PDA

View Full Version : IFR NPA Vis Minina AIP Significant Change

MakeItHappenCaptain
23rd Jun 2011, 02:28
AIP has removed any reference to increasing visibility by 900M for a non-precision approach if HIALS are unavailable.

Previously listed at ENR 1.5 Para 5.4 Deleted 2 Jun 2011 and Jepps Terminal 4.7?? Deleted 27 May 2011.

Any takers as to whether ASL can get their act together and amend any relevant IREX questions?:E

Jabawocky
23rd Jun 2011, 05:21
not betting against you on that one! :}

das Uber Soldat
23rd Jun 2011, 07:30
dammit that was one of my favorite questions too.

PyroTek
23rd Jun 2011, 08:22
Doesn't matter what ASL does... Put the previously correct answer in and it's correct? good. Put the previously incorrect answer in and get it wrong? Dispute it :cool:
It's practically a free mark if ASL doesn't fix it.

swh
23rd Jun 2011, 08:55
From what I understand ASL is the service provider, and CASA is the content provider. ASL just facilitate and deliver the content provided to them by CASA.

Looking at my Jepp charts, they still show two visibility requirements, one with HAILS out which is 800m higher.

mcgrath50
23rd Jun 2011, 09:11
Conisdering when I sat Nav at the start of this year they hadn't updated Sunshine Coast/Maroochydore, I doubt it.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
23rd Jun 2011, 10:18
If you get it wrong and complain to CASA you will never know. I doubt very very much that they pay any attention to our complaints.

FRQ CB

MakeItHappenCaptain
23rd Jun 2011, 10:25
Looking at my Jepp charts, they still show two visibility requirements, one with HAILS out which is 800m higher.

No, 900m higher but there is no wording in either Jepps ATC or the AIP to enact it.
DAPS got no indication of any alterations to the min vis whatsoever.

Charts are always the last thing to change anyway.

Anyone know if Airservices publish a list of changes similar to the list of chart amendments in the SUPPS/AIC's?

Capn Bloggs
23rd Jun 2011, 15:03
So I suppose there'll be another multipage Jepp amendment getting rid of all the LOC vis minimas for "HIALS OUT"? Like changing the 500m to 550m...

No wonder they cost so much. :cool:

Nice now being able to disconnect the AP half way down the ILS now and still use 800m. Another "question" bites the dust. :E

alphacentauri
23rd Jun 2011, 23:32
Ummm just for info,

CASA MOS 173 shows the formulas to be used for calculation of vis for NPA and precisiion approaches. You'll find that approach lighting is not taken into consideration at all for the publication of vis on NPA. This has been the case for many years......and so increase of vis when HIALS not available has never really been required.

So this is just AIP aligning itself with the current rules for vis calculation.

I don't expect there will be any large vis changes required.

Alpha

MakeItHappenCaptain
24th Jun 2011, 04:57
Nice now being able to disconnect the AP half way down the ILS now and still use 800m.

na ah.......

ENR 1.5 Para 4.7.3 b

minimum visibility 1.2 km required unless:
(1) the aircraft is manually flown to at least the CAT I DA using a flight director or approved HUDLS; or the aircraft is flown to the CAT I DA with an autopilot coupled (LOC and GP); and

ps. Dopey me realised the first amendment page of the AIP does list the significant changes to AIP.
pss. This wasn't one of them.

Capn Bloggs
24th Jun 2011, 05:17
MIHC, the previous rule said you had to hand-fly "for the entire approach". Those words were removed with this revision. Now there is nothing stopping you disconnecting the AP half way down and hand-flying, provided you still use the FD.

If you don't use the FD (or turn it off), only then does the vis change to 1.2km. That's the way I read it.

MakeItHappenCaptain
24th Jun 2011, 08:30
I wouldn't exactly call the DA halfway down the approach.......
It's just about all over by that stage, but that's just me.:)
Do see your point though.

aussie027
25th Jun 2011, 05:33
I was never told why we even had these increased minima here in OZ to begin with.
Did this get put in after some accident more than 25 yrs ago??? (which is how long Ive had a MECIR) The rules have been the same for that long at least.

In the US for example you can and are expected to fly a Cat 1 approach to Cat 1 minima regardless of your aircraft equipment.
That is you can hand fly the approach with no FD and certainly no coupled AP to 200' and 1/2mile (800m) viz.
On a IR flt test you will be expected to do so.
Many people there do the IR in SE aircraft like C172/182 etc.