PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

JamBox
24th Jun 2011, 19:40
Hi everyone been reading allot on the site but this is my first post here :)

Im Irish and I am interested flying training in the USA, Canada or SA (not limited to only these places). Not really interested in doing it in Ireland because the cost is just way too high.

I am going to do my Class 1 medical before I take out any large sum of money for training.

My question is do I need to get a Class 1 medical in Ireland or can I get it in any other country?

Also if anyone would like to recommend a good flight school please throw in your two cents :)

Thanks!

redsnail
24th Jun 2011, 20:19
Ok, you'll need to do a fair bit of research on this site.

Firstly, can you work in North America? If not, then you'll have to convert your FAA or Canadian licence to a JAA/EASA one.

Yes, there are some JAA/EASA qualified schools that operate in the US.

How will you fund this? Do you plan to go modular or full time?

Have you researched the "what if?" post training?

Good luck.

I don't know the IAA's requirements but a good feel for what's required for the UK CAA can be found by downloading "LASORs" from the CAA's site.

captainsuperstorm
24th Jun 2011, 20:28
and another futur unemployed pilot!

who's next?

welliewanger
27th Jun 2011, 13:25
If you do an American license you need an American medical.
If you do a European license you need a(n) European medical.
Whichever country's license you do, you need that country's medical. It doesn't matter where you train, it's which license you get that decides which medical you need.

Once you have the license, it allows you to fly that country's aircraft. You (generally) can't fly a European aircraft on an American license and vice versa. If you want to come back to Europe to work after training in the states, you'll probably have to convert the license. Depending on how much experience you have this can take 2-6 months and cost a few thousand pounds.

School recommendations? There are a lot of good schools out there and most of us only have real experience of one or two. It would be easier to find out the bad schools and avoid them. After that find schools which suit your requirement and then see how well set up they are.

Good luck.

zondaracer
27th Jun 2011, 17:33
The UK CAA now accepts other JAA medicals from other countries with a validation letter. The IAA accepts UK CAA medicals.

Generally speaking, flying training isn´t cheap, and if you shop around, you might find it more affordable in other places, but you also get what you pay for. I got burned once trying to save a little bit of money doing flight training.

If you start looking around on this forum, you will see reviews of many different flight schools, things ranging from ¨this place is awesome¨ to ¨I would rather my sister date Joran Vandersloot than send her to this place.¨

Goodluck