PDA

View Full Version : ATPL theory questions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

77Whiskey
3rd Apr 2019, 14:20
DME Distance is slant range, not the ground distance. Please don't confuse that.

77Whiskey
3rd Apr 2019, 14:47
The 1st answer was correct but the 2nd was wrong according to the question bank results
My Bad, You have 188(M) and the variation is 3E. Draw Straight line and write 188 magnetic on top of that now variation is east means right hand side of magnetic (Assume straight line the center and left and right are west and east respectively). So add 3 to 188. The true track will be 191 and you already have the difference between 190 compass and 188 magnetic which is -2 degrees.

I suggest you to always draw on rough sheet

oggers
3rd Apr 2019, 15:42
DME Distance is slant range, not the ground distance. Please don't confuse that.

I know it is slant range. But you didn't read the question which was in effect; 'if the aircraft is at 15 DME from the beacon, how many DME is the aircraft from the beacon?'

If you are having trouble understanding this try substituting the "DME" with "slant range" in the question and see if you get it:

The aircraft flies at FL370, 15 NM [slant range] from the station. [slant range] readout will be?

The answer is still 15 NM, which is the only possible correct answer.

KT1988
7th Apr 2019, 17:49
I am gonna go for the Operational Procedures exam tomorrow and while training in my 3x question banks I met a question of the kind "understand what the examiner thought about when creating it".

So it is: Which of the following needs approval?

Aviation Exam says: anything on the flight deck (but what about the pilots sandwich its also on the flight deck for example or the time piece etc. itd. ) ?

Atpl questions says: child harness used in cabin

Hopefully I wont get such a question but who is correct here? What did the examiner think when making this question anyone have any idea? Because even the question banks are not sure about it.

paco
8th Apr 2019, 06:19
CAT.IDE.A.100 Instruments and equipment — general
(a) Instruments and equipment required by this Subpart shall be approved in accordance with the
applicable airworthiness requirements except for the following items:
(1) Spare fuses;
(2) Independent portable lights;
(3) An accurate time piece;
(4) Chart holder;
(5) First-aid kits;
(6) Emergency medical kit;
(7) Megaphones;
(8) Survival and signalling equipment;
(9) Sea anchors and equipment for mooring; and
(10) Child restraint devices.

richie-rich
8th Apr 2019, 13:52
Hi All,

I have seen that the same question has been posted earlier and it's still in the IR-OPS exam in South Africa. Wondering if someone can help with the below:

Total distance A to B 2000 nm TAS, Wind and endurance constant 5000kg fuel +500kg + reserve fuel which is assumed not to be used for the flight. PET from A 1200 nm What is the distance to the PNR/PSR?

Answer is 1320nm.

How did they get to this?
Thanks and happy flying.

R

RHSandLovingIt
9th Apr 2019, 00:35
If you don't get the TAS/Wind etc... you can use the ETP equation to work out the necessary groundspeeds (Home and Out) etc... then use those figures to work out the PNR time etc...

ETP: https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/File:ETP.png

distance to ETP = (total dist * GS Home) / (GS Home + GS Out)
=> 1200 = 2000 * (H/(H+O))
=> 1200 / 2000 = H / (H+O)
=> 0.6 = H / (H+O)
=> H = 0.6 (H+O)

From here we can deduce that the value of H is 0.6 or 60% of the value of H+O... simply substitute a value for H to work out O...
ie. assume H = 1000
=> (1000+O) = 1000 / 0.60
=> 1000+O = ~1667
=> O = 1667 - 1000
=> O = 667

So, our Groundspeed home to A would be 1000 (tailwind)... and GS to B = 667 (hence why ETP is closer to B)

As per: https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Point_of_No_Return_(PNR)

To calculate the time to PNR, you need to know endurance (in hours), GS Home and GS Out.. Looks like we have elected to take 5000kg fuel... + contingency of 500kg... which is 5000/500 = 10% contingency...

