PDA

View Full Version : Inaugural flights and flags displayed

cyflyer
25th Jun 2011, 20:08
I was wondering if there was a standard etiquette or rule for displaying flags on either side of the cockpit windows during inaugural flights. I have some old 1950's photos where you see the BEA flag over the left-side cockpit window and (I think) the destination country's flag over the right-side window, on the ground of course. What was the rule and is still practised today ?

Speedbird48
27th Jun 2011, 01:54
It wasn't just inaugral flights, but every flight. House flag on one side and the country that was being visited on the other. I seem to remember the house flag on the Left??

Later the procedure was dropped and the only flag I saw was the Royal Standard raised through the perisopic sextant housing.

On one memorable occaision, in the South Pacific with a 707 the aircraft had just rolled to halt and the engines shut down when a young F/O playiong navigator suddenly woke up with the famous words " S*** skipper i forgot the F****** flag". Upon which a voice from the other side of the cockpit dooor said "normally refered to as the Royal Standard"!!! The Duke!!

The said F/O went on to a very sucessful career and I believe is now an elder magistrate.

Speedbird 48.