PDA

View Full Version : Chasing ex students - Southern Air Services

strutless
24th Jun 2011, 08:42
Hi there I am looking for ex students that were at SAS at Moorabbin back when I was flying from there, around 77-79. Was chasing a few names of instructors that escape me in my old age.

Any help appreciated. send me a private message perhaps.

gnomie
24th Jun 2011, 10:05
Cant immediately put my hands on log book #1 but a couple of names which spring to mind. Tony Malins, David Blain, Derek Worthington and John Burns. Cheers

Wallsofchina
24th Jun 2011, 10:14
David Anderson, R. Carrington, J. Hollingsworth, W. Dunlop, G. Villiers, G. Wheeldon.

Good guys.

QSK?
27th Jun 2011, 01:51
Brian Reddish (instructor)?

Marquis100
28th Jun 2011, 11:54
I did my NVFR in the 70s with SAS. Tony Malins instructed and checked me out ( a great guy who I think ended up as chief pilot for DragonAir out of HongKong). I believe I also aviated with John Burns (my No 1 log book has gone missing to). And wasnt Brian Reddish the guy who owned the Beech Muskateer on line? I can also remember a great social dance night at SAS in the 70s where my partner and I took a beautiful night-time scenic flight over Melbourne in an Aztec with Tony as the pilot. We had a bottle of champagne in the back. The Southern rates were also some of the best on the field and the atmosphere was always friendly.

QSK?
29th Jun 2011, 01:45
Marquis 100:
And wasnt Brian Reddish the guy who owned the Beech Muskateer on line?
Yep, and I seem to recall the registration of that aircraft was VH-CTQ

BEEKEEPER
28th Aug 2011, 02:53
Brian Reddish is still around. I can give you a contact should you wish to leave your name and email

PeterG2000
9th Apr 2014, 01:55
I was there at SAS about from 75-78

I can remember David Blain, Don Sowman ( his wife Julie was the receptionist).. Don was killed in accident 11/2/1980 when the DHC Beaver he was flying crashed into a hill at Flowerdale

Also Tony Malins... he went off to the UK and did his air transport licence

A few other names come up in my log book,,, P Smith , C Ferrier, D Gower , Ross Pascoe, Brian Reddish

I still have my log book..,.

And a large print of KHW ..thts was the Bonanza Southern Air had... SAS is written on the tail... I had a bit of time in KHW..hence a print..I reckon print is 3 x 2 foot... and my wife reckoned..throw it out..na na..no way

ok..Pete

( i actually know of David Blain's instructor to.. a guy by the name of Paul McClelland...who ended up with Ansett and was a father son team in the cockpit of a boeing 727...His father was a senior captain at Ansett... a photo appeared in the Sun years ago...)