Without an actual fuel burn or endurance figure, I would assume that the 5000kg fuel would have been taken based on our estimated travel time at calculated GS "out", so our basic endurance therefore equates to = 2000 dist / 667 GS out = 3 hrs... then we need to add the 10% due to contingency to get final "safe" endurance => 3.3 hours...

Time to PNR = (Endurance in Hours * GS Home) / (GS Home + GS Out)
=> 3.3 * 1000 / 1667
=> ~1.98

So... 1.98 hrs to PNR * 667 GS out => ~1320 nm

NOTE: I'm not sure that is the "correct" or most efficient way to go about getting from a stated distance, fuel load and PET to the PNR but it seems to work. Was there a fuel burn figure or endurance figure actually given?

richie-rich
10th Apr 2019, 15:07
Hi there RHSandLovingIt,

Much appreciate your way of solving it.

In a nutshell, its:

1- Find Distance to ETP
2 - Fond GSO and GSH
3- Time to PNR = ( Endurance in hrs * GS Home ) / GS Home + GS Out
4. Time to PNR * GS Out = Answer.

You are correct - I wonder what is the reason behind such questions but as one of the previous posters have said, some of the things that come up really make you scratch your head for the IR Ops exam.

Thanks once again.

lukey5162
25th Apr 2019, 06:41
G'day
Can anyone help in regards to a question I don't understand.
The question is, Is it possible for TAS to be greater than ISA at mean sea level.

The book has yes as the correct answer but does not explain why.

Can anyone explain why this is the case.

Thanks.

keith williams
25th Apr 2019, 15:12
Blocked Pilot Probe, leaking or disconnected Pitot feed to IAS are all possible causes.

hvogt
25th Apr 2019, 19:10
Neglecting position and instrument error (IAS/CAS) and compressibility (CAS/EAS), the ratio of IAS and TAS is determined by density. If actual air density is below ISA MSL density, TAS will be greater than IAS.

FM_A320
28th Apr 2019, 22:02
Hello everybody, I’d like to ask your help regarding this meterology question. Honestly I can’t figure out the answer.

during the summer a warm occlusion is approaching the east coast of the united kingdom. what weather pattern would you expect in the north sea?

A) medium level 3 to 8 oktas clouds, isolated showers
B) high level CI clouds
C)TSs, CBs, showers
D)Low level ST clouds

correct D.

Honestly I choose A, as my idea was embedded CBs can give showers while the characteristics of a warm front are cloudy sky.
I found good also B, as a typical sign of warm front approaching could be CIs.
Any help to understand this question?

thanks

paco
29th Apr 2019, 06:00
A warm occlusion has similar weather to a warm front

jay34
19th May 2019, 17:31
I'm studying for my upcoming flight performance and planning exam and I'm doing practice questions on PPLtutor and a question has come up that I just can't get my head around it.

Q: Before refuelling, an aeroplane has a weight of 1850 lb and the total moments are 153000 in.lb aft of the datum. Fuel weight equalling 520 lb with an effective arm of 9 ft aft of datum is then loaded. what is the new GC of the aeroplane.

I'd calculate as follows by making a table and the formula mass x arm = moment:
Aeroplane weight: 1850 82.70 1530000
Fuel Weight: 520 9 4680.
Total 2370 157680
New GC: 157680/2370 = 66.53.

However, this is not the answer.I looked at the solution this is what the answer was:
Aeroplane weight: 1850 82.70 1530000
Fuel Weight: 520 108 56160.
Total 2370 209160
New GC: 209160/2370 = 88.25.

Can anyone explain where the value of 108 Came from for the fuel weight ARM?

keith williams
19th May 2019, 20:20
The total moment is given in inch lbs , so you must convert the 9 feet into inches.

​​​​​​​9 feet is 108 inches.

