PDA

View Full Version : BA crew have voted to accept deal

Betty girl
22nd Jun 2011, 16:29
Just announced the cabin crew have voted to accept the deal from BA.

petermcleland
23rd Jun 2011, 23:36
Well that's a relief! Thanks for announcing it Betty Girl, and thank you for all your posts.

Basil
24th Jun 2011, 10:47
Now you tell me!
After D1 has booked VIRGIN SYD-LHR in July :{

fruitbat
24th Jun 2011, 11:11
With a Virgin pilot strike which has to be called by the middle of July, that probably wasn't a smart move...

Ancient Observer
24th Jun 2011, 12:32
Thanks for the info, BG.

Thanks to the mods who have, er, put up with us all over the last few years.

rethymnon
25th Jun 2011, 08:25
do we have any figures for the acceptance vote? it would be interesting to see how many voted and the size of the 'YES' and 'NO' votes.

my thanks also for the mods patience both here and on the SLF forum-particularly the latter where i felt the discussion, possibly fuelled by disinterest (the observer sees more of the game...) reached heights the CC forum sometimes lacked.

Betty girl
25th Jun 2011, 08:44
This was posted a few days ago by another poster and shows all the ballot results including the most recent.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

After the Ballots were over
Ballot numbers and percentages

0.0_ Invalid strike vote 16 November - 14 December 2009
_____________________Total__Yes____No___Spoiled__Not returned
Number of ballot papers 12780__ 9514 ___770____2______2494
Percentages__________100%_-_74.0%__6.0%__0.01%___19.5%

1.0 _ Valid strike vote 25 Jan - 22 Feb 2010
_____________________Total__Yes____No___Spoiled__Not returned
Number of ballot papers_11691_ 7482 __1789___11______2409
Percentages__________100%_-_64.0%_15.3%__0.1%___20.6%

2.0 _ New Contract offered by BA. reported by the Electoral Reform Service on 20 July 2010
_____________________Total___Yes___No___Spoiled_Not returned
Number of ballot papers_11311__1686__3419___3______6203
Percentages__________ 100%_-15.0%_30.2%_-0.03%__54.8%

3.0 _ Flawed Strike Ballot (reported by Unite) 21 December 2010 - 21 January 2011
Number of ballot papers_10220__5751__1579___5______2885
Percentages__________ 100%_-56.3%_15.5%_-0.05%__28.2%

4.0 _ Consequential Strike Ballot 1 March - 28 March 2011
Number of ballot papers_-9824__5811__1170___4______2839
Percentages__________ 100%_-59.2%_11.9%_-0.04%__28.9%

5.0 _ Settlement Ballot 30 May – 22 June 2011
Number of ballot papers__9888__6509___579___9______2791
Percentages__________ 100%__-66%___6%_-0.001%_2828%

The references for all these ballot numbers are listed at http://www.h1932.com/References/ (http://www.h1932.com/References/)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope that helps.

BF and Liz have just posted a joint statement asking everyone to move on and talking a lot about working together. It also mentions that they will be continuing to use the help of the company that helped them get over their differences during the negotiations.

Things are moving on and most crew are much more positive about the future.

It is still hard due to routes going over to Mixed Fleet a bit quickly and WW and E/F crew being left a bit shorter of work than normal, coupled with the fact that many main crew feel that unless they transfer to Mixed Fleet (with the total lifestyle change that would bring) they will never get promotion.

Now that some of our favorite destinations are moving over it does strike home how much this will change all of our lives.

Having said that though, the company is making huge changes and including crew in many projects ( from all the fleets) and from that point of view, the future looks good.Changes to our product are already happening and change putting our customer at the centre of our decisions will continue to be rolled out over the next year and onwards.

Thanks BG

PPRuNe Pop
25th Jun 2011, 14:09
Well, you have had centre stage for some considerable time - at no charge ;) It is time to let the cooling process continue and give the mods a rest. You will, no doubt, agree to that. TightSlot, Flaps and Flyblue all all tuckered out.

Btw. "What airline serves the best sausage?" or " if I flush the loo while sitting on it, will I get sucked in?" etc.

An interesting question which is simple to answer. It depends on which gender you are. :E

As for sausages - Cumberland are the best.

Best wishes.

Caribbean Boy
25th Jun 2011, 18:14
I joined this forum to contribute to the cabin crew discussions on the strikes. I learnt a lot about how cabin crew think and work, and I had the unexpected pleasure of meeting Tiramisu on several occasions. I also had not expected to make 341 posts before today.

