people where they're going. But then again, i've only got a couple of months until I resign. Light at the end of the tunnel and all that... :}

teresa green
28th Jun 2011, 03:22
I love the way QF every four years almost to the day, fires anyone who any good. Then they replace them with people who have not a clue. They (QF) are almost like lemmings, in this practice. Unfortunately it never involves the people at the top. But I can be grateful for the time spent at QF as the oldest S/O ever I am sure, the good blokes I met and have remained friends with still, the QF pilots acceptance of a 89er, (not a S$#b) the enjoyable flying, and the job allowing myself and my family to at last, come home. For that reason I will fight against the people who are trying to destroy this great airline, and so will thousands of others. We will NOT be defeated.:D

sani-com
28th Jun 2011, 04:45
I love turning up to work and hearing more stories of management's and various department's bunglings and stuff-ups :ugh::rolleyes:. It never ceases to amaze me.

max1
28th Jun 2011, 07:23
My Solicitors' letter is on its way!
If it's a fight you want , I'll bring out the big guns. I'll get Dennis De Nuto.

Seriously Ken, what does the entity that is Qantas embody to you?

simsalabim
28th Jun 2011, 07:32
It's the vibe.

There is not one of us here who would not gladly suffer death to rid this country of the Romans once and for all. Uhh. Well, one. Oh, yeah. Yeah, there's one, but otherwise, we're solid.

Massey058
28th Jun 2011, 08:20
Seriously Ken, what does the entity that is Qantas embody to you?

Actually I'd be quite interested to know that too. I'm often flabbergasted at some of his comments and assertions.

I work for a far smaller company in another country but have in the past flown Qantas (never in my life have I ever or will ever pay my own money to fly JetStar). I have completely given up on Qantas because I am so disappointed in what the airline is becoming and the reality of the offering doesn't live up to the message of the brand that they are pushing.

From a passenger perspective and someone who is willing to pay for good service it is sad to see what Qantas is becoming. And I know that I am certainly not the only customer who feels like that. I represent a section of Qantas' market that they are wantonly throwing away.

I will never buy into the ridiculous justifications for the current and future state of affairs under their current management.

I truly hope things change for the better as both self-loading freight and a pilot.

adsyj
28th Jun 2011, 08:34
I contend Kens opinion is irrelevant. I am absolutely sure he doesn't work for Qantas in any capacity.

He irritated me so much I had a look at his posting history, and lo and behold what do I find. Our Ken the expert asking how to tune his scanner to listen to aircraft.

Onya Ken:yuk:

hcmcmcclown
28th Jun 2011, 08:37
I like wantons too. In fact I have the best wantons in the world. You should try my shrimp wantons. Matter of fact come on down to my place and have a wanton feast. Best in the world I tell ya!

Cafe Sua Da anyone?

Captain Dart
28th Jun 2011, 23:12
Yes, I'll have one.

Then I'll add you to my 'ignore' list.