RHSandLovingIt
19th May 2019, 23:41
In any question where they start throwing lots of numbers and "mixed" units at you... make sure you have the units (and converted values) correct. I've seen questions using kg, lbs, inches and cms before! :ugh:

It doesn't get much better in real life either... Every day at work I get fuel delivered in litres while the aircraft systems and all the planning is in kgs :P Still, it's better than my last job where I had to do manual mass&balance of pax/cargo in kgs, fuel in litres, while the aircraft systems and manuals were all in lbs! :{ :mad: :ouch:

jay34
22nd May 2019, 16:49
The total moment is given in inch lbs , so you must convert the 9 feet into inches.

9 feet is 108 inches.

great thanks for the help :) to check all the units!!

captainarjun
30th May 2019, 14:14
The Oxford ATPL books have two different answers to the same questions.
The EASA FIRST EDITION REVISED FORNPA 29 states option D to be the right answer, wheras the previous editions show option B as the answer.
What exactly is the right answer??
PLEASE NEED HELP!

An aircraft is attempting to use an ILS approach outside the coverage sectors of an ICAO standard system:
a. from the glide slope needle the captain may be receiving false course and reverse sense indications and from the localizer needle intermittent and incorrect indications
b. the aircraft’s receiver is not detecting any transmissions and the ILS needle OFF flags are visible
c. from the localizer needle the captain may be receiving false course and intermittent indications and from the glide slope needle reverse sense and incorrect indications
d. from the localizer needle the captain may be receiving false course and reverse sense indications and from the glide slope needle intermittent and incorrect indications

KT1988
31st May 2019, 20:31
I am going to do my performance exam in between other exams in June session. Do anyone know how EASA was thinking about factorization in the ECQB5 newest exam questions because reading Aviation Exam explanations, looking in Bristol Groundschool online or anywhere else I can not find a straight answer.

Is it so that for example for a SEP graph when its written landing distance required we do factorize by 1,43 and if its written just landing distance we do not. Or is it so as other people say that only when the question ask to factorize that we do it ? Its really important because it would definitely not be fun to fail the exam because the question creator thought about something but forgot to tell us in the question what is being expected. This is going beyond knowing what to do and gets into guessing what the creator of the question really wanted. Because according to questionbanks its different from question to question and memorizing all the answers when you know how to use the graph..... that would be so unnecessary..... + there are new questions not included in the bank.

keith williams
1st Jun 2019, 12:40
Landing Distance (LD) is the distance that you get out of the graph (assuming you do it right).

Landing Distance Required (LDR) is the distance you get after applying the various factors to the Landing Distance.

if you do an internet search for CAP698, you will get the workbook produced by the UK CAA. For many years students could take this into their exam, but this is no longer permitted. But the book explains a great deal about this subject, including how to use the graphs and how to do the calculations.

If you do an internet search for Difference between Landing Distance and Landing Distance Required, you will find lots of useful stuff on the subject.

KT1988
1st Jun 2019, 13:03
@keith williams: Thanks for the reply, I do understand the difference. The problem is what do EASA expect because people passing the exams in different nations in Europe come with different information.

In the question banks its the same sometimes it is LDR but correct answer is LD and sometimes the other way around.... some students claimed and Aviation Exam got it as a note that in Poland we should never factorize for B class SEP unless it is clearly written that it is a commercial flight and only then LDR shall be used.

Is it even possible that EASA give different answers for the same question in different nations, can the CAA make their own questions or are the questions made by EASA and there can only be one correct answer to a question with the same data provided ? Seriously it can fail the whole exam or at least the score depending on how many questions of this kind are drawn. So I do not know who to trust the answer in the questionbank or the feedback in Aviation Exam ? There should be one simple explanation like for example LDR means LDR or only factorize if its a commercial flight and disregard everything else.

Or else this is not an exam to check what the students do know but to check who is lucky (or who memorized all numbers in question bank in case the answers there are universal (they go both ways for the same wording).

MR172
3rd Jun 2019, 06:16
KT1988

I feel your furstration, I'd the same worry so I just made a decision to factorise when they ask for LDR and not factorise when they asked for LD.

I then wrote a note to that effect in the comments box for each question where I did this.