So, this is my last post unless another dispute occurs, but this looks less likely as Mixed Fleet grows and Unite's membership continues to decline.

beerdrinker
25th Jun 2011, 21:59
May I ask who now represents Cabin Crew at LHR? If it is UNITE and do BASSA & CC89 no longer have repesentation rights? Or are Bassa and CC89 still in existance?

What has happened to DH? Is he now employed by Unite?

BD

Betty girl
25th Jun 2011, 22:50
BASSA and Amicus(CC89) are going to merge and keep the name BASSA.

They still represent WW and EF and are setting up a separate branch to represent SFG; and they have also been given the right to negotiate for M/F with a separate branch also. Negotiations with the three branches will be totally separate from each other.

LD12986
25th Jun 2011, 23:55
Am pleased for Betty Girl, Tiramisu and others that this is now all over.

Everyone on both sides has to leave what has happened in the past and move on.

Human Factor
30th Jun 2011, 08:23
So what did BASSA achieve in the end, versus what they would have achieved had they not thrown their toys out of the cot? Not much different I would venture, apart from the speedier arrival of Mixed Fleet. :oh:

I retire from PPrune safe in the knowledge that the lunatics didn't take over the asylum in the end.

As for sausages - Cumberland are the best.

Nearly. Lincolnshire. :ok:

Safe flying.

Nervous SLF
1st Jul 2011, 04:42
Sorry to say that DH will not be re-employed by B.A. and is in fact still un-employed. I have always found him to be a good sort and honest.

TightSlot
1st Jul 2011, 07:46
No, No, No - we're not starting all that again! You're trolling and we're all much more grown up than to rise to it.

Count Niemantznarr
2nd Jul 2011, 10:26
I think it is perfectly clear what the BA cabin crew achieved, besides the obvious payrise, protection of their T&C's, top up payments, double nights after long range protected, part time list cleared every three months and staff travel fully restored. Didn't they do well!

But their greatest victory was a negotiated settlement, not one that was imposed. The union busting strategy failed and in the end BA's senior management and CEO had to talk to the BASSA reps.

hunterboy
2nd Jul 2011, 14:26
Count......Better tell your reps to start negotiating for the next business plan then.
Let us hope they do as "well" as the last time.

Yellow Pen
2nd Jul 2011, 14:49
I think it is perfectly clear what the BA cabin crew achieved, besides the obvious payrise,Yep, the sub-corporate payrise, with a self-funded 1.1% rise. Looks the same as the non-strikers got too!

....protection of their T&C's.......but not from MF,

...top up payments, ..which were in BA's very first offer.

..... double nights after long range protected,..which were never under threat except for long range diversions and they have gone.

part time list cleared every three months...to make more space for Mixed Fleet to grow
and staff travel fully restored....which it isn't.

. Didn't they do well!Splendidly I would say. :E

Dawdler
2nd Jul 2011, 15:07
It could all have been so different if the BASSA execs had actually engaged in the cost reduction scheme in the first place. Everyone would have been so much better off, CC, BA and of course passengers. Sadly they took their weapon of last resort out of the holster pretty well immediately. Perhaps the unions will learn something from this, i.e. "How not to run a dispute". They might also learn that distorting the truth and telling downright lies, does not advance their argument.

Dawdler
2nd Jul 2011, 20:46
Rumour has it (and this is a rumour network after all) that an apology will hit the airwaves next week from Unite/Bassa in the direction of a pilot who was the subject of vilification and victimisation on the BASSA forum. Apparently a substantial sum of money is to be paid the victim in order to keep it out of court. Also, watch out for the possible re-emergence of the bassa forum sometime soon.

CornishFlyer
2nd Jul 2011, 23:14
Just a FYI Yellow Pen, staff travel IS being fully restored but it's a manual process which will take time :ok:

VintageKrug
3rd Jul 2011, 06:51
Rather than the usual "Oh, no it isn't" type responses, it's best to have the facts to hand.

Here is the actual settlement:

http://library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1103933565912-9/Final+Joint+Agreed+Settlement+Stoke+Place+110511.pdf

The return of (now formally conceded to be "non-contractual") staff travel is dependent on a number of behavioural changes, here is the Staff Travel side letter, which does not form part of the Agreement:

http://library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1103933565912-10/Agreed+LTR+on+Stf+Tvl+KW+to+LMcC+110511.pdf

It's been a pleasure these past few months! Goodbye ;)

Betty girl
3rd Jul 2011, 07:45
VK. This was sent to all cabin crew two days ago! It was a message to cabin crew and that is probably why many of you are unaware of it!

