PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft down in Lake Jindabyne

terry walls
24th Jun 2011, 03:16
The ABC is reporting an aircraft has crashed into Lake Jindabyne.

Police have retrieved the bodies of two men from a light plane that crashed into a lake in the New South Wales Snowy Mountains this morning.

The plane crashed into Lake Jindabyne near East Jindabyne about 11:30am (AEST).

There had been reports of four people on board the plane but it is not yet clear whether emergency services are searching for more bodies.

Among those who saw the plane before it crashed was Viveka Hocking.

"Some kind of old fashioned kind of plane flying really low in from the mountains. It was quite unusual. I was wondering exactly what it was," she said.

"Then a bit later I heard the noise. I didn't know it had crashed."

Wally Mk2
24th Jun 2011, 04:13
Just heard this on the ABC. Saying that it was an ultra-light with two deceased.
Sad news indeed

RIP fellow aviators we shall all join you someday up there amongst the clouds

Wmk2

catseye
24th Jun 2011, 05:43
Hope it wasn't this lot. Lots of interesting aviation activity from Jindy after the strip was opened.

http://www.seaplanesaustralia.com.au/default.htm:

:uhoh:

TunaBum
24th Jun 2011, 05:56
I understand it a Super Petrel LS - 247654.

SP Homepage (http://www.visioninaction.tv/page/23233/default.asp)

RIP

Tuna :sad:

R.Haydon
24th Jun 2011, 08:13
I was at school in Jindabyne and saw the plane flying around only 10 before said time of crash. You could not have asked for a better day for flying in the area.

Extremely sad day on the shores of Lake Jindabyne and the loss of two fellow aviators

MakeItHappenCaptain
24th Jun 2011, 08:23
I understand it a Super Petrel

Some kind of old fashioned kind of plane :rolleyes:

R.Haydon
24th Jun 2011, 08:37
I believe it was an SP judging by the wreckage.

Old fashion looking due to its bi-plane style wings.

More info at Two die as seaplane plummets into NSW lake (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8264995/ultra-light-plane-crashes-on-north-coast)

spinex
24th Jun 2011, 08:42
Weeellll a Super Petrel is a bi plane and like many pushers does have a slightly unusual noise signature. Must say it is the first aircraft that came to mind when witnesses spoke of "kind of old fashioned" , "made a strange noise" and "seaplane" - yeah I know its an amphibian but we are dealing with Josephine Public:8

Sad event anyway, saw the owner 2 weeks ago but didn't go and say hi because he was busy with someone else; bugger, expected to see him around at the next fly in.

strutless
24th Jun 2011, 08:45
Float flying is something that I have always been interested in and it makes you realise that there are risks on the water just as there are elsewhere, boats or aircraft. RIP fellow aviators.

Al Fentanyl
24th Jun 2011, 09:08
ABC TV tonight...." fishermen heard the engine stall" :rolleyes:

Arnold E
24th Jun 2011, 11:52
heard the engine stallThe engine on my car has stalled more than once :rolleyes:
Nothing unusual there

the dos
24th Jun 2011, 16:01
Rest in piece my friend,

For those of us who knew you, you were a wealth of knowledge not just in aviation but in life. You would show us the right road when times where tough and laugh with us when times were rough. You were a brilliant man and your family and friends are so proud of you. May we see you one day in the great heaven above.

R.I.P. and many condolences to your family.

MilFlyer
25th Jun 2011, 10:00
ABC TV tonight...." fishermen heard the engine stall" :rolleyes:

No need to be too harsh on them, unless the reporter had said they were 'aviation experts'.

Poor guys (and / or gals). At least god gave them a beautiful countryside to enjoy as there last moments. :(