As regards SEP thankfully they only asked for LD, not LDR so I hadn't got to make the SEP decision.

KT1988
3rd Jun 2019, 10:57
@MR172: Thanks for your reply, the point is I have not seen any comments box in the Polish CAA exam. You do the exam click that you are done and the PC immediately give you the result thats it. But I will do the Performance exam the last (got 3 sessions left after this session in case) so just in case it will not frustrate me for the other exams. And I will just remember the strange questions from question bank where they did not want factorized answer when asked about LDR and trust they got it right in question bank if I do not remember the question and answer (new question of this kind) then I do factorize if they ask LDR and hope for the best.

KT1988
7th Jun 2019, 17:06
Here is another question in Performance without a clear answer what the CAA expects. Really it looks like the Performance exam got the strangest question creators from all the exams no other exam got so confusing expectations and we do still have to pass it on first try to get a first time pass.

The question is: Consider maximum range speed and speed for maximum angle of climb. How will headwind affect those speeds (everything else remain the same).

What seems the right answer is: Maximum range speed increases and speed for maximum angle of climb remains the same

BUT the correct answer according to comments and an another question bank is: Both speeds remain the same......

Do anyone know if EASA corrected the question or we shall answer both speeds remain the same to skip contesting the question etc. itd. ? Seriously this is totally strange that other exams got their questions in shape while in this one no one knows what the CAA expect and whether or not they care about what is correct by the book.

2unlimited
7th Jun 2019, 19:27
KT1988 (https://www.pprune.org/members/477046-kt1988) - Many question banks are very bad, and contain loads of errors. The only one I would trust would be the Bristol QB.

KT1988
7th Jun 2019, 20:42
@2unlimited: Bristol today have got like 40 % real questions at most maybe and they got few questions too. I use it to check whether or not I can pass if I get all new questions since I train with Aviation Exam and Atpl questions. The real exam questions are much more like Aviation Exam and Atpl questions. And this is the question where both banks do not know what to advise. Aviation Exam got the correct answer but is not sure if CAAs did correct it, Atpl questions claim the wrong answer is what the CAAs mark as correct but that EASA was supposed to look at it in 2018.

I hope I will just not draw the question there are over 1000 questions including those new that the question banks do not know about yet, so drawing this one got to be really bad luck.

cmackay81
24th Sep 2019, 21:05
Hi All,
In the Geoff Weighell Airlaw book, there is this question:

An Aircraft in the cruise on a magnetic track of 270 degrees in accordance with the WFR might choose to cruise at which of the following levels to avoid other aircraft:
A) FL45
B) FL40
C) FL35
D) FL30

I get it, but the answer seems wrong to me. Can anyone explain?

eckhard
25th Sep 2019, 14:02
From the CAA website:

Key changes resulting from the implementation of SERA include:Cruising levels The semi-circular level system replaces the quadrantal system and brings the UK into line with ICAO standards applied elsewhere around the world. VFR and IFR aircraft are allocated different levels to fly at:

IFR flights use whole 1000's of feet (e.g. 1000, 3000 etc. when flying eastbound, and 2000, 4000 etc. when flying westbound)
VFR flights use the intermediate 500 ft. levels (e.g. 3500, 5500 etc. when flying eastbound and 4500, 6500 when flying westbound)

For VFR flights, compliance with the cruising levels remains good practice but is not mandatory.

So, I’m guessing that the correct answer is A) FL45?

cmackay81
25th Sep 2019, 16:42
eckhart

Yes, that's what I thought as well. However the answer given in the book is FL35.

I e-mailed the author today, and he has confirmed the book is incorrect, so it should be FL45 :)

lorenzop
8th Oct 2019, 09:14
Good day everybody, I will start soon to study for ATPL(H) IR exams, any suggestion on which test-per question bank choose online ? I'll sit the exams in Italy so, from what I heard Bristol GS it's preferable for sitting the exams with CAA.