Message from Bill Francis - Restoration of staff travel

Dear colleague

I am pleased to be able to write to you today to confirm that arrangements are being made to restore travel concessions to all cabin crew.

During the negotiations, Keith Williams promised to recommend to the BA Board that travel concessions be returned once a settlement had been accepted and certain conditions had been met. Unite have now met all of those requirements.

As you know, the recent ballot of cabin crew ratified the settlement document. There has also been lots of work going on behind the scenes to meet the other criteria. These include implementation of a single cabin crew union branch, a new facilities structure and improvements to our working relationship.

As a result, the BA Board has this afternoon confirmed its approval.

I have therefore asked the staff travel team to work as quickly as possible to make this happen for all eligible cabin crew, so please bear with us. This manual update to our online systems covers all non-contractual and discretionary status related travel including free ticket eligibility and recognition of service for all tickets including standby tickets.

I know this has been an important issue for many of you and so I am really pleased we can now draw a line under it and move forward with a genuine commitment to work together.

Thank you.

I hope that is factual enough!

mrpony
3rd Jul 2011, 08:17
I'm glad it's all ended up not too bad. The main culprit will never, it would seem, darken our doors again and the organisation of the Union is being changed into something more suitable for its purpose. Will the accounts ever see the light of day? 50/50 I'd say. If they don't it will merely confirm what many have suspected in my view.

Staff Travel being returned before BA would necessarily have to do so is a good sign because it is a vote of confidence. It was time for a bit of carrot.

Whichever way you look at it, BA has achieved a massive amount.

Betty girl
3rd Jul 2011, 10:35
I know some of you will be upset as was I, but the united Amicus and BASSA branch will still be called BASSA.

BASSA remains the same, all be it with some changes to the way BA and it do business; but it is keeping it's name and has gained the right to negotiate for Mixed Fleet in their own separate section.

I was personally hoping for a name change to Unite but that is not happening. LM is still there at the moment as are most of the reps.

mrpony
3rd Jul 2011, 11:40
That is a shame BG, and some will see it as a sign of the branch having survived and they'd be right. LM is a member of UNITE's executive Council. BASSA gives UNITE about 1 million every year.

They'd be silly to get rid of a brand that most subs-paying members identify with. The Labour Party need the money, as do UNITE for Len's fat pension!

Dawdler
3rd Jul 2011, 15:35
Is LM still employed by BA?

JUAN TRIPP
4th Jul 2011, 11:13
Yes if you mean Ms Malone, she is still with BA.

As for the rest we shall have to see. Like a lot of others here, I would like to say farewell on this subject, although never say never as they say, so could be back if something REALLY interesting comes along. Its been a pleasure reading all the posts. There are some people out there who really know their stuff and know the history of Bassa. I've been very impressed.

Do I think this is all over. Ummmm? Not sure. If I took a guess - No. The biggest problems I see in the future are whether BA are going to stick to what was written on the document or are they happy with Mixed fleet and the crew changes on the main fleets? Lets face it, one of the things written on there, was there had to be a change in the tone of Bassa's comms and they had to start to be more factual. IMO this hasn't happened as DH has sent out those emails with veiled threats about the non strikers, and Unite still have the devil photo of WW. Seems BA perhaps aren't bothered, but I am, as I'm still dealing with the strikers rhetoric, myths and untruths on a daily basis.

I give it 12-18 months before something kicks off again, but I REALLY hope I'm wrong.

Thanks again everyone. Its been JUAN hell of a TRIPP!! :ok::ok:

PS. I nearly forgot! Thanks to all the mods for putting up with us. It can't have been easy at times

24-06
9th Jul 2011, 05:20
I think that on 1st July, cabin crew were advised work was being undertaken, as quickly as possible, to restore staff travel concessions and that this necessitated a manual update to online systems. Does anyone know if this has been completed yet? Can cabin crew that took industrial action actually make a standby booking now? If not, is there any awareness as to when they will be able to?.

oh-oh
9th Jul 2011, 06:53
I guess you'll know when you book into the Staff Travel site and it lets you make a booking.
I don't suppose BA will send individual notifications out to all Cabin Crew.

