PDA

View Full Version : Speaker/headphone issue

pudoc
22nd Jun 2011, 22:34
I've got a problem with my Samsung N220 netbook.

If I plug my headphones in usually the sound will only come out through the headphones. But for some reason, the sound on the right headphone also plays through the computers speaker. This doesn't happen on the left side.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium which I reinstalled yesterday - this is when the problem started. This leads me to believe it's a driver issue, but reinstalling the drivers has no effect.

Thanks in advance.

jimtherev
22nd Jun 2011, 22:58
Most likely cause is that something is preventing the jack from being fully pushed in. The jack socket is a fairly crude device that should mechanically disconnect each channel from the speakers and re-route it to the phones. Do you happen to have another set of cans you can try?

pudoc
23rd Jun 2011, 14:32
Thanks for the response.

I've tried 2 different pair and the same problem occurs. It is as if, as you say, the right speaker isn't being cut off.

Since my original post I've tried numerous Realtek driver (my chipset is Realtek) but it doesn't seem to be fixing the problem.

This leads me to think that the headphone jack itself is broken in some way.

green granite
23rd Jun 2011, 15:00
Change to USB headphones, problem solved.

Cheerio
23rd Jun 2011, 21:28
I wish you luck! I have a Lenovo Ideapad netbook that got a clean W7 home premium install and despite all the drivers going on in the right sequence, try as I might since 3 months, I can't get any sound out of it since then. (Conexant HD Audio driver). I suspect a there is fight between ACPI and Conexant somehow, but its way over my head. I'd stick linux on it but I see that HD sound is an issue for that too. :/

pudoc
24th Jun 2011, 10:57
Funnily enough, the reason I installed Windows 7 was to get rid of Linux. It's great, quick boot up and shut down times. No need to wait for "windows is installing updates, don't turn off your PC". I just had to get rid of if due to software compatibility.

Although, I had no problem with HD sound on Linux. I can't remember what distro I used though. I ended up installing about 15 different ones before I found the right one.