Thanks

Armaan
21st Nov 2019, 19:55
HI everyone,
I'm going to be starting groundschool with L3 Harris very soon and was curious about how everyone revised/revises for their ATPL exams.
Ive heard that question banks are going to be very useful so I will definitely use them. (Are there any you guys recommend).
Also I was wondering whether to cover the content in the ATPL books before looking at the question banks as i'm not sure whether or not you can use the question bank for sub topics and specific questions, or would you guys recommend covering the content with my lecturer, at home and using the question bank at the same time. Please let me know what you guys recommend.
I also don't want to be taking notes for the sake of it, so how will i know if the information in my book is worth noting down. I don't know if i'm overthinking or not but i am slightly anxious heading in to my ATPL course.

Specaircrew
24th Jan 2020, 08:50
Pay attention, ask questions and take notes in the lessons as your TKI will emphasise important points that you need to remember. You'll be using PadPilot so read and understand the theory before attempting any Question Banks.

kikukik
13th Apr 2020, 08:29
hello,
unfortunately i got no response on the question above, but maybe someone have a clue of a new one that i got at my last exam.

Even this one i was not able to figure out or find any solution hints in the internet. I really like to meet these sadists who create such questions!

Dist. A - b = 1200nm
psr is 84% of ab
pet is 60% of ab
endurance = 8h24mins

what is the groundspeed from psr to a?

I am going already crazy with these questions...everyone i ask, no one has a clue
pet 60% 720

720 = gsr/(gso +gsr) *1200
gsr/(gso +gsr = 0.6

time to pnr 0.6*8hr 24min = 5hr 2min 24sec approx

gso 200kts with the above time

now 720 = gsr/(gsr +200) * 1200
720gsr + (200 * 720) = 1200gsr

gsr = 144000/480 = 300kts

kikukik
13th Apr 2020, 08:37
In this one according to my instructor
note when wind constant pet = pnr

from the question i deduced in this question few words are missing related 500kg fuel
but let assume without reserve and 500 kg fuel
5000kg fuel = 1200nm
so 500kg fuel = x

cross multiply 5000/500 = 1200/x

x = 1200/10 = 120nm

final result 1200 + 120 = 1320 nm answer

Pinuts
10th May 2020, 14:59
Hi all,

I am currently doing my ATPL and I am struggeling with flight planning. I am subscribed to the BGS database, but there are a lot of old questions in the database, which do not refer to the new Jeppesen. Do you have any tips on how to study this subject or how did you do it?

Thanks a lot!

RichardH
11th May 2020, 14:33
On BGS you can search for questions containing "GSPRM" there are about 70 of them last time I looked this will bring up all the new Jeppesen Manual questions both VFR & IFR. It is not so friendly when trying to do a full mock exam with everything else as it tends to throw up irrelevant Jeppesen questions. I believe other QBs give you an option or just use the new one (some parts of EASA land are still using old Jeppesen hence original questions still around)

Bahruz
24th Jul 2020, 14:55
Hello guys,
I have a question about what I encountered while ATPL exam preparation.
The question is: " When displayed in the signal area or at the end of the runway strip in use, a right-hand arrow of conspicuous colour indicates?
An Answer is: " That turns are to be made to the right before landing and after take-off. "

So, the question is clear, but I can not understand an answer indeed. What do they mean that "........before landing and after take-off? "
An according picture is in the attachment.
Thanks in advance and good luck.

RedDragonFlyer
24th Jul 2020, 15:52
In a right-hand traffic pattern all turns are made to the right.
You turn right after taking off to go from upwind to crosswind, right to turn from crosswind to downwind, right to turn from downwind to base and right to turn on to final before landing.

wiggy
24th Jul 2020, 17:11
It's slightly convoluted way of simply saying it's a Right hand pattern ( as RedDragonFlyer has said).

I suppose you could explain the wording by thinking of observing the signal square for the first time as you approach the airfield to join the traffic pattern..then the sequence makes more sense - "make all turns right before landing"..and then when you do finally leave again "make all turns right after take-off"

Bahruz
25th Jul 2020, 17:21
But, if it is the first flight that I am doing airport where there is “Right Turn” signal area. How do me join the traffic pattern without acknowledged about that Right Turn signAl (marker..)? I mean, may be, I am not noticed about that. Is this indicator shown on the Chart or AiP?