Betty girl
9th Jul 2011, 13:29
Yes they can make bookings now with their seniority.

A few people that started their careers with British Caledonian and Dan Air etc. have incorrect start dates. ie. when their previous airline became part of BA; and these more complicated start dates are being entered by hand and will take a bit longer to sort out.

Basically all the people who started with BA have the correct staff travel date and others who started their career with another airline can use their concessions but their correct start date will be entered as soon as possible and the relevant seniority will then be corrected.

24-06
10th Jul 2011, 00:50
Betty Girl, thanks very much for this information. A font of wisdom and helpful information as always! Glad to finally feel comfortable enough to use my staff travel after all these months...

kappa
10th Jul 2011, 03:38
I am dumbstruck that BA CC staff have to go to a PPRuNe forum to find current information about their T&Cs!

lowcostdolly
10th Jul 2011, 10:01
Not sure this is the right thread.....

I have been offered a position with mixed fleet. Initially I was thrilled.

It offered me good pay in comparison to my present position, the T&C's are in line with aviation today and there is a defined career path for any position on this fleet as defined on the recruitment website.

I know there are rostering issues but coming from loco I'm used to those!!!

Over the past few weeks I have been looking at the BA forum on www.cabincrew.com (http://www.cabincrew.com) to gain info. I didn't gain much info but certainly gained insight

On there I can view the following
CabinCrew.com: Keith Williams (http://www.cabincrew.com/ccnetwork/forum_posts.asp?TID=44972)

Not the best advertisment on how BA, as a cabin crew community, have apparently "moved on". The OP "flymetryme", clearly existing crew and pro bassa, starts a "bun fight" in the CEO's name. Many posts later another crew member "cadela" states "this is why we will never move on".

CC still snipe at Pilots and vice versa.......yet BA have moved on?

And last night a long running (relatively) thread re an alledged Bassa apology on the B&H of a fellow crew member was locked and deleted. It was very intresting.

It appears to have been locked not because it was deemed sensitive on thread topic as lock down would have happened a lot earlier.

It happened because an apparently loyal BA customer felt he/she experienced the same behaviour from a BA CC member.

I'm going to turn the position down. Where I am now we don't treat our customers in this way, the Pilots and CC are one team wherever we are, and there are no inter fleet issues or indeed any issues of note between the CC.

flyingandserving
10th Jul 2011, 10:55
I suggest that you go back and re-read the post on cabincrew.com that you allude too as the posting ref Keith Williams is praising the fact the Mr Williams has helped resolve the dispute - in fact the post states:

"What a great bloke - solved the IA angst in a jiffy......

Crew have their staff travel back in full from today.....

Nice bit of back-pay in their July salaries.....

Just one trades union to deal with instead of two....

Everyone getting back to making BA the best airline in the world again...

What a difference a day (CEO) makes................

Time to all work together and make British Airways once more 'The World's Favourite Airline'........

No matter what fleet your are on!"

It seems that the ones who started the bun fight were those that wished to prolong the dispute.

And with reference to the thread that was locked out last night - I can confirm it was locked out after a complaint to the moderating team on that forum that your so called "loyal BA customer" had made serious and libellous accusations about BASSA representatives leaking information about a confidential agreement onto the world wide web

I can also confirm that your so called "loyal BA customer" had received a number of warnings from the moderator on that forum for publicly naming individuals on that forum.

Quite clearly there are two sides to a story - and you would know that wouldnt you? As you are waiting to fly
:ok:

Betty girl
10th Jul 2011, 15:36
Most of the people, that post, on that particular thread are not cabin crew.

Take it from me that that website dose not represent the views of over 14,000 cabin crew. It is full of cabin crew haters, stirrers and people that don't even work for BA.

Take no notice of it because in reality BA cabin crew all get on fine. We all went through an interview process which was designed to take on people that get on with people and that's what the majority of us are doing.

Don't let what you read on that website alter your opinion because in real life we all get on fine!

flyingandserving
10th Jul 2011, 16:27
I absolutely agree with you 100%

Already the mood within BA has changed and all the crew that I have come across are now focused on getting BA back to where it was 10 years ago.

You are correct in what you say about that other forum - a small group of non-BA cabin crew seemed intent on goading and baiting BASSA supporters and one poster was warned on a number of occasions about naming people in public.

Thankfully BA and it's staff can move forward

TightSlot
11th Jul 2011, 06:35
And on that happy note, so can we.