Kak Klaxon
25th Jul 2020, 22:15
In the early 1920s you would fly your death trap airliner over Croydon Airport at 2000 feet. Look at the signals square, a large piece of grass next to the control tower, and decode from the signs and arrows, (which are big and placed in the signals square by ATC, no radio communication back then,) which direction to land in, what direction the circuit was to be flown etc then descend into the circuit.

Alternatively you could descend in cloud using the chimney smoke from Croydon Power Station as a navigational fix and land on top of a house on the Purley Way.

I don’t believe I have ever seen an active signals square. Never seen a tethered airship at night either.

RichardH
26th Jul 2020, 18:54
When I was learning back in the 70s one of my early solo cross-country flights was to fly from Birmingham EGBB in a C150 (those were the days) to overfly Halfpenny Green (Wolverhampton International!) and observe & record (on paper) the signals square then report back to the CFI who had in the meantime checked with HG. Signals squares are still in use at some smaller UK GA airfields, useful for non-radio ops.

Togaa
17th Aug 2020, 09:38
Hello,

I have a question regarding the rule applicable to Class B aircraft (a 6 seater twin for example (MP1)) for the ASDR. I am studying with the book from PadPilot "Performance".

In the chapter about "Multi - engine piston MP1" and "Take-off and Acceleration Stop distance" it says "although there is no requirement to be able to stop within the ASDA from the lift-off speed, it would be advisable to plan to achieve this".

Do you know where in the Air operation manual from EASA (or in another official document ) I can find explicitly the rule that states that for a multi engine piston aircraft class B it is not obliged to respect ASDR / ASDA ? Because I spent hours looking for it and I don't understand where its coming from.

Thank you very much !

selfin
21st Aug 2020, 15:44
There's no certification or operational rule requiring accelerate-stop distance to be determined for most small aeroplanes. Were it a rule for performance class B aeroplanes it would be in CAT.POL.A.305. Compare with CAT.POL.A.205 for class A and CAT.POL.A.400 for class C. The consolidated air ops rules are on EUR-Lex (link (https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A02012R0965-20190925)) or in the EASA Easy Access Rules for Air Operations (link (https://www.easa.europa.eu/document-library/easy-access-rules/easy-access-rules-air-operations)).

Alex Whittingham
21st Aug 2020, 17:19
The rules for Class B are now in a document behind a paywall, originating from outside EASA from memory. The EASA examinars have been told that the rules they are working to are some years out of date but have not visibly reacted, nor has the syllabus been changed. When I get back to my desk I'll give you the document reference. Probably Pad Pilot are out of date, either accidentally or deliberately teaching out-of-date material to match the exam. Some sympathy there!

selfin
21st Aug 2020, 18:21
An appropriate consensus standard for 23.2115 (take-off performance) is ASTM F3179 which has been revised twice since 2016 but that version is freely viewable at https://www.astm.org/VIEW_ONLY/web/viewer.html?file=33n_8602N

There's a helpful GAMA Part 23 Rule Rewrite Training Session on Youtube (link) on the overhaul of CS/Part-23 standards done 3 years ago. In the GAMA video, at about 23 min 30 sec, there's an NTSB/GA-JSC (https://www.gajsc.org/) chart categorising fatal GA accidents over the period 2008–2015. Eyeballing the chart it appears barely one per cent of are attributed to runway excursions "RE"—see ICAO taxonomy (pdf link (https://www.icao.int/APAC/Meetings/2012_APRAST/OccurrenceCategoryDefinitions.pdf)). The chart is available on the GA Joint Steering Committee site under GA Safety Performance on the documents page (link (https://www.gajsc.org/document-center/)). Similar statistics are reported for accidents in Europe, eg EASA GA-LOC-I fact sheet (link (https://www.easa.europa.eu/domains/general-aviation/flying-safely/loss-of-control), pdf link (https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/Loss%20of%20Control%20in%20General%20Aviation%20-%20update%2017112016-%20sourcedoc-final.pdf)).

Alex Whittingham
21st Aug 2020, 22:24
That's it! I had to pay. Damn. PS good luck, it won't relate closely to Class B as you know it.

Togaa
25th Aug 2020, 20:52
Hi,

Me again. Questions regarding the calculation of the field length requirement for class B aircraft, The rule says:Takeoff Field Length Requirements - SEP and MEP

a) When no stopway or clearway is available the take-off distance when multiplied by 1.25 must not exceed TORA.

b) When a stopway and/or clearway is available the take-off distance must:i) not exceed TORAii) when multiplied by 1.3, not exceed ASDA; oriii) when multiplied by 1.15, not exceed TODAI actually have an issue understanding the "and/or" part and when to apply the i), ii), iii). If I take for example an airfield with these declared distance:

TORA = 1500m
ASDA = 1500m
TODA = 1500m

In this case, only a) is applicable. Therefore, for my aircraft, the maximum TOD will be 1500M/1.25 = 1200M

Now, let's assume that the same airfield has now a clearway of 300 m but no stopway (very common layout). The declared distances will be:

TORA = 1500m
ASDA = 1500m
TODA = 1800m

In this case, I assume that b) is applicable because there is a clearway. BUT, b) has 3 conditions:
i) not exceed TORA
ii) when multiplied by 1.3, not exceed ASDA; or
iii) when multiplied by 1.15, not exceed TODA

So if we do the calculation, we will have:
TORA 1500/1 = 1500m
ASDA 1500/1.3 = 1154m
TODA 1800/1.15 = 1565m

Therefore, this time, the limited distance will be 1154m.

And this where I am lost. Knowing that the distances (without clearway, first example) would give a limited distance of 1200M and the same distances with a clearway would give a limited distance of 1154M, Why do we bother declaring a clearway if this will reduce the takeoff weight of the aircraft ?
So, should we always apply all these 3 conditions automatically (everytime there is a clearway or a stopway or both) or should we understand : "if there is a clearway, and no stopway, only apply i) and iii)" ? Which would make more sense for me. because that way, in the second example, the limited distance would be 1565m vs 1200m and then, the presence of a clearway is useful.

Am I correct ?

Thanks !

Marnixsjoerd
21st Oct 2020, 10:18
Hi,

Does anyone know if EASA uses 27 or 30 hPa for calculations?
I've come up short in my google search as they are both mentioned.

Thanks for the info

PFD
22nd Oct 2020, 08:33
In the new syllabus for 2020 Met is definitely 30 feet per hPa

xplanefactor
13th Nov 2020, 09:35
Is anyone doing the new EASA ATPL theory program? I wanted to know if they still was the flight Computer and if it was still used in the new EASA ATPL program which has changed recently...? Any ideas?

xplanefactor
13th Nov 2020, 09:36
it 30ft used for EASA ATPL exams! Sure!

xplanefactor
13th Nov 2020, 09:37
In the new syllabus for 2020 Met is definitely 30 feet per hPa
it 's 30ft/hPa used for EASA ATPL exams! Sure!

Detrol5
26th Nov 2020, 17:49
Does anyone knows a good free question bank so you can refresh some knowledge, I've been looking for one but I am not able, all of then have free examples but thats not enough, I used to use Aviation exam but 170€ for a year it's to much for me right know, anyone knows something

Thank you in advanced

Alex Whittingham
26th Nov 2020, 18:55
If you don't want to pay, the one known as paco has one that I think is free. He'll be on shortly I imagine. Most pay-for-use QBs give you free access for a limited time.

paco
26th Nov 2020, 19:10
The one known as paco is indeed lurking.... :)

rtfq.org

No explanations, 50/50 button. use like flash cards

Specaircrew
9th Dec 2020, 14:53
Detrol5

If you can stretch your budget to £12 you could give atplontrack a try for a month ;-)

Central Scrutinizer
4th Feb 2021, 15:42
Hi,

Does anyone know if EASA uses 27 or 30 hPa for calculations?
I've come up short in my google search as they are both mentioned.

Thanks for the info

This is an interesting question.

When I sat my exams 2017-18, some subjects used 27 ft/hPa and others used 30. In fact, I remember a question in which depending on which assumption you used you obtained one of the possible options or another, which is really just plain mean by EASA.

paco
4th Feb 2021, 17:10
I believe the standard is now 30 (for the new syllabus), but the question should specify

ATPLeasa
8th Aug 2021, 03:25
Good day pilots,

Currently studying for atpl exams and I stumbled upon a weird question in performance. "Most jet aircraft cruise at ___ of their maximum rpm"

I have studied both ATPL questions and now aviation exam and it appears the answer is different in each database.

In aviation exam it is: 75-85%
while in aptl questions the correct answer is 85-90%

So which one is correct? or most correct?

Specaircrew
17th Aug 2021, 20:52
All the multi engine jets that I've flown are definitely in the 85-90% RPM band with the possible exception of the Vulcan which was so overpowered that long range cruise power, as I recall, was slightly less ;-) Of course the person that set the question may live in the theoretical rather than the real world, however my ' Boys Book of Aeroplanes'(AP3456) states that turbojet aircraft cruise using approx 90% of max thrust for the best range.

Banana Joe
18th Aug 2021, 14:36
Jet engines are more efficient at high altitude and high rpm because of better SFC.

john_tullamarine
19th Aug 2021, 02:44
When I sat my exams 2017-18, some subjects used 27 ft/hPa and others used 30.

Just so long as we all keep in mind that both are wrong except for the particular Hp values where they are correct (around 3000 ft).

For interest, I put some stuff which you might find relevant at the following link

Bob Tait's Aviation Theory School - DenAlt... 1 Degree C = 120 feet and also = 500 feet. WTF? - Bob Tait's Aviation Theory School Forums (https://bobtait.com.au/forum/general-enquiries/6837-denalt-1-degree-c-120-feet-and-also-500-feet-wtf)

which includes a link to another thread which has a graphic which may be useful

Bob Tait's Aviation Theory School - Altimetry Rates - Bob Tait's Aviation Theory School Forums (https://bobtait.com.au/forum/performance/6777-altimetry-rates#13257)

Some of the fanatical support for 30 ft/hPa I see around the traps beggars belief ...

ashdaviator
28th Sep 2021, 11:10
A twin engine aeroplane is certified for a MSTOM and a MSLM of 58 000 kg and
55 000 kg respectfully. What is the limiting take-off mass for the aeroplane?
PLTOM 61 000 kg
PLLM 54 000 kg
MZFM 36 000 kg
Operating mass 55 000 kg
Trip fuel 36 000 kg
Alternative fuel 500 kg
Final reserve 500 kg
Flight duration 3 hours
Fuel consumption 500 kg per hour
OR

What is the maximum take-off mass given:
MSTOM 43 000 kg
MSLM 35 000 kg
PLLM 33 000 kg
MZFM 31 000 kg
DOM 19 000 kg
Total Fuel capacity 12 500 kg
Maximum Trip Fuel 9000 kg
Contingency fuel 1000 kg
Alternate fuel 500 kg

Unable to figure out a clear methodology to solve these questions, unless solution is seen. Do i need a basic table reconstruct and how should it be ?

flapsupboy
28th Sep 2021, 14:28
use this to understand the basic principle
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1125x974/c5364ac8_1c3c_4856_a7cc_0fa3dc358c7a_49415578a0d693d2a25d6e6 85ed1711161f7660f.jpeg
This will help you for a lot of questions.

ashdaviator
29th Sep 2021, 13:34
Already using this. but may be need more practice with this to get correct flow in solutions. Thanks a ton for sharing